Incorrect "architecture" fact value during catalog run

Alexander Azarov

Oct 31, 2011, 12:25:24 PM10/31/11
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Can you help me diagnose a problem please?

I have Facter 1.6.2 and Puppet 2.7.6 installed and what happens is that I rely on "architecture" fact in my manifests and this fact looks correct when I run Facter and it is set to incorrect value during catalog run:

r4:/var/log# facter -p | grep architecture
architecture => amd64

r4:/var/log# puppet facts find r4.osinka.int
....,"architecture":"amd64",...

r4:/var/log# puppet agent --test --noop
info: Retrieving plugin
info: Loading facts in ec2_facts
info: Loading facts in ec2_facts
info: Caching catalog for r4.osinka.int
info: Applying configuration version '1320071507'
notice: /Stage[main]/Nginx/Notify[Architecture x86_64]/message: current_value absent, should be Architecture x86_64 (noop)

Any ideas? Where to dig?

Regards,
Alexander Azarov

Adrien Thebo

Oct 31, 2011, 12:43:50 PM10/31/11
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
What operating system is this? I'm looking at the documentation for
the architecture fact, and theres this:

# Resolution:
# On OpenBSD, Linux and Debian's kfreebsd, use the hardwaremodel fact.
# Gentoo and Debian call "x86_86" "amd64".
# Gentoo also calls "i386" "x86".

Alexander Azarov

Oct 31, 2011, 1:55:00 PM10/31/11
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
This is Debian 6.0.3

Adrien Thebo

Oct 31, 2011, 2:28:12 PM10/31/11
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Just as a curiosity, what web server are you using for your puppet master?

> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/puppet-users/-/Y16JfpyutBUJ.

Alexander Azarov

Oct 31, 2011, 2:33:00 PM10/31/11
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
The simplest default, that is WEBrick I guess.

>> > puppet-...@googlegroups.com.

Adrien Thebo

Nov 3, 2011, 12:27:01 PM11/3/11
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Could you post the operatingsystem fact alongside the architecture
fact for facter by itself, and then the facts as presented by puppet?

> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/puppet-users/-/p4LKkKnYaJcJ.

Alexander Azarov

Nov 4, 2011, 1:25:22 AM11/4/11
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:27:01 PM UTC+4, Adrien Thebo wrote:
Could you post the operatingsystem fact alongside the architecture
fact for facter by itself, and then the facts as presented by puppet?

r3:/var/log# facter | grep -e '\(operatingsys\|architec\)'
architecture => amd64
operatingsystem => Debian
operatingsystemrelease => 6.0.3

r3:/var/log# puppet agent --test
notice: operatingsystem='Debian' architecture='x86_64'
notice: /Stage[main]/Nginx/Notify[operatingsystem='Debian' architecture='x86_64']/message: defined 'message' as 'operatingsystem='Debian' architecture='x86_64''

>> > --
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
>> >

> --
> "Puppet Users" group.

Adrien Thebo

Nov 4, 2011, 3:34:19 PM11/4/11
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Okay, that's seriously weird. The only thing that comes to mind is
that running facter on the command line is using one version of
facter, and puppet's using another. Could you post the output of
facter and puppet with the architecture, operatingsystem, and
facterversion facts?

> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/puppet-users/-/dXELg-ThY_AJ.

Daniel Pittman

Nov 4, 2011, 3:36:59 PM11/4/11
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
You can see results like this if you have the same fact in multiple
places; one thing to check would be what `facter --puppet` returns,
since that includes any facts that were sent to the client through
pluginsync.

Daniel

--
⎋ Puppet Labs Developer – http://puppetlabs.com
♲ Made with 100 percent post-consumer electrons

Alexander Azarov

Nov 4, 2011, 4:53:20 PM11/4/11
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I had an idea I have different versions and simply searched the system for different RubyGems installations.. for no result. I have the only one.

Here it is the output you requested:

r3:/var/log# facter --puppet | grep '\(archit\|facterv\|operatings\)'
architecture => amd64
facterversion => 1.6.2

operatingsystem => Debian
operatingsystemrelease => 6.0.3

r3:/var/log# facter | grep '\(archit\|facterv\|operatings\)'
architecture => amd64
facterversion => 1.6.2

operatingsystem => Debian
operatingsystemrelease => 6.0.3

r3:/var/log# puppet agent --test
notice: operatingsystem: Debian facterversion: 1.6.2 architecture: x86_64
notice: /Stage[main]/Nginx/Notify[operatingsystem: Debian facterversion: 1.6.2 architecture: x86_64]/message: defined 'message' as 'operatingsystem: Debian facterversion: 1.6.2 architecture: x86_64'

>> > --
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
>> >

> --
> "Puppet Users" group.

Adrien Thebo

Nov 11, 2011, 2:07:42 PM11/11/11
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the slow response on this, it's been a chaotic few days. I'm
still very baffled by this. Could you do something like `find / -name
'architecture.rb'` to see if there's any way there could be another
fact definition for this? Although at this point I'm starting to
suspect bogons.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/puppet-users/-/9Mwav4wzIQsJ.

> puppet-users...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at

Adrien Thebo | Puppet Labs
pgp: 0x6F1C4519 pgp.mit.edu

Alexander Azarov

Nov 12, 2011, 2:01:38 AM11/12/11
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
No problems, I've isolated the part of manifest that depends on "architecture", so everything works through a hack right now.

# find / -name architecture.rb
/usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/facter/architecture.rb
/var/lib/vservers/worker/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/facter/architecture.rb
/var/lib/vservers/mongo/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/facter/architecture.rb

>> > --
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
>> >

> --
> For more options, visit this group at

Adrien Thebo

Nov 12, 2011, 7:08:37 PM11/12/11
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Could you get the versions of facter in
/usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/facter.rb and
/usr/lib/vservers/*/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/facter.rb and see if they differ?

> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/puppet-users/-/n8DbrLLp2z4J.

R.I.Pienaar

Nov 12, 2011, 7:12:51 PM11/12/11
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

Nov 13, 2011, 9:31:40 AM11/13/11
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, November 13, 2011 4:08:37 AM UTC+4, Adrien Thebo wrote:
Could you get the versions of facter in
/usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/facter.rb and

1.6.2

/usr/lib/vservers/*/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/facter.rb and see if they differ?

Old (1.5.x), but these are old vservers, not in use. I can safely remove them, but I doubt it will help.

>> > --
>> > Groups
>> > "Puppet Users" group.

>> > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/puppet-users/-/9Mwav4wzIQsJ.

>> > puppet-...@googlegroups.com.
>> > For more options, visit this group at
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
>> >

>> --
>>

>> Adrien Thebo | Puppet Labs
>> pgp: 0x6F1C4519 pgp.mit.edu

Alexander Azarov

Nov 13, 2011, 9:33:01 AM11/13/11
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I'm using WEBrick, but my setup is very far from heavy load. I have only 4 servers under Puppet control.