Installing up to date puppet on Ubuntu

felix

May 22, 2012, 7:08:05 AM5/22/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Ubuntu Lucid has a very outdated puppet, 0.25.4

according to:

I did this to "enable the repository":

sudo dpkg -i puppetlabs-release_1.0-3_all.deb

but this still does not result in installing an up to date puppet

apt-get remove puppet
apt-get install puppet

Setting up puppet (0.25.4-2ubuntu6.7) .

I tried installing via gems:

sudo gem install puppet

which does give:

Successfully installed puppet-2.7.14

but /usr/bin/puppet -V still gives 0.25.4

If I apt-get remove puppet then there is no longer a /usr/bin/puppet at all and there is no puppet on my path.

I find something on a pastebin somewhere:

/bin/ln -s /var/lib/gems/1.8/bin/puppet /usr/bin/puppet

but surely this can't be the recommended way to install.

or am I supposed to have /var/lib/gems/1.8/bin/ on my path ?

gems was installed with:

apt-get install rubygems

Obviously I'm not a ruby person, and I've just read the rubygems docs regarding versions and why its not on the path. ("onerous")

But how is puppet supposed to use it, what is recommended practice ?
I don't want it on MY path since it won't be my user running the puppet agent.
Its already tedious installing puppet on each server in this fashion.

thanks for any advice !

Martin Alfke

May 22, 2012, 7:48:43 AM5/22/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On 22.05.2012, at 13:08, felix wrote:

Hi,

Ubuntu Lucid has a very outdated puppet, 0.25.4

according to:

I did this to "enable the repository":

sudo dpkg -i puppetlabs-release_1.0-3_all.deb

but this still does not result in installing an up to date puppet

apt-get remove puppet
apt-get install puppet

Did you run
   apt-get update
after enabling the puppetlabs repository?

What versions are shown when running
  apt-cache policy puppet
?

Regards,

Martin

[...]

felix

May 22, 2012, 8:07:21 AM5/22/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

ah ! thanks

before:

puppet:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 0.25.4-2ubuntu6.7
  Version table:
     0.25.4-2ubuntu6.7 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/main Packages
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     0.25.4-2ubuntu6 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages

after apt-get update

puppet:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2.7.14-1puppetlabs1
  Version table:
     2.7.14-1puppetlabs1 0
        500 http://apt.puppetlabs.com/ lucid/main Packages
     2.7.13-1puppetlabs1 0
        500 http://apt.puppetlabs.com/ lucid/main Packages
     2.7.12-1puppetlabs1 0
        500 http://apt.puppetlabs.com/ lucid/main Packages
     2.7.11-1puppetlabs1 0
        500 http://apt.puppetlabs.com/ lucid/main Packages
     2.7.9-1puppetlabs3 0
        500 http://apt.puppetlabs.com/ lucid/main Packages
     2.7.9-1puppetlabs2 0
        500 http://apt.puppetlabs.com/ lucid/main Packages
     2.7.8-1puppetlabs1 0
        500 http://apt.puppetlabs.com/ lucid/main Packages
     2.7.7-1puppetlabs1 0
        500 http://apt.puppetlabs.com/ lucid/main Packages
     2.7.6-1puppetlabs1 0
        500 http://apt.puppetlabs.com/ lucid/main Packages
     2.6.14-1puppetlabs1 0
        500 http://apt.puppetlabs.com/ lucid/main Packages
     0.25.4-2ubuntu6.7 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/main Packages
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     0.25.4-2ubuntu6 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages

though I think I might stick with the rubygems install as I have gotten that to work now.

its the lucid version of rubygems that doesn't fully work, so I installed that from source:

cd /usr/local/src
sudo tar -xzf rubygems-1.5.2.tgz
cd rubygems-1.5.2
sudo ruby setup.rb
sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gem gem /usr/bin/gem1.8 1
sudo gem update --system

and now re-installing the gem seems to have installed puppet puppetd puppetmaster etc in /usr/bin/

but maybe sticking with the package manager is better ?
it seems like ruby community doesn't work so well with the standard package managers,
and gems are more up to date.

some of my machines are approaching end of life for lucid.

but then one of the goals of using puppet is to make it easy to jump to a new machine.

Michael Stahnke

May 22, 2012, 7:39:06 PM5/22/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
In my opinion, the native package experience is *much* better than
rubygems. Rubygems doesn't allow for many of the things that puppet
needs all that easily (user creation, files in /etc, init scripts,
etc). Plus the native packages are designed to work more with the
ruby found on the OS rather than whatever the ruby was that gem
authors designed.

Puppet as a gem, is tested against many rubies and paths, but just
can't quite be as good of an experience as a native package. Now that
Puppet Labs maintains native packages with every release, I hope there
isn't much of a need to user rubygems on Debian or RPM based systems.
We also have packages for Windows and Mac.