Rant - IE7 Sucks

kstubs

Oct 25, 2011, 11:23:05 AM10/25/11
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
I have spent days now (more than days really) trying to get my code to work in IE7.  I'm about to say, * screw it, IE7 not supported *.  I can't begin to explain how/when/why the problem, and am not seeking help, I'm just ranting.

I feel better now..

kstubs

Oct 25, 2011, 1:10:29 PM10/25/11
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
I may have to repost, but I'll state what I think the issue may be here first.

OK, so IE7.  I have a class and I mixin an object called SimpleForms.  These methods are not available in the intialize method for the class. So,

var myClass = Class.create(SimpleForms, {
initialize: function() {
  this.SimpleForms_Method('xyz');'
}
});

Code errors on the call to: this.SimpleForms_Method in IE7 only.  Is this an IE7 issue?  Is this a Prototype bug, or know IE7 limitation?

Karl..

T.J. Crowder

Oct 25, 2011, 1:54:45 PM10/25/11
to Prototype & script.aculo.us
Can you post a self-contained example to http://jsbin.com?

-- T.J.

Marty Amberg

Oct 25, 2011, 3:44:23 PM10/25/11
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps you did this already but I  have found it useful if you can, and you need to run w7, to use the debugger on ie9,set it to ie7 mode and see what happens.  I have had lots of things not run smoothly on w7 and work fine otherwise.

good luck

kstubs

Oct 25, 2011, 8:21:46 PM10/25/11
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
IE9 has a built-in option for running IE7 script or is this a developer add-on?

Phil Petree

Oct 26, 2011, 6:35:29 AM10/26/11
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com

I'm not sure I understand, tell us again how you REALLY feel about IE7! LOL

On Oct 25, 2011 11:23 AM, "kstubs" <kst...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have spent days now (more than days really) trying to get my code to work in IE7.  I'm about to say, * screw it, IE7 not supported *.  I can't begin to explain how/when/why the problem, and am not seeking help, I'm just ranting.

I feel better now..

Marty Amberg

Oct 26, 2011, 11:18:41 AM10/26/11
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
maybe I been doing this too long, i think standard ie9. But up on the
top right is a gear which opens developer tools or f12 and once in you
can change the the mode of the browser mode or document mode on the top
bar. Most of my issues have always been the cache on ie7 and ie8 too.
I think explorer now has a decent set of tools.

On 10/25/2011 8:21 PM, kstubs wrote:
> IE9 has a built-in option for running IE7 script or is this a

> developer add-on? --

> Groups "Prototype & script.aculo.us" group.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/prototype-scriptaculous/-/JrRA-XLfi2oJ.

Victor

Oct 27, 2011, 10:46:03 AM10/27/11
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
I think there is some problem in your code, because code similar to your description exists e.g. in Scriptaculous:

Effect.Base = Class.create({
  position: null,
  start: function(options) {
  },
});

Effect.Parallel = Class.create(Effect.Base, {
  initialize: function(effects) {
    this.effects = effects || [];
    this.start(arguments[1]);
  },
});

and we definitely know it works in IE7.

T.J. Crowder

Oct 27, 2011, 12:14:50 PM10/27/11
On Oct 27, 3:46 pm, Victor <vkhomyac...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think there is some problem in your code...

I suspect so as well, which is why a couple of days ago I asked him to