Future of Prototyp.js

buda

Oct 23, 2011, 1:01:29 AM10/23/11
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
The rapid development of browser features they caught up and there are fewer and fewer differences between them. A year later, they practically do not remain. IE6 is already innonexistence. So I think that the new version should be completely rewritten, freed from the burden of supporting non-existent differences and older browsers and their versions, to be compact andincorporate only what is necessary for developers.

Look at script.aculo.us - its now Scripty2 full rewritten library, compact and modern!

If the library becomes of such - it can easily be used on mobile devices will become more widelypopular. And I'll love her even more:)

T.J. Crowder

Oct 23, 2011, 6:12:54 AM10/23/11
to Prototype & script.aculo.us
On Oct 23, 6:01 am, buda <www...@pochta.ru> wrote:
> IE6 is already innonexistence.

Whether IE6 remains relevant depends a great deal on where you look
and whom you're targeting. If you look at the figures on http://ie6countdown.com,
you see that if you're targeting east asia, you'd be an idiot not to
support IE6. Similarly, that 2.2% in the UK is a misleading figure,
because although small in itself, it consists of very large government
departments -- so if your site/application is targeted at those
departments, you're still stuck with IE6 support. You get the
idea. :-)

> The rapid development of browser features they caught up and there are fewer
> and fewer differences between them. A year later, they practically do not
> remain.

Where are you getting that information? There still remain significant
and problematic differences between browsers from different vendors.
Heck, IE8 (nearly 30% of the desktop market[1]) and below don't even
support `addEventListener`, making Prototype's handling of that
difference very important indeed. Yes, in a year I'd expect IE9 to be
much higher on that list than it is currently because even Microsoft
users are getting the idea of updating more often, but I suspect IE8
will still be above it.

Separately, I think the premise that most of Prototype is about
working around outdated browser differences is (respectfully)
incorrect. Most of Prototype is around adding useful utility
functionality. Some of it is about smoothing out differences (such as
how opacity is specified in various browsers), but mostly it's about
simplifying and expanding on what's common across browsers (for
instance, the DOM navigation stuff).

My two cents. :-)

[1] http://marketshare.hitslink.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=2&qpcustomd=0
--
T.J. Crowder
Independent Software Engineer

wwwboy

Oct 23, 2011, 12:35:40 PM10/23/11
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi T.J.

With the speed of which modern browsers release updates and move toward HTML5 - I think there will be no significant differences between them in a year.
IE8 will not be alive in a year in the light of Windows8 with IE10 and canceling support XP - so there will be IE9 and IE10 which a close to other browsers.
An optional ability to build library without of support of old browsers will be the big advance for most developers - small size, fast execution!
At least there might be two versions of the library - for supporting old browsers - 1.7 and for modern - 2.0 :)

My two cents. :-)

T.J. Crowder

Oct 23, 2011, 12:43:39 PM10/23/11
to Prototype & script.aculo.us
Hi,

On Oct 23, 5:35 pm, "wwwboy" <www...@pochta.ru> wrote:
> With the speed of which modern browsers release updates and move toward HTML5 -
> I think there will be no significant differences between them in a year.
> IE8 will not be alive in a year in the light of Windows8 with IE10 and canceling
> support XP - so there will be IE9 and IE10 which a close to other browsers.

I think you're being very optimistic there, particularly with regard
to how quickly Windows users will upgrade.

> An optional ability to build library without of support of old browsers will be
> the big advance for most developers - small size, fast execution!

Again, what makes you think that legacy support is a significant
fraction of the library? I suggest reading through the source, the
vast majority of it is utility functionality, not cross-browser
workarounds.

T.J. Crowder

Oct 21, 2012, 3:06:01 AM10/21/12
On Sunday, 23 October 2011 17:43:39 UTC+1, T.J. Crowder wrote:
Hi,

On Oct 23, 5:35 pm, "wwwboy" <www...@pochta.ru> wrote:
> With the speed of which modern browsers release updates and move toward HTML5 -
> I think there will be no significant differences between them in a year.
> IE8 will not be alive in a year in the light of Windows8 with IE10 and canceling
> support XP - so there will be IE9 and IE10 which a close to other browsers.

I think you're being very optimistic there, particularly with regard
to how quickly Windows users will upgrade.

And here we are, a year later, and guess what? IE8 still has more market share (24%) than IE9 (20%). :-)

-- T.J.

kstubs

Nov 26, 2012, 12:00:59 PM11/26/12
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
Great followup T.J., much appreciated.

petrob

Dec 1, 2012, 4:48:25 AM12/1/12
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
I understood why a lot of companies still insist on using IE6 when at a large hypermarket chain the accounting staff pointed out that their very expensive accounting software can only be run on IE6 or on IE9+. The cost efficient solution for them is to go on running their legal copies of XP on some hundreds of computers with IE6 and ban any acive-x objects and script (java, javascript, flash etc) on the company server. So, it is the operating system that is behind the longevity of IE in the corporate field and , unfortunately, it will remain the same for a long time.

James Brake

Dec 1, 2012, 8:54:42 AM12/1/12
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
We let our IE 6 clients go.
> --
> Groups "Prototype & script.aculo.us" group.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/prototype-scriptaculous/-/--r_rxEpnswJ.

kstubs

Dec 1, 2012, 10:21:35 AM12/1/12
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
..and related to all of this is a site like this:

Where a ton of the script that use to be available, well the underlying/host site for the code have dropped off the WWW universe.
Very sad :(  A lot of broken links.

Karl..

On Saturday, December 1, 2012 6:54:42 AM UTC-7, isurge wrote:
We let our IE 6 clients go.

On 12/1/12 1:48 AM, petrob wrote:
> I understood why a lot of companies still insist on using IE6 when at
> a large hypermarket chain the accounting staff pointed out that their
> very expensive accounting software can only be run on IE6 or on IE9+.
> The cost efficient solution for them is to go on running their legal
> copies of XP on some hundreds of computers with IE6 and ban any
> acive-x objects and script (java, javascript, flash etc) on the
> company server. So, it is the operating system that is behind the
> longevity of IE in the corporate field and , unfortunately, it will
> remain the same for a long time.

Jason Westbrook

Dec 2, 2012, 12:32:32 PM12/2/12
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com

I'm actually planning on taking whatever is still available on scripteka and rehosting it on github so that others can find it, see examples of it working, post issues and comment on the scripts

Jason Westbrook | T: 313-799-3770 | jwest...@gmail.com

Walter Lee Davis

Dec 2, 2012, 2:57:38 PM12/2/12
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
That's an excellent idea. You should see if Kangax wants to pitch in, since he created Scripteka, and he's still involved a bit in Prototype.

Walter
> > prototype-scripta...@googlegroups.com.
> > For more options, visit this group at
> > http://groups.google.com/group/prototype-scriptaculous?hl=en.
>

> --

Victor

Dec 30, 2012, 5:37:48 PM12/30/12
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com

I'm actually planning on taking whatever is still available on scripteka and rehosting it on github so that others can find it, see examples of it working, post issues and comment on the scripts

Good idea! Do you have something to show already? Examples and issue tracking sounds good.

Phil Petree

Dec 30, 2012, 7:22:07 PM12/30/12
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
Amen... that would definately be a good move!  There are a number of things on scripteka that are dead and gone (broken links)

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Victor <vkhom...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm actually planning on taking whatever is still available on scripteka and rehosting it on github so that others can find it, see examples of it working, post issues and comment on the scripts

Good idea! Do you have something to show already? Examples and issue tracking sounds good.

Jason Westbrook

Dec 31, 2012, 10:48:39 AM12/31/12
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com

I was able to dig this one out of archive.org and I rewrote it a bit - added a jsfiddle so that people can play with it etc

Just look at all of my github repos - they are all PrototypeJS libraries

Jason Westbrook | T: 313-799-3770 | jwest...@gmail.com