Move sortables with javascript?

shanert

May 22, 2012, 6:05:29 AM5/22/12
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
Is there a way to move a sortables with javascript?

Example: A user sorts a few divs and the order is stored in a cookie with Sortable.serialize. How to use the data in the cookie to rearrange the divs to the order of the user, when he is visiting the site the next time?

Walter Lee Davis

May 22, 2012, 8:28:31 AM5/22/12
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
It doesn't seem to be documented, but there is a setSequence(element, new_sequence) method in Sortable. http://madrobby.github.com/scriptaculous/sortable/

Have a dig through the source and see what it expects. https://github.com/madrobby/scriptaculous/blob/master/src/dragdrop.js#L906

Walter

On May 22, 2012, at 6:05 AM, shanert wrote:

> Is there a way to move a sortables with javascript?
>
> Example: A user sorts a few divs and the order is stored in a cookie with Sortable.serialize. How to use the data in the cookie to rearrange the divs to the order of the user, when he is visiting the site the next time?

Wojtek Zadora

May 22, 2012, 8:30:36 AM5/22/12
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
I do not know if my advice will be valuable for you but I would avoid
sorting divs with javascript.
I think better way is to read the cookie in php and render a page with
divs in order according to cookie data. Difficulty of that task is
probably determinded by the way you render you html pages. With some
template engine (like smarty) should be rather easy...

-wz

shanert

May 22, 2012, 12:12:39 PM5/22/12
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
setSequence, that did the trick, great, many thanks!

Am Dienstag, 22. Mai 2012 14:28:31 UTC+2 schrieb Walter Lee Davis:
It doesn't seem to be documented, but there is a setSequence(element, new_sequence) method in Sortable. http://madrobby.github.com/scriptaculous/sortable/

Have a dig through the source and see what it expects. https://github.com/madrobby/scriptaculous/blob/master/src/dragdrop.js#L906

Walter

On May 22, 2012, at 6:05 AM, shanert wrote:

> Is there a way to move a sortables with javascript?
>
> Example: A user sorts a few divs and the order is stored in a cookie with Sortable.serialize. How to use the data in the cookie to rearrange the divs to the order of the user, when he is visiting the site the next time?

Walter Lee Davis

May 22, 2012, 12:23:06 PM5/22/12
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
Please take a moment to update the Wiki with a brief explanation of the method!

Walter