Raising awareness of Sunrise trek and June 13 event

Green Novato

Jun 3, 2021, 12:06:29 AM6/3/21
to osc_eart...@googlegroups.com
Hey OSC!

The buzz for this epic march is growing! If you can’t make the action in Santa Rosa, please consider the following:

What: 50 Sunrise activists arrive Marin Civic Center after 250-mile trek
When: Sunday, June 13, 12pm
Where: Marin Civic Center (park corner Armory & Civic Center Drive)

50 Sunrise activists are walking from Paradise to San Francisco. Despite 100-degree heat, they are marching to build support for a new Civilian Climate Corps and to draw attention to local effects of climate chaos.

“I’m tired of inaction while watching my city burn,” said one Sunrise activist, Madeline Ruddell, 16, of Sonoma. “Living in California is terrifying. In the past 4 years alone I’ve had to pack more than ten evacuation bags.”

Madeline and the team will be joined by legions of supporters — activists, political leaders, and environmental groups — along the way. By June 13, they will already have met hundreds across Northern California Hubs including Paradise, Sacramento, and Santa Rosa.

In the shadow of the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Marin Civic Center in San Rafael, the Sunrise team will eat a vegan lunch from Ultimate Souvlaki, answer questions from press, and meet local environmental leaders like Chance Cutrano — board member at Sierra Club Marin, Director of Programs at Resource Renewal Institute, and Fairfax town council member, all at age 27. “The next generation of environmental leaders understand what is at stake for our planet and our communities if we don’t ramp up investments in climate solutions and the workforce necessary to implement them,” said Cutrano. “I’m honored to welcome these leaders and to join their call for a new Civilian Climate Corps.”

Further info:
Kevin Morrison, 310-801-8697, ke...@kevinjmorrison.com

For updates from marchers on social media: Twitter - @smvmtgenonfire, Instagram - @sunrisegenonfire, Follow - #generationonfire TikTok - @jenna.hnz, @trek_tok17, @captsoapbox, @hope_endrenyi, @tejanorojo, @jeremy_o123, @babyjoshbenitez, @kidusgirma460, @kashishishish