First release of Abbott-Smith's Manual Greek Lexicon

Daniel Owens

Jul 27, 2012, 10:01:37 AM7/27/12
to SWORD Developers' Collaboration Forum, openscriptures
I am pleased to announce the first release of a marked-up version of Abbott-Smith's Manual Greek Lexicon, v. 0.1.

This release includes pages iii-3 and words occurring 1,000 times or more in the Greek NT. Obviously there is much still to do (contributors are welcome!).

You may view the release online (http://www.textonline.org/files/abbott-smith/abbott-smith.current_release.xml). Those interested in contributing should visit the project page on Github (http://translatable-exegetical-tools.github.com/Abbott-Smith/).

Daniel

Dardo

Aug 7, 2012, 12:25:28 AM8/7/12
to openscr...@googlegroups.com, SWORD Developers' Collaboration Forum
Hi Daniel, great work! I think you are doing an excelnt job. I was looking for a good Greek lexicon in the public domain. Also, translation of this kind of resources is very interesting to me (I'm a Spanish speaker). I'd like to contribute, I've just forked the repo in git hub, fixed small typos and added a couple of entries.

regards,
Dardo.

Daniel Owens

Aug 7, 2012, 9:40:02 AM8/7/12
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to this project!

Thank you, Dardo, for your corrections and additions. I merged your changes into master. You can tell I have been lazy about using the correct character for the AE combination (I forget the correct term for it). Thank you for cleaning up after my laziness!

Would you prefer to work on your fork and use pull requests or to push directly to master? I am happy with either. I added you as a team member in case you want to push directly to master.

Also, I comitted another Perl script (osisref.pl) that adds <ref> elements to whatever is in in.xml in the same directory and outputs to out.xml. I keep those two files locally because they are temp files. It saves a lot of time marking up refs. I do everything else manually since the Greek has to be typed manually.

I also saw you are working on a Spanish interlinear. I had a conversation with the Logos folks, and apparently they have a program to create reverse interlinears. I am not sure you would want to work directly with them since the result might not be open, but it is a thought. I have thought about doing something like that for Vietnamese, but I have not done anything about it. I know that Logos is working with a team in Japan to do that for Japanese.

Oh, one last thing. Since you are interested in translating, I wanted to let you know I am delighted by that prospect. If you can help me think through in concept how to do that for different languages, I would welcome the input. Obviously some things do not need to be translated by a human (once every reference is marked up, it would be easy to write a script to transform every biblical book introduction to some standard Spanish abbreviation or some other language), but glosses would need to be translated. Anyway, let me know what you think as you have time to think about it.

Daniel

Daniel Owens

Aug 7, 2012, 9:41:15 AM8/7/12
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I did not mean to send that to the whole list.

Daniel

Dardo

Seth Washeck

Aug 7, 2012, 6:36:21 PM8/7/12
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,
Please forgive my ignorance, but how do I actually use this?

Thanks,
Seth

Daniel Owens

Aug 7, 2012, 8:39:05 PM8/7/12
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
I suppose that is a fair question.

In general you would use Abbott-Smith like any other Greek lexicon, to look up Greek words for definitions, grammatical information, examples, etc.

From a technical perspective, the data could be used in a variety of ways. CrossWire has created a lexicon module from it, but many applications are conceivable. I have thought about using it to create vocabulary lists.

Obviously with only 85 entries so far it has a long way to go to being a complete Greek lexicon, but the entries included right now are far superior to Strongs, which is very limited in what it offers for each entry. I would think that once this is complete there would be little reason to use Strongs anymore, except for those who only want a cursory dictionary entry for a given word.

Daniel
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/openscriptures/-/1o0KrXiVjPkJ.

Seth Washeck

Aug 8, 2012, 11:43:28 AM8/8/12
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Again, apologies for the ambiguity. I'm pretty strong in the use of the Greek lexical tools, I was more wondering if I use only the XML file or if I build it using the .sh script. I guess what I'm asking is how do I get a good source that I can use to integrate this into an existing database of the LXX/SBLGNT that I currently have.

Daniel Owens

Aug 8, 2012, 3:18:45 PM8/8/12
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
I removed the shell script to avoid confusion. It was more for my personal use and is not included in a release.

For your purposes, I recommend you use the XML file included in the latest release. Look in ./releases/ for the latest release (or go to downloads). I will add some comments in the readme file to clarify this. Thank you for pointing this out.

Daniel
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/openscriptures/-/69ubJF3xdRUJ.

Seth Washeck

Aug 8, 2012, 9:24:15 PM8/8/12
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Great, thanks!

One last question: do you happen to know the original font? I'd like to convert to Unicode if possible.

Thanks, and sorry for all of the questions.

Seth

Daniel Owens

Aug 9, 2012, 9:05:07 AM8/9/12
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Seth,

No problem about the questions. I am glad for the interest.

You are welcome to help us convert to Unicode! That is part of the project.

The OCR'd text includes only Latin characters and is not in some sort of legacy Greek encoding. If it looks like gobbledygook then it probably is. However, at this point everything inside <entry> should be unicode. If it is not, let me know.

Daniel
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/openscriptures/-/i1Lc6p5qp20J.