What are you doing this weekend?

1 view

Cassandra Lista

May 21, 2015, 1:05:53 PM5/21/15
to occupy-sonoma-co...@googlegroups.com

Organic Consumers Association
View This Email On the Web | Share On Facebook

What are you doing this weekend?

[] Dear Organic Consumer,

Tipping point. Crossroads. Moment of truth. Crunch time.

However you choose to describe the point we’ve reached in the battle against Monsanto and its toxic chemicals and takeover of our food, remember this: We are up against a powerful company that will stop at nothing to protect its global empire and ill-gotten profits. And sadly, far too many of our Monsanto-supported politicians and government agencies are all too willing to aid and abet.

Still, thanks to you, we have severely damaged the foundation of Monsanto’s evil empire. Now, more than ever, we need to stay focused, to not grow complacent, if we want to bring down that empire for good.

This Saturday, May 23, we need you, and everyone who shares your vision for a Monsanto-free world, to get out and march.  And next week, on May 25, 26, or 27, we need you, especially those of you who live in key districts, to organize protests against HR 1599, a federal bill that could end our fight for GMO labeling, forever.

This movement, your movement, has come a long way in a few short years.

Where once only a small number of activists knew what a GMO was, we now have an educated public and millions of activists, worldwide. The number of organizations committed to replacing Monsanto’s toxic chemical-drenched soy and corn monocultures has mushroomed, from a handful to a powerful army.

Where once Monsanto got away with spraying its cancer-causing Roundup with impunity, countries are now rising up. Many­including Columbia, the Netherlands, Brazil, Germany, Sri Lanka and others­have either banned, or proposed a ban, on Roundup. The number of countries, and U.S. cities and counties moving in that direction is growing, thanks to the recent declaration by World Health Organization scientists that glyphosate probably causes cancer.

Where once, food manufacturers, retailers and restaurants marched in lockstep with the biotech industry, many now realize that their allegiance to Monsanto is bad for business. Whole Foods will require all GMO foods to be labeled, by 2018. Chipotle is going GMO-free. Even mass retailer Target is rethinking its healthy, non-GMO food strategy. Companies like Kellogg’s and General Mills have seen profits tank after contributing millions of dollars to defeat GMO labeling initiatives in several West Coast states.

Where once the notion of mandatory GMO labeling laws was unheard of, today three states have passed such laws, and more than a dozen are working on similar bills. And while Monsanto has sued Vermont to overturn its law, a recent district court decision affirmed Vermont’s constitutional right to pass the law, and refused industry’s plea to prevent the law from being enacted July 1, 2016. The court decision has emboldened states­and sent Monsanto’s team into overdrive in its efforts to obliterate states’ rights.

Meanwhile, countries around the world are saying ‘no’ to massive, secretive trade deals that would classify their GMO labeling laws as “unjustified barriers to trade,” and undo carefully considered and structured laws in more than 60 countries.

A growing global anti-GMO consumer movement, defectors in the food industry, the court siding with states on GMO labeling laws, countries moving to ban glyphosate­Monsanto is under attack. So clear is the writing on the wall, that the Biotech Bully is aiming to buy Syngenta, in order to expand its monopoly, acquire toxic alternatives to glyphosate, and dodge U.S. taxes by moving its headquarters to Germany.

We wouldn’t be here, without you. But our job is far from over.

If we want to move more food manufacturers toward non-GMO, if we want to convince more politicians that support for Monsanto means no support from voters, we need to turn up the volume.

Please get out and march this weekend. And then, on May 25, 26, or 27, organize or join in a protest against the DARK Act. Your participation is needed now, more than ever.

Find or organize a March against Monsanto

Organize a rally against the DARK Act

Thank you!
[]

[]

Ronnie Cummins
National Director, Organic Consumers Association and Organic Consumers Fund

P.S. Your donation to our lobbying arm will fund state efforts to pass mandatory GMO labeling laws, and our work in Washington D.C. to preserve states’ rights by defeating the DARK Act. Please make a generous donation today. Thank you!

Connect With OCA:
Like OCA on Facebook

Follow OCA on Twitter

Follow OCA on Pinterest

The Organic Consumers Association (OCA) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization campaigning for health, justice, peace, sustainability and democracy. Donations to the OCA are tax-deductible to the fullest extent of the law.
All content © 2013 Organic Consumers Association, All Rights Reserved
67 71 South Silver Hill Drive
Finland, MN 55603
Phone: 21 8-226-4164
Fax: 21 8-353-7652
Privacy Policy
Paid for by Organic Consumers Association
empowered by Salsa