Another media block solution?

Murray

Mar 12, 2012, 11:24:13 PM3/12/12
to object-or...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nicole... and everyone.

I noticed at the end of your blog post about the media block, Paul Irish linked to an interesting example of the media block done without overflow: hidden;

Have you considered adding this to your version? Or are there complications with the way it's done?

Murray.

Nicole Sullivan

Mar 13, 2012, 3:05:49 AM3/13/12
to object-or...@googlegroups.com
Yup, facebook uses that one too. I'm committed to having grids, template, and media block use the same method so that there are consistent bugs. Beyond that there are several good methods:

1. overflow hidden without use of position relative (doesn't crop)
2. table-cell with content set to x x x x x x x etc
3. table cell with a large width set

All of them work. I like overflow hidden the best, but I'm not sure we can give up position relative.

Murray.

Sam Hunter

Mar 13, 2012, 7:17:58 AM3/13/12
to object-or...@googlegroups.com
Why not add another class to override cropping, the OOCSS way. No?

Regards,
Samuel Hunter

Murray Nuttall

Mar 13, 2012, 7:06:59 PM3/13/12
to object-or...@googlegroups.com
I have just put together a basic jsfiddle showing .media and .mod using this alternate solution:

It seems to work well, even in IE6