erlexec: No such file or directory

David

Apr 20, 2011, 8:29:32 AM4/20/11
to Nitrogen Project / The Nitrogen Web Framework for Erlang
Hello guys,

I'm trying to run "make rel_inets" using Cygwin in Windows 7 x86 with
nitrogen-2.0.4 and I'm getting this message:

==> rel (generate)
make[2]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/Servers/nitrogen-2.0.4/rel/
nitrogen'
../erts-5.8.3/bin/erl: line 34: /cygdrive/c/Servers/nitrogen-2.0.4/rel/
nitrogen/erts-5.8.3/bin/erlexec: No such file or directory
../erts-5.8.3/bin/erl: line 34: exec: /cygdrive/c/Servers/
nitrogen-2.0.4/rel/nitrogen/erts-5.8.3/bin/erlexec: cannot execute: No
such file or directory

make[2]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/Servers/nitrogen-2.0.4/rel/
nitrogen'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/Servers/nitrogen-2.0.4'
Generated a self-contained Nitrogen project
in rel/nitrogen, configured to run on Inets.

If I simply ignore it, and run "bin/nitrogen console", I get this:

/cygdrive/c/Servers/nitrogen-2.0.4/rel/nitrogen
$ bin/nitrogen console
escript: Failed to open file: /cygdrive/c/Servers/nitrogen-2.0.4/rel/
nitrogen/erts-5.8.3/bin/nodetool
Exec: /cygdrive/c/Servers/nitrogen-2.0.4/rel/nitrogen/erts-5.8.3/bin/
erlexec -boot /cygdrive/c/Servers/nitrogen-2.0.4/rel/nitrogen/releases/
2.0.4/nitrogen -embedded -config /cygdrive/c/Servers/nitrogen-2.0.4/
rel/nitrogen/etc/app.config -config /cygdrive/c/Servers/nitrogen-2.0.4/
rel/nitrogen/etc/inets.config -args_file /cygdrive/c/Servers/
nitrogen-2.0.4/rel/nitrogen/etc/vm.args -- console
Root: /cygdrive/c/Servers/nitrogen-2.0.4/rel/nitrogen
bin/nitrogen: line 125: logger: command not found
bin/nitrogen: line 128: /cygdrive/c/Servers/nitrogen-2.0.4/rel/
nitrogen/erts-5.8.3/bin/erlexec: No such file or directory
bin/nitrogen: line 128: exec: /cygdrive/c/Servers/nitrogen-2.0.4/rel/
nitrogen/erts-5.8.3/bin/erlexec: cannot execute: No such file or
directory

Any clues on how to solve this? Wrong Erlang version installed?
Missing libraries?

Thanks, best regards!

kisitu hudson

Apr 20, 2011, 11:41:02 AM4/20/11
to nitro...@googlegroups.com
The problem is not with the version of erlang but i think the problem
is with the make library of
Cygwin try updating it ,i think that will work...

Thanks hudson

David

Apr 25, 2011, 9:05:14 AM4/25/11
to Nitrogen Project / The Nitrogen Web Framework for Erlang
Hello Hudson,

tried updating it (using experimental packages also), but I already
got the latest version of make available to Cygwin, that is:

make --v
GNU Make 3.81
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for i686-pc-cygwin

Anyway, I also tried reinstalling it, but still getting "erlexec: No
such file or directory" message. Any other suggestion?

Thanks,

David

On Apr 20, 12:41 pm, kisitu hudson <hudz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem is not with the version of erlang but i think the problem
> is with the make library of
> Cygwin try updating it ,i think that will work...
>
> Thanks hudson

David

Apr 25, 2011, 10:27:15 AM4/25/11
to Nitrogen Project / The Nitrogen Web Framework for Erlang
Just an update. I got the same "erlexec: No such file or directory"
error message trying to install mochiweb ( ./get_yaws.sh; make
rel_mochiweb; ) and yaws ( ./get_mochiweb.sh; make rel_yaws;).

Userxp

Oct 17, 2011, 1:08:27 PM10/17/11
to nitro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Any updates on this erlexec problem? I got the exact same error in cygwin.  I think changing complie options in the makefile may make a difference but I am totally ignorant to that.

John Hughes

Oct 17, 2011, 4:45:49 PM10/17/11
to nitro...@googlegroups.com
As a very new nitrogen user, I had some difficulty getting it to run under Windows--and I suspect I'm not alone. I have, however, got it running now, including on Windows 7--just on top of inets, but hey, it's running! In case my experience can help someone else having trouble just getting started, here's how I did it.

I did not manage to build nitrogen, but took the Windows build from http://nitrogenproject.com/. That unzips to a folder containing start.cmd: double-click to start it and an Erlang shell should appear; open a browser and point it at localhost:8000.

Gotchas:

This nitrogen build requires R13B04 *to be installed* on the machine concerned, even though it apparently contains a stand-alone VM! Moreover, R13B04 MUST be installed in C:/Program Files, even though the erlang installer may well put it in C:/Program Files (x86). I simply moved the erl5.7.5 directory to Program Files instead, which worked. I can't see WHY it needs an Erlang installation in the standard place, but it does.

I followed the tutorial at http://nitrogenproject.com/doc/tutorial.html, which is excellent, but refers to scripts to compile pages and create pages, which don't work under vanilla Windows at least. Workarounds: compile by typing sync:go() in the nitrogen shell--this compiles any modules in nitrogen/site/src. Create new pages by copying page.erl from nitrogen/site/.prototypes, for example to nitrogen/site/src/my_page.erl, and editing the module name. Don't call your new file page.erl as I did at first--that name has a special significance to nitrogen.

You'll find that the copied prototype won't compile, because of an -include("records.hrl"). No records.hrl exists in the site/src directory; this should presumably be site/include/records.hrl, which does exist--you might want to fix your prototype so you only get this problem once. You could also delete the include... records.hrl itself is an empty file, and is presumably just a placeholder where you could put record definitions of your own.

Hope this is useful to someone.

John

UserXP

Oct 18, 2011, 3:50:01 PM10/18/11
to nitro...@googlegroups.com
It all worked!  I am deleting all my cygwin files right now....

I believe John's method is what the authors have intended to do, and by far the most complete Windows installation guide (over the entire internet).   NO need for cygwin whatsoever and that's a totally wrong path and waste of time.

If there is a moderator in this group I would suggest adding John's post as sticky if there is such function.

Dave Cottlehuber

Oct 20, 2011, 5:02:26 AM10/20/11
to nitro...@googlegroups.com
> --
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/nitrogenweb?hl=en.

I don't know much about nitrogen but have spent a fair bit of time
packaging CouchDB for Windows which includes erlang of course.

If it helps there are notes here
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Quirks_on_Windows

removing erl.ini from the distribution, or setting it to use a
relative path, should avoid the path dependency issue above.
CouchDB also is packaged with mochiweb so this might be a workable
alternative for nitrogen also. My build notes for this are at
https://github.com/dch/glazier/blob/master/README.md
cygwin is needed to build couchdb, but not to run or distribute it.

I'm currently moving house but if there's interest I could help with
improving the nitrogen packaging as well.

A+
Dave