OT: Halloween Spectacular in AZ

Jeff Thomas

Nov 5, 2012, 10:08:04 AM11/5/12
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Although not nixie, it includes technology and HV bits the neonixie members may find entertaining.

Nine months ago I took on a Halloween stage show project for our children and their friends.

I began composing the music for their stage performances in January, using MIDI as the instrument track format.
Afterward, I began building an automated robot orchestra of various percussion instruments.

The finalized compositions were put online afterward, assisting the children in practicing the choreography created for their performances.

The first was "Danse Macabre" an adaption of Camille Saint-Saen's classic works. Aside from using synthesized strings, the other instruments were live.
http://youtu.be/_SrYhGLFemA

The second was titled "Zombie Ballerina", and was another adaptation. This time a movie track from Edward Scissorhands, by Danny Elfman.
http://youtu.be/hcg9TlOhSw8

The automated instruments are a Vibraphone, Glockenspiel, 21 tubular chimes, Bass Drum, Floor Tom, Crash Cymbal, Snare Drum, Hi-Hat Cymbal, one small audio modulated Tesla Coil, and two 7ft tall audio modulated Tesla Coils.

The technology items were fully operational by late August. Then came the props and other items needed for the stage performances.
Our youngest, and five of her friends would wear skeleton morphsuits in the Danse Macabre stage show. Our middle daughter and one of her friends would alternate in the Zombie Ballerina show.

My son began work in programming a repurposed Unimate industrial robot to deliver candy to children as they entered the show area. Candy was drawn from a column magazine and delivered to a bowl at front after a button push.

Halloween arrived. I recorded some daytime videos to show the equipment setup and the stage configuration.

Setup: http://youtu.be/GGIb8hHOZvc

Stage show of Danse Macabre: http://youtu.be/XxhuNlsIp18

Stage show of Zombie Ballerina: http://youtu.be/RDAvzkHnrD0

I'd also composed a selection of MIDI formatted music, spanning classical to contemporary, as intermission material performed on the Tesla Coils/Instruments between the children's shows.
There were 20 tracks in all.

One is "Secrets": http://youtu.be/SLAAlHcpYNw

Another is Dueling Banjos: http://youtu.be/hlCQmTd9XnE

Five friends were instrumental with putting everything together on Halloween day. It was a huge undertaking we began at dawn.
The city barricaded the streets, and put out trash cans. People began assembling at dusk.
My wife believes we had ~1800 attending Halloween night. I was running the 3hr show from the garage console. Fortunately I had a good view of the children's shows.
Everything went perfectly. No spectator trouble or injuries.
Just a huge amount of trash remained in the streets and the adjoining park.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the videos.  Regards, Jeff

Nicholas Stock

Nov 5, 2012, 10:45:30 AM11/5/12
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
WOW. Not much more you can say to that Jeff, simply amazing.

Wished you lived in my neighborhood for Halloween!!

Now we know why the watches are taking so long....;-)

Cheers, Nick