Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Darius

no leída,
6 nov 2012, 4:44:296/11/12
a mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
I've checked a MLO roadmap and I must say I don't see a good future for MLO . MLO is doing a big mistake: no web app or API for MLO cloud, there is even no basic support for web planned . Now MLO is just not a true multi OS device.

I've have 3 new machines and on every of them I cannot use MLO. One is Raspberry PI, one is laptop with Ubuntu, one is VMware with Lubuntu for my TV ( I have Windows PC and Galaxy  note which I am using fine with MLO) . I know, this is Linux and Linux is not supported, but the problem is bigger:

Now we have Windows RT released. How to use MLO?
As in my example I have some machines with Linux, how to use MLO?
If windows 8 fails, and some people will turn to Mac/Linux, what to do?
If I bought chrome book, how to use MLO?

In short I don't think the developement for all the OS will be fast enough without any web app...

Michael Emerald, CFA

no leída,
6 nov 2012, 9:26:456/11/12
a mylifeo...@googlegroups.com

The “other side” (me) says that of all the PIM managers I’ve used, this one is foolproof, useful, rock solid, and increases productivity enormously.  I sense that the product will evolve with your own needs below over time.  Then again, as a business consultant I’d ask whether catering to the lesser-used systems is a worthwhile investment of programming resources.

Trish Putnam

no leída,
6 nov 2012, 17:06:286/11/12
a mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Valid point, Michael, and I agree that the development effort doesn't need to support all of the possible systems out there directly.  However, go back to Darius's point that there's no web interface.  It's not ideal, but it would alleviate the pain if there were SOME way to make use of MLO from devices that aren't currently supported, such as a way to access your cloud-living data via a web-based UI.  At this point, if your device isn't supported you don't have an option to work around it.

A web-based UI for MLO cloud would certainly provide at least basic crossplatform support for any internet-connected device, which would be a decent ROI for a single development effort vs. trying to guess which platforms should be supported quickly.

Petr Urbanec

no leída,
6 nov 2012, 18:35:426/11/12
a mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
don't think the future is so bad. You can look at another product. For example, many users love the Omnifocus. Is there any web or android app? Do they plan syncing with Exchange? Can you buy it as a windows port? No! Nevertheless there are many people who spend money for it.

I like MLO and I am loooking forward to new version.

Mark Levison

no leída,
6 nov 2012, 18:39:266/11/12
a mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Just as counterpoint to the original post. I recently became a Mac user and am struggling with the Wine Implementation on the Mac to get MLO to work. Yes I would love a Mac port, I would even like a Web Interface but these may not be the best uses of Andrey's money. As to Windows 8/RT I wouldn't count Microsoft down by a long shot.

Cheers
Mark

Gene Horodecki

no leída,
6 nov 2012, 17:50:376/11/12
a mylifeo...@googlegroups.com

On the other hand, some of us don't like putting our personal information on public servers and find it refreshing that MLO is bucking the trend and allowing us to sync on our own personal systems. When I got my first ipod touch I was very disillusioned that there were no apps that would simply sync with a pc. I was shocked to have this brand new modern device yet I wanted it to behave more like my old palm pilot.

--

lrando

no leída,
7 nov 2012, 2:43:127/11/12
a mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
BRAVO. Instead of six or more development branches, MLO could have just two, both web based, one for pc and one for mobile.
I'm glad to see someone else point this out. I brought this up within the past year in this forum, and subsequently rely more on toodledo for all my personal stuff, and MLO to just simply augment Microsoft OneNote for tracking my workflow in the office.
If MLO didn't do heirarchical organization the way it does, I wouldn't use it at all.
Something else you may not have run across is that MLO uses godaddy for some of their services which is blocked by our corporate policies and may be blocked by yours too.
There is an android app in google play that works great but has no pc equivalent, but then thats where you use toodledo's web interface. Its called ULTIMATE TO-DO LIST. It looks ugly but thats because it uses a black background to conserve the battery.
Michael Linenberger has an article on his blog about mobile task management and compensating for device OS platform differences.

robisme

no leída,
7 nov 2012, 3:31:437/11/12
a mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Toodledo is far far far away from the ergonomic of MLO.
Try to move a bulk of tasks, use keyboard shortcuts, rapid task entry, change the due date or context of 15 tasks together, powerfully filter you viex upon your own criterias, etc.

westpo...@yahoo.com

no leída,
7 nov 2012, 9:44:317/11/12
a mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Seconded. We use online only for shared documents. I would never want MLO on the cloud. Plus, that would typically incur a monthly fee. Ouch! One can follow the success of Pocket Informant, which has an online platform, to discern the market interest in such a platform over time.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

From: Gene Horodecki <mali...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 16:50:37 -0600
Subject: Re: [MLO] Currently I see no future in MLO

Richard Collings

no leída,
7 nov 2012, 17:51:017/11/12
a mylifeo...@googlegroups.com

Yup – agree. Absolutely no point in supporting platforms that have a tiny fraction of the market.   And in terms of my situation, I can’t see where I would use a web based interface as I am either working at my computer or I have my Smartphone with me.

I think Andrey obviously needs to keep an eye on the market and where a platform is taking off in volume, then it probably makes sense to support that but no point in spending valuable developer effort on platforms where either the market is small; or there is no business case.

Richard

Richard Collings

no leída,
8 nov 2012, 17:56:258/11/12
a mylifeo...@googlegroups.com

You raise some interesting points about collaboration/team use using MLO which by co-incidence I was also thinking about today.   The conclusion that I came to was that MLO is very much a personal organisational tool that individuals use to manage (and ideally plan) their day to day/hour by hour work.

I think it would be very difficult to turn it into a tool in which teams shared a single task hierarchy.

I think other tools (web based) are better suited to manage teams and that’s the way it should remain.

As far as I am aware there are no plans to turn it into a team/corporate tool (but I have no insight here – beyond what Andrey posts).

Would be interested in other people’s views.

Richard

blog at www.schneier.com
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/57C097F1.6040001%40gmail.com.

Elizabeth Lindsay

no leída,
27 ago 2016, 12:14:0827/8/16
a MyLifeOrganized
I'd like to briefly chime in.  Please understand I am not following the thread, so I apologize if this seems out of place.  I personally LOVE MLO and I hope that a discussion with such a negative title doesn't sway the developers to stop work on this product.  I know I am WAY more productive at work because of MLO and I want to express my thanks to the team.

Michael Emerald, CFA

no leída,
27 ago 2016, 13:14:5827/8/16
a mylifeo...@googlegroups.com

I agree with Lindsey. Moreover, I've already suggested an enterprise version of it, for group collaboration.

Another suggestion would be a premium plan for 25 or more cloud files.

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On August 27, 2016 12:14:13 Elizabeth Lindsay <techno...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'd like to briefly chime in.  Please understand I am not following the thread, so I apologize if this seems out of place.  I personally LOVE MLO and I hope that a discussion with such a negative title doesn't sway the developers to stop work on this product.  I know I am WAY more productive at work because of MLO and I want to express my thanks to the team.

trs...@gmail.com

no leída,
29 ago 2016, 7:28:4429/8/16
a mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
I don't think a brief foray into the problems of encryption is off topic, in fact I think it's directly on topic to my (and others'?) concerns. So thanks for your input, Dwight.

At any rate, yes I have researched into and thought about these questions a great deal also (including reading Bruce Schneier of course) and the gist of what you said is true (generally, it's more complex than you might at first think). And that's why I said right off the bat that, for me personally, I generally follow the precept that "encryption should be left to those most knowledgeable" with a healthy preference for FOSS over proprietary solutions (because security by obscurity is not security at all) while also realizing that just because it's FOSS doesn't mean it's bulletproof either.

I am also under no illusions that if I was directly targeted by some three letter agency that I would likely be in trouble, but that doesn't mean we should just throw the baby out with the bath water and just give up. What I am shooting for is at least being able to stop the indiscriminate hoovering up of my data as it is sent over the internet, or preferably perhaps be able to store it here on a computer that I physically control. I think that's better than "cloud" storage which is of course just a marketing term for storing your data on someone else's computer.

Many people share my same concerns, in fact I think more and more that people are starting to reject "the cloud" as they realize it's not all it's cranked up to be. This is a larger trend that I think all businesses (including Andrey / MLO) need to recognize. As some others have pointed out already in this thread, the trend seems to be moving toward "my data is mine."

So then you come back to storing your data file on your own computer locally (in a True Crypt container for instance) and then doing local sync, and then you run into the problem of only being able to sync 1 PC with one other device, a single pair. I need to sync between a laptop, a PC, and my phone (3 devices). Because your capture system needs to be available to you at all times or it is worthless. This is one of the main tenets of GTD (and other systems I'm sure).

So I guess what I am asking is can we please remove the artificial restriction on single pair local sync?

And here is where we will run into a conflict with Andrey's business interest/model (to sell cloud sync) and this is always the biggest problem with non free software sooner or later. It is putting someone else's interests ahead of mine the user.

I don't expect Andrey to change his stance on this, as I said it's directly opposed to his business interest and that's his right.

So then what am I to do? Either mess with the hassle of re-pairing multiple devices all the time, don't put anything sensitive into MLO (which kind of defeats the purpose of having one centralized system), or go look for other solutions (I have and haven't found anything quite as capable, yet), or go write my own software.

You might laugh at that last option, as someone who hasn't coded anything seriously in a long time, but let's say for a moment that I do eventually get something cranked out after a couple years of toil (perhaps less time if others pitch in and join me). And then Andrey you would be looking at s FOSS competitor to your product that people could download for free, modify as they wish, and all the other benefits of free software. Your entire business might go the way of the dodo.

Now I don't really want to do that to you, so instead can you just allow more than a single pair of devices to sync locally? Please? Pretty please, with whip cream and a cherry on top? :)

Sent from my android device.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "MyLifeOrganized" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/156c8c74208.2828.e3899142e96de3f9352600768bcafaf9%40dwightarthur.us.

Dwight Arthur

no leída,
29 ago 2016, 9:14:4929/8/16
a mylifeo...@googlegroups.com

Hi, TRS. Wifi sync can work with as many devices as you like, except that each sync session is for a specific pair and if your current device and its target are not currently paired you have to re-pair them. This is all the same as cloud sync except for the need to re-pair. Re-pairing isn't complex or difficult, it's just that you have to walk over to the target device and do the re-pairing. So, if you are up for some custom software development, how about creating a keyboard macro for your desktop called "pair with laptop" and one called "pair with phone" and an efficient means of triggering these macros remotely?

trs...@gmail.com

no leída,
29 ago 2016, 12:05:2429/8/16
a mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
That's actually a great idea, Dwight. I've already played with AutoHotKey on Windows and Tasker on Android. Obviously on GNU/Linux you can do a lot with bash and other tools. Although we are talking about MLO inside a Windows VM on a GNU/Linux box and therefore using AHK inside the Windows VM, and then something on the phone end. That's definitely within my current capabilities.

I'll need to play with it and see what I can get worked out. If/when I do, I'll try and remember to post back some sort of guide (or my AHK scripts, or whatever) for the benefit of the community.

Dwight, has anyone told you lately how valuable of a resource you are to this community, my man?

Are you on the payroll? If not, maybe you should be? Because you likely just saved one paying user from going and looking for another product. Maybe you should be compensated on a piece work basis. lol

I am also coming around to your previously expressed point of view that customer service can be a selling point. I suppose I've always known that, it's just that it's practically a forgotten craft in today's day and age.

Well done, my man. You should feel good today. :)
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/156d67005e8.2828.e3899142e96de3f9352600768bcafaf9%40dwightarthur.us.

trs...@gmail.com

no leída,
29 ago 2016, 12:05:2829/8/16
a mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
I should have replied to Dwight via this thread title. Dwight, if you reply again, please do so here.

Apologies to Elizabeth (Lindsey), Michael, or anyone else upset by the previous "chicken little" title, as I said in my first post I did not pick it.

Anyway, after Dwight's last post, I see a workable path forward now. Thanks again Dwight for the suggestion!

Sent from my android device.