Problem with TB52.0

Frank

Apr 4, 2017, 7:37:32 PM4/4/17
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Just downloaded but cannot see ng in eternal september. Maybe this will
not show up. How can I fix.

Frank

Apr 4, 2017, 7:45:42 PM4/4/17
On 4/4/2017 7:36 PM, Frank wrote:
> Just downloaded but cannot see ng in eternal september. Maybe this will
> not show up. How can I fix.

This group is OK and aioe is OK but e-s does not show messages.

Frank

Apr 4, 2017, 7:49:34 PM4/4/17
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Now all is working - weird.

David E. Ross

Apr 4, 2017, 7:50:21 PM4/4/17
On 4/4/2017 4:36 PM, Frank wrote:
> Just downloaded but cannot see ng in eternal september. Maybe this will
> not show up. How can I fix.

Use the latest end-user release of Thunderbird, which is 45.8.0. Any
later version is still in development and might contain new bugs that
need to be fixed.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com>

Consider:
* Most state mandate that drivers have liability insurance.
* Employers are mandated to have worker's compensation insurance.
* If you live in a flood zone, flood insurance is mandatory.
* If your home has a mortgage, fire insurance is mandatory.

Why then is mandatory health insurance so bad??

Frank

Apr 4, 2017, 8:04:03 PM4/4/17
On 4/4/2017 7:49 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 4/4/2017 4:36 PM, Frank wrote:
>> Just downloaded but cannot see ng in eternal september. Maybe this will
>> not show up. How can I fix.
>>

> Use the latest end-user release of Thunderbird, which is 45.8.0. Any
> later version is still in development and might contain new bugs that
> need to be fixed.

We posted at same time. It is OK now. I was worried I might need to
reinstall an old version.

WaltS48

Apr 4, 2017, 10:41:07 PM4/4/17
On 4/4/17 7:49 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 4/4/2017 4:36 PM, Frank wrote:
>> Just downloaded but cannot see ng in eternal september. Maybe this will
>> not show up. How can I fix.
>>
> Use the latest end-user release of Thunderbird, which is 45.8.0. Any
> later version is still in development and might contain new bugs that
> need to be fixed.

Don't know if 45.8.0 is updating yet. I haven't checked my Windows
version, however 52.0 was released today.

<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/52.0/releasenotes/>

--
Go Bucs and Pens!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>

David E. Ross

Apr 5, 2017, 1:05:09 AM4/5/17
On 4/4/2017 7:40 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 4/4/17 7:49 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 4/4/2017 4:36 PM, Frank wrote:
>>> Just downloaded but cannot see ng in eternal september. Maybe this will
>>> not show up. How can I fix.
>>>
>> Use the latest end-user release of Thunderbird, which is 45.8.0. Any
>> later version is still in development and might contain new bugs that
>> need to be fixed.
>>
> Don't know if 45.8.0 is updating yet. I haven't checked my Windows
> version, however 52.0 was released today.
>
> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/52.0/releasenotes/>

I do not yet see any release notes. Given recent changes to Firefox
that might have propagated into Thunderbird (e.g., killing old
extensions), I will not install 52.0 although I have downloaded it.
Installation will wait until I see the release notes.

Alex S.

Apr 5, 2017, 1:42:38 AM4/5/17
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 22:04:31 -0700, David E. Ross wrote
in <mailman.1172.1491368704....@lists.mozilla.org>:

> I do not yet see any release notes. Given recent changes to Firefox
> that might have propagated into Thunderbird (e.g., killing old
> extensions), I will not install 52.0 although I have downloaded it.
> Installation will wait until I see the release notes.

All extensions that I'm using are still working fine on 52. I'm pretty sure,
killing off legacy extension support isn't even an option for TB. Lightning is
implemented as an extension, so removing support for classic extensions would
instantly kill Lightning and given its nature, I don't think it can be easily
re-implemented as web extension.

I'm not a heavy extension user, but here is the list of my extension that is
working and has been working fine since 52 entered beta quite some while ago:

* Google calendar provider
* Dorando keyconfig
* Signature switch
* Compact header
* gContact sync (sync contacts with google account)
* SmartTemplate 4
* Quick Filter for watched threads.

That's it.

--
Ask five economists and you'll get five different explanations (six if
one went to Harvard).

Keith Nuttle

Apr 5, 2017, 9:16:01 AM4/5/17
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
On 4/4/2017 7:49 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 4/4/2017 4:36 PM, Frank wrote:
>> Just downloaded but cannot see ng in eternal september. Maybe this will
>> not show up. How can I fix.
>>

> Use the latest end-user release of Thunderbird, which is 45.8.0. Any
> later version is still in development and might contain new bugs that
> need to be fixed.

Last night Version 52.0 download and installed on my computer.

Did Mozilla make a mistake and version 52. is not the latest release
version.

Wayne

Apr 5, 2017, 11:20:28 AM4/5/17
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
All your base are belong to us.

I think we've bnen through this before - so perhaps now is the time to
understand, that what you are offered isn't always the same as what
someone else sees nor necessarily what you would expect. And not always
what people are telling you on the internet - notably the news and
download outlets.

Yes, 52.0 is built and available for direct download. That doesn't mean
we necessarily offer it to existing users for automatic update or even
manual update on the Thunderbird help menu. Or if we do offer it, it
might not be for all OS.

Release management controls what is offered or not until such time that
we are satisfied the version is strong enough to be offered to all
users. What is offered may change from day to day - or hour to hour -
for *any* release, not just big changes like from 45.x to 52.x.

Bottom line, if you don't see an update being offered, don't fight it or
stress about it, the state your are seeing in likely intentional and for
a good reason.

Keith Nuttle

Apr 5, 2017, 11:31:04 AM4/5/17
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
I don't know about others, but I got TB Version 52.0 from the Help,
About Thunderbird. I don't go looking for trouble and go out side of
the standard system in Thunderbird for updating.

Andy Burns

Apr 5, 2017, 12:20:16 PM4/5/17
Frank wrote:

>> This group is OK and aioe is OK but e-s does not show messages.
>
> Now all is working - weird.

I've seen reports elsewhere that e-s is not exchanging articles with the
outside world at the moment ...

Alex S.

Apr 5, 2017, 1:38:09 PM4/5/17
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 11:30:26 -0400, Keith Nuttle wrote
in <mailman.1206.1491406257....@lists.mozilla.org>:

> I don't know about others, but I got TB Version 52.0 from the Help, About
> Thunderbird. I don't go looking for trouble and go out side of the standard
> system in Thunderbird for updating.

This is exactly what people should do to avoid problems. Unless one is an
experienced enough user who can deal with most kinds of update-related
problems, it's generally (not only here with Mozilla products) not a wise idea
to force an update just for the purpose of having the most recent version.

Modern auto-update methods are sufficiently advanced to do the right thing in
most cases, so if an update is not automatically offered, there might be a
very good reason for *not* installing it.

Of course, that doesn't apply to testers and others who would happily install
and use the most recent nightly builds just because they can and usually (but
not always) know ho to deal with resulting issues.

--
Take your dying with some seriousness, however. Laughing on the way to
your execution is not generally understood by less advanced life forms,

Keith Nuttle

Apr 5, 2017, 3:17:05 PM4/5/17
On 4/5/2017 1:37 PM, Alex S. wrote:
> This is exactly what people should do to avoid problems. Unless one is
> an experienced enough user who can deal with most kinds of
> update-related problems, it's generally (not only here with Mozilla
> products) not a wise idea to force an update just for the purpose of
> having the most recent version.
When you have TB set to notify you only and not to automatically update,
the only way you can accept an update is through the Help menu.

So you are saying that I should have TB set to automatically update,
taking away all of the update process.

Frank

Apr 5, 2017, 7:03:13 PM4/5/17
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Coincidences do happen.
It was initially very worrying as it happened just after download and
restart but it was confined to e-s not aioe but I did not discover this
until posting here.

Alex S.

Apr 5, 2017, 7:55:45 PM4/5/17
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 17:21:01 +0100, Andy Burns wrote
in <mailman.1205.1491409210....@lists.mozilla.org>:

> I've seen reports elsewhere that e-s is not exchanging articles with the
> outside world at the moment ...

True, on Wednesday, 5th, there were about 5 hours of outage on e-s.org. During
this time it was cut off its feeds and thus only able to distribute locally
posted articles.

Should be fixed by now.

--
It's later than you think, the joint Russian-American space mission has
already begun.

Al Lawrence

Apr 5, 2017, 8:05:21 PM4/5/17
to support-t...@lists.mozilla.org
Help > About Thunderbird

No longer any mention of the 52.0 update being available

Displays 45.8
Thunderbird is up to date

Was 52.0 pulled?

Wayne

Apr 6, 2017, 5:45:08 AM4/6/17
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org

Al Lawrence

Apr 6, 2017, 7:54:48 AM4/6/17
to support-t...@lists.mozilla.org
Not sure it explains it for what I posted. Help > About showed the link
to download 52.0 one day and gone the next...
Saw all the uneasiness about 52.0 and decided to post my experience, in
case it would help in some fashion.....
I'm a happy camper at the moment....

Thanks
Al

Wayne wrote on 4/6/2017 5:44 AM:
> On 4/5/2017 8:04 PM, Al Lawrence wrote:
> Please see
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.support.thunderbird/p1HvxQYoSjw/zfXzyhNtBgAJ

Keith Nuttle

Apr 6, 2017, 8:57:00 AM4/6/17
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
My installation notified me that Version 52 was available and I
installed it. I had a problem with morefunctionsforAB-TB3-0.7.5 and
had to remove it. That was no problem in that I don't use it frequently.

Other that that I have been happily using Version 52 for the last couple
of days

Wayne

Apr 6, 2017, 11:03:14 AM4/6/17
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
As the saying goes, "What's your *real* question?"

If your real question is "Is 52.0 a bad release?" the answer is no, so
far we haven't seen anything that makes us fee it needs to be rebuilt.

Al Lawrence

Apr 6, 2017, 12:36:09 PM4/6/17
to support-t...@lists.mozilla.org

The REAL question as stated fairly concisely... "Was 52.0 pulled?"

Wayne wrote on 4/6/2017 11:02 AM:
> As the saying goes, "What's your *real* question?"
>
> If your real question is "Is 52.0 a bad release?" the answer is no, so
> far we haven't seen anything that makes us fee it needs to be rebuilt.

Good Guy

Apr 6, 2017, 1:04:30 PM4/6/17
On 06/04/2017 17:35, Al Lawrence wrote:

The REAL question as stated fairly concisely... "Was 52.0 pulled?"

I have never seen Mozilla recalling or pulling back any releases.  this has never happened as far as I can remember.

If there is a problem or if a bug is found and considered to be very serious then a patch is released that installs on what is already installed.  I haven't seen 52.0.1 yet so it can't be buggy but it is not meant for the general release either.  This suggests that some more work needs to be done.

--
With over 500 million devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

Disaster Master

Apr 6, 2017, 2:14:58 PM4/6/17
On Thu Apr 06 2017 08:56:23 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Keith Nuttle <keith_...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
My installation notified me that Version 52 was available and I
installed it.   I had a problem with morefunctionsforAB-TB3-0.7.5 and
had to remove it.  That was no problem in that I don't use it frequently.

Yeah - the one thing I use it for is its ability to import/export individual address book entries with a right-click...

Wayne

Apr 6, 2017, 3:03:21 PM4/6/17
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
word definition - http://www.dictionary.com/browse/pull

nope, not pulled

Al Lawrence

Apr 6, 2017, 3:08:41 PM4/6/17

Wayne wrote on 4/6/2017 3:02 PM:
> word definition - http://www.dictionary.com/browse/pull
Petty... but if it makes you happy

> nope, not pulled
At this point in time,irrelevant

Wayne

Apr 6, 2017, 3:41:25 PM4/6/17
On 4/6/2017 3:08 PM, Al Lawrence wrote:

> Wayne wrote on 4/6/2017 3:02 PM:
>> word definition - http://www.dictionary.com/browse/pull
> Petty... but if it makes you happy

Petty, I don't think so. No, it doesn't make me happy that you don't
have the answer you want. I would have preferred to answer your
question, but I'm also not going to kill myself to provide one that
satisfies you. In my first reply I took one guess at what you meant,
defined what I think you meant, provided an answer, and apparently
failed. You didn't offer to clarify what you meant. My conscience is clean.

Mark12547

Apr 8, 2017, 9:52:28 AM4/8/17
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
In article <mailman.1275.1491496561.10544.support-
thund...@lists.mozilla.org>, a...@sunrisedoors.com says...
> The REAL question as stated fairly concisely... "Was 52.0 pulled?"

Pulled or not, it has been un-pulled: I just got it again through the
internal updater.