Added "Firefox Hello" to tracked projects on Webdashboard

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Feb 7, 2015, 6:58:07 AM2/7/15
to Mozilla projects web content localization, Mozilla l10n Mailing List
Hi,
a quick update on our tools. Cross posting to dev-l10n to have more
visibility on some aspects (first part of the mail).

If you haven't checked the survey about snippets yet, please take a
look. Next week we plan to collect and analyze the available data
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.l10n.web/KLIvhBfqHGc

If you haven't localized the "Firefox Hello" project on Verbatim, you
really should take a look since it's an integral part of the user experience
https://localize.mozilla.org/projects/loop/
https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/~flod/webstatus/?product=loop-client-l10n

*Webdashboard-Webstatus*
About a year ago I added to the Webdashboard a section – called
“External Web Projects Status” – to track the status of external web
projects.
Example for Afrikaans:
https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/webdashboard/?locale=af

The idea was to provide localizers with an overall view of all
web-related projects. All these projects were using Gettext files (.po)
as datasource, which is convenient: strings only have 3 states
(translated, untranslated, fuzzy), so it's easy to determine and display
the status of a localization.

The real data source for this table is provided by another tool, called
Webstatus
https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/~flod/webstatus/

This tool clones repositories and analyze the available files,
extracting supported locales and creating localization stats for each of
them. That explain why:

* It might display different results compared to Verbatim, which uses
its own storage. If you don't commit to VCS, strings won't be
considered translated in Webstatus (but also on the actual
website/webapp). A locale might also be available in the repository
but not in Verbatim (it happened recently for SocialAPI and Dutch).
* It's set to run every 4 hours, and for that reason the time of last
update is always displayed somewhere near the data.

*Firefox Hello*
A few months ago the "Firefox Hello" project was added to Verbatim
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.l10n/4Z8sA07CN6w/_sLrddjWHisJ

Some of you might have noticed that this project wasn't listed on the
Webdashboard. The reason is that it's using a .properties file as
datasource instead of a Gettext file.

In the last 2 days I heavily rewrote Webstatus to add support for
.properties files, and improve the main view.
Given the size of the changes, it's likely to have bugs: if you find
any, please let me know.

Unfortunately Verbatim adds all missing strings (in English) to your
localized files, so all locales result as "complete".
I added an extra metric for these files ("Identical strings"): that
explains why you'll see two different shades of green. If you hover on a
bar in Webdashboard, the tooltip will give you more information.

Since the amount of information is becoming hard to display, I also put
a link to Webstatus under the table.

Francesco

Michal Stanke

Feb 7, 2015, 7:55:55 AM2/7/15
to dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Francesco,

thank you for all the information about Firefox Hello and its
localization. I played with the webstatus views a while and it looks
pretty good.

I just wonder, if Verbatim does not started to commit the changes
automatically once a time? I think there was such information in the
maillist, or proposal to implement it, in past two month I think, but
cannot find it in my mailbox now.

Michal Stanke

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Feb 7, 2015, 8:10:30 AM2/7/15
to dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org
Il 07/02/15 13:55, Michal Stanke ha scritto:
> I just wonder, if Verbatim does not started to commit the changes
> automatically once a time?
That was about Pootle: it's committing changes automatically every hour,
but that's relevant only for teams working on products (Firefox, Firefox
OS, etc.) with that tool.

Verbatim is still running an older version of Pootle, I know Dwayne and
Matjaz are working to update it. Not sure if we'll have automatic
updates too at that point.

Francesco

Michael Wolf

Feb 7, 2015, 12:51:37 PM2/7/15
Francesco Lodolo [:flod] schrieb:
> Verbatim is still running an older version of Pootle, I know Dwayne and
> Matjaz are working to update it. Not sure if we'll have automatic
> updates too at that point.

It would be good. Often I got a server error (e.g. just now) "global
name 'filename' is not defined" while committing. So the webdashboard
isn't updated.

Regards,

Michael

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Feb 7, 2015, 1:05:25 PM2/7/15
to dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org
Il 07/02/15 18:51, Michael Wolf ha scritto:
The webdashboard is the least of your problems in that case: it means
that the website is not getting updated files.

Francesco

Michael Wolf

Feb 7, 2015, 1:24:24 PM2/7/15
Francesco Lodolo [:flod] schrieb:
> The webdashboard is the least of your problems in that case: it means
> that the website is not getting updated files.

Hm, and what is the cause for this server error?

Michael

Matjaz Horvat

Feb 9, 2015, 5:39:27 AM2/9/15
On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 6:51 PM, Michael Wolf <mil...@sorbzilla.de> wrote:

> It would be good. Often I got a server error (e.g. just now) "global name
> 'filename' is not defined" while committing. So the webdashboard isn't
> updated.

Yeah, automatic pushes from Verbatim to repo are planned.

The server errors should be gone with the update to the latest Pootle
version. They are caused by bugs in Verbatim. ;)

-Matjaž