2 models out of one

1 view

Andreas Duering

Nov 20, 2012, 10:58:43 AM11/20/12
to modell...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

Is it advisable to develop one exisiting model into 2 different updated ones and how can I do that without causing problems?
Just loading it and saving the 2 different links?

Thanks&best
Andreas

Howard Noble

Nov 20, 2012, 11:05:21 AM11/20/12
to modell...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andreas,

I am not sure I understand what you are doing but in case this is similar:

i.e. I have lots of version of the same model on the go...stable, first editions, experimental etc. I used google docs to organise everything.

Andreas Duering

Nov 20, 2012, 11:14:28 AM11/20/12
to modell...@googlegroups.com
Dear Howard,

So you are using different frozen model links and they will not interfere with each other. Is that right?
I just wanted to make sure before developing 2 ideas which might not have much in common based on what I have already got.

Just out of curiosity, would it be better to do all in one model and just turn on/off the additional code?

Thank you for the link. I am doing sth. similar in a word file :-)

All best
Andreas

2012/11/20 Howard Noble <howard...@gmail.com>
Hi Andreas,

I am not sure I understand what you are doing but in case this is similar:

i.e. I have lots of version of the same model on the go...stable, first editions, experimental etc. I used google docs to organise everything.

Howard Noble

Nov 20, 2012, 11:18:47 AM11/20/12
to modell...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, November 20, 2012, Andreas Duering wrote:
Dear Howard,

So you are using different frozen model links and they will not interfere with each other. Is that right?
I just wanted to make sure before developing 2 ideas which might not have much in common based on what I have already got.

yes, frozen models are discrete and independent - I use them for major revisions.

Just out of curiosity, would it be better to do all in one model and just turn on/off the additional code?

activating/inactivating is good for minor revisions.

Thank you for the link. I am doing sth. similar in a word file :-)

google docs good for sharing models with people i.e. my kenyan fisher and marine biologists

Ken Kahn

Nov 20, 2012, 12:33:29 PM11/20/12
to modell...@googlegroups.com
All I want to add is that an advantage of deactivating/re-activating micro-behaviours is that if you fix a bug or improve some micro-behaviours in common between two models you'll need to make the changes in both versions. Not so if you keep one version and activate/de-activate. However, once you have lots of inactive micro-behaviours (and prototypes) things get a bit clumsy and they get in the way of effective browsing. Another advantage of deactivating is that it is easier to see what is in common and what is different between versions.

Best,

-ken