Re: [mnemosyne-proj-users] Questions about mnemosyne???

Peter Bienstman

Nov 16, 2012, 5:36:52 AM11/16/12
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
On 11/16/2012 11:25 AM, Mallow wrote:

> Question one: As a test I imported 5 blank flashcards and did not review them I simply chose '2' rating for each one. My question is how come mnemosyne sets some cards to be reviewed 'tomorrow', and other cards to be reviewed in 'two days' when they were given the same exact rating?

There is some randomness involved in the schedule, to get a better spread.

> Question two: Is there a feature that would allow me to go to the next day? One of the reasons I dislike most programs out there, is that it seems (from reading documentation) that they consider 'days' to be the factor of when the next time of review should be. That seems kind of clunky. If I go on vacation for a week I don't want to come back to a program that decided to combine all the cards from the week I missed in one session. Instead of 'days' I would rather look at each time I open the program as 'sessions' So instead of in two days, i can wait two sessions however long that may be, whether it's two hours apart of two months. Is this a feature in Mnemosyne? (Is this a feature anywhere?)

If you've finished your scheduled reviews for the day, you get an option
to learn ahead of schedule. It's not recommended to do this too often,
though.

Don't worry too much about catching up after a holiday, Mnemosyne will
automatically schedule the most urgent cards first.

> Question three: If each 'day/session' i were to rate a card a '2'
would I expect to see this card every two days for the rest of my life
or will it add exponentially? (ex. Each comma represents a 'session':
every two days: +2, +2, +2, +2, +2 vs exponential +2, +3, +4, +5) If it
is the former how does it calculate a '5' rating?

It will go exponentially, see

http://www.supermemo.com/english/ol/sm2.htm

It's generally considered that this algorithm is more efficient than
Leitner.

Cheers,

Peter

Michael Campbell

Nov 16, 2012, 8:57:11 AM11/16/12
to mnemosyne-proj-users
To add to what Peter said, I've had this vacation crunch issue in the past, and it's easily solved by just setting a time for mnemosyne, and sticking to that time.  If you don't get all your scheduled cards done in that time, no biggie.   Eventually you'll get through the backlog.  I use a little timer-app on my computer for something like 5 or 10 mins a day, and that works out fine for me.

Michael Campbell

Nov 20, 2012, 9:01:40 AM11/20/12
to mnemosyne-proj-users
If you don't want to deal with the grading continuum, don't.  Grade everything a 0 or 1 (if you don't know it) and a 4 if you do.   Nothing bad will happen; you still get things you know less often and things you forget more often.  That's basically Leitner anyway.

This isn't directed at you specifically, but your post made me think of it.  Having used mnemo a few years now and watching this mailing list pretty closely I've seen an idea surface over and over again; and that is what happens if I do something outside the "perfect" parameters; the 2 biggest being "what if I miss days?", "oh my, I've graded a card wrong; what do I do?"   The answer is, "nothing".  It's no big deal.  Let it go.  If you graded it too HIGH, you may forget it next time, which will be taken care of by your 0 or 1 grade when you next see it.  If you grade it too low, you'll see it earlier than you would have otherwise, and what's the big deal?    And for missed days, just do what you can when you can.  It can be shown that assuming you remember at least some of the time from day to day, you can do 1 card a day and *eventually* get through an arbitrarily large stack.

Ones memory is such a fluid dynamic thing that trying to curve-fit SM2 (or any algorithm) to it just isn't possible, or beneficial.  Your memory may kick ass today, and absolute shite tomorrow; no algorithm can hope to model that.  And each person is different too.  I think these fine-tuning exercises I see people attempting, while perhaps fun, are of little to no actual benefit.  The benefit comes from doing, not tweaking.  I'm sure Peter or Gwern have some studies at hand that might have more information.

So, make a best effort on grading, and try to do it daily or at least as often as you can, and it'll work fine.  This isn't an optimization exercise, it's just meant to reduce work that may not be necessary.

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 3:40 AM, <prince...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I will do some more testing to see if I like the SM2 stuff. In my head I really think I would much prefer the leitner. Probably mainly due to there having less ambiguity. (You either know it or you don't) It becomes much too emotionally taxing, (for some individuals) to properly categories it as a 1,2,3,4, or 5 card. But that is what SM2 is so I might as well give it a shot.  ^_^

Also thanks for that little trick on getting tomorrow's cards done. A bit tedious but it does the job.

Peter Bienstman

Nov 20, 2012, 9:15:30 AM11/20/12
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Michael, great post! I agree completely.

I'll see if I find a good place to place this on our website (with
credit to you of course).

Peter
> <mailto:mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com>.
> mnemosyne-proj-u...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:mnemosyne-proj-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mnemosyne-proj-users/-/4aTzHAqSo08J.
>

> --

Peter Bienstman
Ghent University, Dept. of Information Technology
Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat 41, B-9000 Gent, Belgium
tel: +32 9 264 34 46, fax: +32 9 264 35 93
WWW: http://photonics.intec.UGent.be
email: Peter.B...@UGent.be

Michael Campbell

Vit

Feb 28, 2013, 12:57:46 PM2/28/13
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
 Hi, Michael.

On Friday, November 16, 2012 8:57:13 AM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
.......  I use a little timer-app on my computer for something like 5 or 10 mins a day, and that works out fine for me.  Eventually you'll get through the backlog.
---------------------- Vit:
         I use actual Timers, but would like to switch to your  timer-app { bcs I trust you found the best one :-) }.
    I'd also use it for HARD New cards - for the intraday  Reps -- emulating Pimsleur's intraday intervals { and discovering my own}.

Would you mind giving me the link to that timer-app?

 Thank you again.
Vit

Michael Campbell

Feb 28, 2013, 1:36:54 PM2/28/13
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I'm on a Windows machine so this may or may not work for you, but the timer I use is here: http://www.orzeszek.org/dev/timer/

The reason I like it is I can put it in my windows PATH, and then use command line commands to drive it.  So I rename it to "timer.exe", and on any command window (or the start button) I can just type:

timer 5m

and it counts down in a window for 5 minutes.

Or:   timer 17:22     and it will count down until 5:22PM.  It accepts a number of input formats.