Do any Android phone manufacturers throttle (CPUs, PD Charging, Modems) like Apple consistently does?

Arlen _G_ Holder

Oct 7, 2019, 8:01:21 AM10/7/19
Do any Android phone manufacturers throttle (CPUs, PD Charging, Modems)?

It's well known that Apple is drunk on throttling (usually secretly)
o Apple throttles CPUs (up to and including the iPhone XR, XS, & XSMax)
o Apple throttles modems (they throttle the Qualcomm modems)
o Apple throttles PD charging speeds (e.g., the iPhone 11 series)
etc.

I'm just curious if there is _any_ Android manufacturer who does this.

nospam

Oct 7, 2019, 8:37:42 AM10/7/19
In article <qnf9eg$gf7$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen _G_ Holder
<_arlen....@halder.edu> wrote:

> Do any Android phone manufacturers throttle (CPUs, PD Charging, Modems)?

yes, and those that don't risk unexpected shutdowns.

Libor Striz

Oct 7, 2019, 8:52:57 AM10/7/19
Arlen _G_ Holder <_arlen....@halder.edu> Wrote in message:
> Do any Android phone manufacturers throttle (CPUs, PD Charging, Modems)?It's well known that Apple is drunk on throttling (usually secretly)o Apple throttles CPUs (up to and including the iPhone XR, XS, & XSMax)o Apple throttles modems (they throttle the Qualcomm modems)o Apple throttles PD charging speeds (e.g., the iPhone 11 series)etc.I'm just curious if there is _any_ Android manufacturer who does this.

I guess you do not have in mind throttling by OS design, like CPU
powersaving.

The CPU throttling may be monitored e.g. by CPU-Z or AIDA64,
comparing data to the nominal max frequency.

--
Poutnik ( the Wanderer )

Arlen _G_ Holder

Oct 7, 2019, 10:04:11 AM10/7/19
On Mon, 07 Oct 2019 08:37:40 -0400, nospam wrote:

> yes, and those that don't risk unexpected shutdowns.

Hi nospam,

Children own imaginary belief systems, nsopam.

The simplest test of imaginary belief systems, is three words:
o Name just one

1. Name just one cite for:
Android manufacturers who secretly drastically permanently throttle CPUs.

2. Name just one cite for:
Android manufacturers that secretly throttle PD charging to 70%.

3. Name just one cite for:
Android manufacturers that secretly throttle modem speeds.

Adults own belief systems which are based on actual facts.
o Adults aren't afraid of facts.

Arlen _G_ Holder

Oct 7, 2019, 10:25:52 AM10/7/19
On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 14:52:50 +0200 (GMT+02:00), Libor Striz wrote:

> I guess you do not have in mind throttling by OS design, like CPU
> powersaving.
>
> The CPU throttling may be monitored e.g. by CPU-Z or AIDA64,
> comparing data to the nominal max frequency.

Hi Poutnik,

This is an important question because it relates to business practices.
o I'm not afraid of facts - and neither are you afraid of facts.

We're both rather well educated - so we can comprehend facts.
o And, we comprehend imaginary belief systems - which lack facts.

You bring up a good clarification point, where I'm only asking about
o Secret throttling (which is installed AFTER the product ships!)
o Permanent throttling (which is installed AFTER the product ships!)
o Drastic throttling (which is installed AFTER the product ships!)

NOTE: The modem throttling is installed before the product ships.

We know for a fact, Apple _repeatedly_ does that.
o The only question is whether Android manufacturers do the same.

As any adult is aware, Apple is literally drunk on drastically,.
permanently, and secretly throttling AFTER releasing a product.

Sometimes it takes "about a year" (e.g., the iPhone X clearly has
throttling software added well after it shipped), and some happens in
"about a month" (e.g., even the latest iPhone 11 series of product).

Notice the pattern is consistent:
o The throttling does not generally happen at release time
o The throttling happens AFTER the release (except in the modem case)
o This throttling is done secretly (i.e., nothing in the release notes)
o This throttling is drastic (we're talking HUGE throttling here!)
o This throttling is PERMANENT (no way around it with the same phone)
o This throttling is SECRET (always secret - that's a clue of course)

Apple did it with the iPhone 11 series just this month!
Apple did it with the iPhone XR/XS series which released last year.
Apple did it with all the Qualcomm modems in the recent iPhones.

This throttling is
o Secret
o Drastic
o Permanent

There's no way you can "unthrottle" the Qualcomm modems, for example.
You can't unthrottle the PD charging on the latest iPhone 11 series.
At first, it was secret and you had no choice on drastic CPU throttling.

Now you have the most unenviable of choices.

Fact is, your choice in throttling of every iPhone from the iPhone 6 to the
iPhone XS, iPhone XR, and iPhone XS Max (including the iPhone 7 & iPhone X)
is the stark unacceptable choice of:
o Do you want unacceptable stability?
o Or do you want unacceptable CPU speeds?
(You MUST choose one!)

The apologist nospam constantly blames Android for these secret, permanent,
and drastic throttling that Apple appears to be drunk on, which, I repeat,
Apple secretly institutes AFTER the product ships!

Even the latest iPhone 11 has secret, drastic, & permanent PD throttling.
o Secretly implemented by Apple (as always) AFTER the product shipped!

If nospam blames Android for Apple's secret throttling decisions
o All nospam need to do is provide a single cite for each of his claims

If nospam believes what he said, he should have facts backing it up, right?

I simply ask the simplest & most basic of adult queries of belief systems:

Provide a cite proving Android does what Apple is drunk on doing, which is
that, always !AFTER A PRODUCT SHIPS!, Apple then, after the product ships,
they secretly, drastically, & permanently throttle...
o CPU
o Modem
o Charging
All instituted secretly, AFTER the product initially shipped!

Name just one cite showing Android manufacturer that secretly, drastically,
& permanently throttles CPU, Modem, and Charging speeds AFTER they ship!

Name just one.

Arlen _G_ Holder

Oct 7, 2019, 10:43:56 AM10/7/19
On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 12:01:21 -0000 (UTC), Arlen _G_ Holder wrote:

> I'm just curious if there is _any_ Android manufacturer who does this.

Here's an example of what Apple does, that I'm asking about for Android.
o This news is from yesterday - but Apple does this secret throttling all
the time, AFTER the product ships!

o Apple secretly throttles charging speeds - your money is now wasted
<https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/10/06/apple-ios-13-problem-iphone-wireless-charging-upgrade-iphone-11-pro-max-update/#39663120eef5>

"ChargerLab has revealed that Apple is quietly slashing the performance
of third-party wireless chargers for iPhones running iOS 13. Moreover,
there┬ currently no guidance for manufacturers to avoid this so owners who
have paid for expensive fast wireless chargers may find their money has
been wasted."

But it's not just charger speeds Apple throttles, where the pattern is
o It's secret (hence, always sneaky business practices)
o It's implemented AFTER the product ships (except in modems)
o It's PERMANENT (we're not talking something you can get around)
o It's DRASTIC (we're talking HALF the original claimed CPU speeds!)

"For example, an iPhone 11 running iOS 13 would wirelessly charge to 80%
in two hours but after installing iOS 13.1 it only achieved a charge of 55%
in the same time period. That┬ woefully slow."

"The downgrade still exists in iOS 13.1.2 and, despite no official
explanation from Apple, AppleInsider learned from a source within the
company that the change is deliberate."

"Manufacturers, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Apple has yet
to give them any specific direction. Also, that they have discovered being
fully compliant with Qi certification requirements does not appear to
guarantee their products will avoid the 5W cap."

What does Apple secretly throttle?
o CPUs
o Modems
o Chargers

What else?
o I don't know as Apple does this secretly, AFTER a product ships.

My question is whether ANY Android manufacturers do this secret permanent and drastic throttling.
o If so, simply provide a cite from whence your belief system is based upon.

Yousuf Khan

Oct 7, 2019, 11:48:49 AM10/7/19
I think pretty much all of them do it.

nospam

Oct 7, 2019, 1:40:56 PM10/7/19
In article <qnfgkp$tum$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen _G_ Holder
<_arlen....@halder.edu> wrote:

> 1. Name just one cite for:
> Android manufacturers who secretly drastically permanently throttle CPUs.

samsung, who was fined for doing so.

<https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/oct/24/apple-samsung-fined-
for-slowing-down-phones>
Apple and Samsung are being fined ¤10m and ¤5m respectively in Italy
for the ³planned obsolescence² of their smartphones.

samsung also thermally throttles:
<https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-s6-s6-edge,4157-10.
html>
...The S6 edge holds the battery temperature to 30 ºC, causing
some additional thermal throttling, lowering performance and
extending battery life.

and anything that uses a snapdragon 810 has serious thermal throttling
issues as well:
<https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/in-depth-with-the-snapdragon-81
0s-heat-problems/>
After a long string of successful flagships, the Snapdragon 810 has
been a bit of a disappointment. At its best, it can be faster than
the Snapdragon 800, 801, and 805 chips that it¹s replacing. But
the two 810-equipped phones we¹ve used‹HTC¹s One M9 and
LG¹s G Flex 2‹have definitely run hot, and performance slows
down quickly as you use the phone.
In short, chips throttle, but the 810 throttles more than most, and
it's severe enough that the 810 is actually slower than the 801 or
805 in some CPU-bound tasks over the long haul. The Exynos 7
Octa, which has similar specs on paper, is much better in practice.

Arlen _G_ Holder

Oct 7, 2019, 1:44:15 PM10/7/19
On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 11:48:44 -0400, Yousuf Khan wrote:

> I think pretty much all of them do it.

When people don't have even a single cite bolstering their belief system...
o It's fantasy
o It's make believe
o It's marketing
etc.

Adults are supposed to have a logical reason for their belief system.

All this thread asks is for any FACTS that show whether Android makers...
o Permanently drastically & secretly throttle CPU speeds
o Permanently drastically & secretly modem speeds
o Permanently drastically & secretly throttle PD charging speeds

Which are all known facts for EXISTING Apple marketing practices,
usually, secretly done well AFTER the product has already shipped (& gone
through initial reviews, which is clearly a clever part of the Apple
strategy, obviously).

While children often believe in mere fantasies (e.g., Santa Claus)...
o Adults are supposed to own a belief system based on factual reality

It's easy to market to children the concept of Santa Claus
o But it should be much harder to market the fantasy to actual adults.

Simply because adults are supposed to comprehend facts
o And simply because adults form logical assessments of those facts

If anyone believes they have a fact showing Android makers do this:
o Name just one

Arlen _G_ Holder

Oct 7, 2019, 3:08:35 PM10/7/19
On Mon, 07 Oct 2019 13:40:54 -0400, nospam wrote:

> samsung, who was fined for doing so.

Hi nospam,

Hehhehheh... I knew you'd bring that bullshit up, nospam,
o Simply because you _always_ bring that BS up (it's all you have)
o Where, of course, you don't realize it's completely different.

What Apple did, nospam, was:
o Roll out an iOS update that cam PERMANEWNTLY throttle the iPhone 6 and 7
o Later Apple rolled out an update that did the same to the iPhone 8 & X
o Still later, Apple did it again, for the iPhone XS, XS Max, & XR
o And, rumor says the _new_ iPhone 11 series will get it (time will tell)

Read the news, nospam... the difference with Samsung is night & day.
o Apple _continues_ to permanently, drastically throttle iPhones
o Although they do so (very quietly), if not actually secretly.

Just read the news, nospam, for the facts.

o Apple will throttle last year's iPhones after all
o It previously said the 2017 iPhones would be safe from throttling due to upgraded hardware.
<https://www.engadget.com/2018/11/01/apple-iphone-x-battery-throttling/>
"Despite apologies, updates, and a $5.7 million fine in Italy, Apple's
Batterygate woes refuse to go away. The tech giant previously told Congress
there was no need to throttle last year's iPhones to preserve battery due
to their advanced hardware, but it's now changed tack. With the release of
iOS 12.1, the controversial feature is finding its way on to the iPhone 8,
8 Plus, and iPhone X after all."

The fact is Apple _continues_ to throttle the newer iPhones, nospam:
o Apple Just Can't Stop Throttling iPhones
<https://gizmodo.com/apple-just-cant-stop-throttling-iphones-1830124291>

Read the more recent news, nospam, showing Apple won't stop throttling!
o iOS 13.1 will bring processor throttling to the iPhone XS and iPhone XR
<https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/apple-ios-13-1-iphone-xs-processor-throttling/>

There are even rumors that Apple is so drunk on this throttling,
o That they plan on adding it to the _new_ iPhone 11, nospam!

o iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro include new hardware to limit performance
<https://9to5mac.com/2019/09/20/iphone-11-and-iphone-11-pro-include-new-hardware-to-limit-performance-impact-as-battery-health-degrades/>

What Samsung was accused of is completly DIFFERENT than what Apple did.
"Samsung rolled out a Marshmallow update to the Note 4 in 2016,
but the software was originally developed with the Note 7 in mind."
<https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/10/24/samsung-fined-italy-forcing-phone-slowing-updates-users/>

Not only does Samsung not REPEATEDLY repeat that situation, but also
Samsung appealed to the Autorità Garante della Concorrenza e del Mercato,
where I don't have information on the current results of that appeal.
<https://en.agcm.it/en/media/detail?id=385e274c-8dc3-4911-9b8c-9771c854193a&parent=Press%20Releases&parentUrl=/en/media/press-releases>

Do you?

> <https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/oct/24/apple-samsung-fined-
> for-slowing-down-phones>

The fact you don't comprehend facts doesn't change that they're facts.

Your own quote clearly says what Samsung's appeal is based upon:
"Samsung did not issue any software update that reduced the
Galaxy Note 4’s performance."

Apple did.

Moreover, Samsung does not REPEATEDLY make the same mistake.
o Apple does.

Given the fact that Samsung appealed that ruling, I can't find ANYTHING on
that Italian web site that shows the RESULTS of that legal appeal.

In the quest for actual facts, does someone here know Italian?

Can you find the RESULTS of that appeal in the Italian section?
<https://www.agcm.it/ricerca-avanzata-provvedimenti>

I can't find anything of the RESULTS of that appeal in the EN section:
<https://en.agcm.it/en/>

Given the two situations are completely different, it behooves us, as
adults, to KNOW the factual results of Samsung's appeal.

Even so, the situations are completely different:
o Apple CONTINUES to issue throttling software to new iPhones
o Samsung does not.

> samsung also thermally throttles:
> <https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-s6-s6-edge,4157-10.
> html>

Hehhehheh...

Every time you post that - you prove that you're an utter idiot, nospam.
<https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-s6-s6-edge,4157-10.html>

It's amazing how you fail to comprehend even the simplest of facts, nospam.

Just like you failed to comprehend the difference between
o Megabits per second (at any given time), and,
o Decibels of power (at any given time).

You fail to comprehend a concept of something as simple as
o Temperature (at any given time goes up, and then back down).
o Whereas "battery age" does not.

Battery age just gets worse.

That you fail to comprehend the _simplest_ of facts nospam,
o Is likely why it's so easy to show your belief system is imaginary.

Astoundingly, just as it was with the decibels versus megabits,
you repeatedly do not seem to comprehend even the simplest of very simple
metrics, nospam.

Apple CPU throttling does not "just go away" in a few cool down minutes.
o Apple CPU throttling is forever, nospam.

Apple CPU throttling is PERMANENT nospam (and drastic).
o There is no battery fairy, nospam.

This 2 degree thermal cutoff difference between 30 and 32 degrees is NOT
even remotely similar to the Apple secret, permanent, and drastic CPU
throttling, nospam...
o By any stretch of your wild imagination.

With the iPhone, it's PERMANENT, DRASTIC, and (it was) SECRET!

On an iPhone, there's NOTHING you can do about it -
o Other than replace the device battery after "about a year"
o Or, accept unacceptable stability forever (which only gets worse)

It's not even close to the same thing, nospam.
o When all you have to do is let the Samsung battery cool 2 degrees.

That you repeatedly claim what you claim about battery temperature
o Merely proves that you own the cognitive skills of a moron, nospam.

The fact you don't comprehend facts doesn't change that they're facts.

> and anything that uses a snapdragon 810 has serious thermal throttling
> issues as well:
> <https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/in-depth-with-the-snapdragon-81
> 0s-heat-problems/>

Hehhehheh... you have no clue how stupid you easily prove to be, nospam.

Again, the fact you don't comprehend even SIMPLE metrics, is scary:
<https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/in-depth-with-the-snapdragon-810s-heat-problems/>

Heat, nospam.
o Do you even comprehend what heat is, nospam?

Really?
o You have absolutely no clue that phones heat up and then ... guess what?

Phones cool down, nospam.
o Heat isn't permanent, nospam - like the Apple CPU throttling is.

The fact you can't find a _single_ site that bolsters your belief system
o Tells us all we need to know about your belief system nospam.

To date, there are ZERO reliable cites showing Android makers
o Secretly, permanently, & drastically reduced CPU speeds
o Secretly, permanently, & drastically reduced modem speeds
o Secretly, permanently, & drastically reduced PD charging speeds

Only Apple does that.

--
Note: We do need facts on the result of Samsung's Italian appeal.
If you can find those facts - it would be noteworthy for this thread.

sms

Oct 7, 2019, 3:23:23 PM10/7/19
I think that pretty much everyone will throttle the CPU in the event of
over-temperature conditions. On some phones they simply shut down
completely instead, I had an LG phone like that.

However I don't think that any other manufacturer throttled based on the
ability of the battery to deliver sufficient power simply because the
hardware didn't ever require such throttling. The Apple processors have
been significantly higher performance, and hence require higher
instantaneous peak power, than the processors used in other flagships.
You can see this by comparing the multi-core performance tests, see
<https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks#multi-core> and
<https://browser.geekbench.com/android_devices/392#family-multicore>.
Processor performance has been a big selling point of iOS devices
compared to Android devices.

"Basically, iPhones were hitting peaks of processor power that the
battery was unable to power and the phones were shutting off"
<https://www.macrumors.com/2017/12/20/apple-addresses-iphone-throttling-degraded-battery/>.
Well technically it was not just the battery, it was a combination of a
slightly degraded battery and power circuitry unable to compensate.

Even though the potential for throttling is still present on newer
iPhones there have been no reports of it actually occurring, thanks to
hardware improvements that obviate the need for doing so. As Apple
stated: “iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X models include hardware
updates that allow a more advanced performance management system that
more precisely allows iOS to anticipate and avoid an unexpected
shutdown”
<https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/2/6/16979288/iphone-8-x-hardware-improvements-battery-throttling>.

Beginning with the the iPhone 8, they redesigned the power management
circuitry and added a third Dialog PMIC which should be able to provide
sufficient power even when the CPU performance is maxed out: "Compared
to the iPhone 7, there is one more PMIC component from Dialog in the
iPhone 8 Plus"
<https://www.techinsights.com/blog/apple-iphone-8-plus-teardown>.

On older iPhones, the most succinct and accurate explanation was this
one: "the battery isn’t able to maintain a high enough voltage for the
PMIC to reliably be able to use as a source"
<https://mjtsai.com/blog/2017/12/22/apple-confirms-that-it-throttles-iphones-with-degraded-batteries/>."
It wasn't a defective battery that caused the need for throttling, it
was that the PMIC couldn't deal with a battery that was degraded, but
still functional. The battery replacement was a workaround, but the
battery wasn't the root cause of the issue.

For the modem, they felt that they had to throttle the Qualcomm modem
models of the iPhone 7, 8, and X to ensure that the Intel modem models
didn't have slower LTE speeds
<https://appleinsider.com/articles/16/11/18/apple-confirmed-limiting-iphone-7-qualcomm-modem-to-keep-performance-on-par-with-intel-chip>.

For the Xs models, the performance of the Intel modem, versus the
performance of the Qualcomm modems in competing flagships, was slightly
worse, 10-15% slower, but not enough to worry about
<https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/intel-modems-iphone-xs-slower-than-qualcomm/>.

No idea where the claim of throttled PD charging speeds came from.
There's no evidence of this that I could find. See
<https://www.chargerlab.com/iphone-11-pro-max-charging-test/>. The
iPhone 11 consistently charges at around 22-23 watts. The Samsung Galaxy
Note 10 (non-pro) charges at 25 watts. Only the Note 10 Pro supports 45
watt charging
<https://www.tomsguide.com/reference/your-galaxy-note-10-fast-charging-questions-answered>.

What is true about charging is that iOS 13 is designed to maximize
battery life by charging only to 80%, "In iOS 13, a new charging
algorithm will keep your iPhone at 80% when charging overnight. That
algorithm will determine when you typically wake up and start the day,
and restart the charging sequence to give you fully charged battery when
you wake up"
<https://www.howtogeek.com/423451/how-ios-13-will-protect-your-iphones-battery-by-charging-to-80/>.

So in short, some of what our favorite nymshifter has stated had some
validity in the past, but not any more. In summary, the facts are this:

o No reports of throttling for the iPhone 8, X, Xr, Xs, or Xs Max. It's
not impossible for this to occur since the capability is still part of
iOS, but it's much less likely than in the past and no one has reported
it actually occurring.

o No modem throttling on the Xr, Xs, or Xs Max because they all use the
Intel modem. This was an issue only with the iPhone 7, 8, and X where
they didn't want the AT&T and T-Mobile versions with the Intel modem to
appear slower than the Verizon and Sprint and unlocked versions with the
Qualcomm modem. And the Intel modem in the Xr, Xs, and Xs Max is only
slightly slower than Qualcomm LTE modems. No reports of the iPhone 11
LTE speeds yet, but there's unlikely to be much of difference compared
to the Xr, Xs, and Xs Max.

o PD charging of the iPhone 11 is around 22-23 watts with 30W and up PD
chargers, which is about the same as what you see on other flagship
phones (with the exception of the very high-end large screen phones
(Note 10 Plus and Huawei P30 Pro)).

Arlen _G_ Holder

Oct 7, 2019, 4:59:55 PM10/7/19
On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 12:23:19 -0700, sms wrote:

> I think that pretty much everyone will throttle the CPU in the event of
> over-temperature conditions. On some phones they simply shut down
> completely instead, I had an LG phone like that.

Hi Steve,
Some of your statements below I easily proved are complete bullshit.
o Other statements you made, were perfectly reasonable.

As you noted, temperature throttling is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than
o Battery age based throttling

Only people like nospam would equate the two.

Why?
o I don't know why.

I think nospam can't comprehend these are completely different metrics:
o Temporary CPU throttling due to transient battery over temperature
o Permanent CPU throttling due to permanent & ever older battery age

> However I don't think that any other manufacturer throttled based on the
> ability of the battery to deliver sufficient power simply because the
> hardware didn't ever require such throttling. The Apple processors have
> been significantly higher performance, and hence require higher
> instantaneous peak power, than the processors used in other flagships.

This is a reasonable adult assertion, Steve.

> You can see this by comparing the multi-core performance tests, see
> <https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks#multi-core> and
> <https://browser.geekbench.com/android_devices/392#family-multicore>.
> Processor performance has been a big selling point of iOS devices
> compared to Android devices.

Steve ... as any adult would be aware...
o The only valid benchmark is an apples to apples benchmark.

The fact is all benchmarks on new Apple iPhones are bullshit, Steve.
o if "as new" iPhone benchmarks are used to compare to Android devices.

You have to keep in mind that Apple PERMANTLY, & DRASTICALLY throttles that
initially high iPhone performance, well AFTER THE PRODUCT SHIPS (sometimes
secretly so).

Hence, the only reasonable adult assessment is that those "initial"
benchmarks are not valid for comparison to Android phones.

It's not an apples to apples comparison, Steve.
o And you know that.

All those iPhone benchmarks, when used to compare to Android phones, are,
in essence, complete bullshit, Steve (except to show, as you astutely
noted, that _before_ Apple mandatory throttling kicks in, the iPhone, by
(poor) design, expects a LOT of peak power to come from the battery).

Which is your point, and which I agree, where to put both points together:
o Apple iPhones tend to ask for more peak power from the battery
o Such that Apple throttles iPhones after "about a year".

Since Android makers do NOT do that, all those "as new" iPhone benchmarks
o Are bullshit - if they're used to compare with Android devices.

As a comparison to only Apple devices - those benchmarks are fine
o But they are total bullshit when used to compare to Android devices.

I know you know this Steve - but the reader at large may not.

> "Basically, iPhones were hitting peaks of processor power that the
> battery was unable to power and the phones were shutting off"
> <https://www.macrumors.com/2017/12/20/apple-addresses-iphone-throttling-degraded-battery/>.
> Well technically it was not just the battery, it was a combination of a
> slightly degraded battery and power circuitry unable to compensate.

Exactly.

It was a poor iPhone design that was so bad, that Apple was compelled to
feel the intense need to not only surreptitiously secretly throttle CPUs,
but, after being caught, Apple literally modified the release notes after
the fact (which Tim Cook was caught lying about), and where Apple
essentially also lied to Congress in February about by saying, ala "I
didn't inhale", that throttling wasn't "as" necessary on the iPhone 8 and
iPhone X.

And yet ... it was there on the iPhone X by October 31st of that same year!

In fact, _all_ iPhones, up to and including the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max,
and iPhone XR, currently have the CPU throttling software (as you're aware
Steve - where I note this for those who aren't as aware of the facts - like
nospam and the other apologists).

> Even though the potential for throttling is still present on newer
> iPhones there have been no reports of it actually occurring, thanks to
> hardware improvements that obviate the need for doing so.

It isn't "as necessary" ... according to Apple...
o And yet, it's there.

> As Apple
> stated: ´iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X models include hardware
> updates that allow a more advanced performance management system that
> more precisely allows iOS to anticipate and avoid an unexpected
> shutdown¡
> <https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/2/6/16979288/iphone-8-x-hardware-improvements-battery-throttling>.

And yet, it's there.

In addition, Apple added PERMANENT drastic modem throttling, Steve.
o And Apple added permanent drastic PD charging speed throttling, Steve.

And that's on the very _latest_ iPhone 11 series, Steve.
o Where that secret throttling happened AFTER the iPhone 11 debuted!

> Beginning with the the iPhone 8, they redesigned the power management
> circuitry and added a third Dialog PMIC which should be able to provide
> sufficient power even when the CPU performance is maxed out: "Compared
> to the iPhone 7, there is one more PMIC component from Dialog in the
> iPhone 8 Plus"
> <https://www.techinsights.com/blog/apple-iphone-8-plus-teardown>.

Steve,
Why does no other manufacturer other than Apple _need_ this throttling?
o And why don't a lot of the iPads NOT need this secret throttling?

HINT: I know why - where the answer is simple (and obvious)...
o I ask that question so that others can begin to comprehend why.

> On older iPhones, the most succinct and accurate explanation was this
> one: "the battery isnÿt able to maintain a high enough voltage for the
Exactly.
o Poor design of _all_ the iPhones, from the iPhone 6 to the iPhone XS Max.

> It wasn't a defective battery that caused the need for throttling, it
> was that the PMIC couldn't deal with a battery that was degraded, but
> still functional. The battery replacement was a workaround, but the
> battery wasn't the root cause of the issue.

Exactly.

You, Steve, comprehend facts that the apologists will _never_ comprehend.
o Worse, you understand the ramifications of this being a permanent flaw.

This permanent design flaw just gets worse, as the battery ages.
o HINT: There is no battery fairy.

For nospam to liken this to temporary temperature effects
o Simply shows either that nospam has absolutely no comprehension of fact
o Or, nospam is trying to bullshit us

Where the only ones who fall for his bullshit
o Are the apologists, themselves.

Why do the apologists fall for this bullshit?
o I don't know why.

I think they don't comprehend facts
o Such that facts fly in the face of what Apple marketing feeds them.

> For the modem, they felt that they had to throttle the Qualcomm modem
> models of the iPhone 7, 8, and X to ensure that the Intel modem models
> didn't have slower LTE speeds
> <https://appleinsider.com/articles/16/11/18/apple-confirmed-limiting-iphone-7-qualcomm-modem-to-keep-performance-on-par-with-intel-chip>.

Again, this is a true adult assessment of the facts as we know them.
o Adults generally have no problem agreeing to logical reasoning

We discussed WHY Apple felt the intense need to throttle communication
speeds on the iPhone, where the only logical explanation is the one you
gave.

No Android manufacturer that we know of has ever felt that same intense
need to permanently artificially throttle the modem communication speeds.

Have they?

> For the Xs models, the performance of the Intel modem, versus the
> performance of the Qualcomm modems in competing flagships, was slightly
> worse, 10-15% slower, but not enough to worry about
> <https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/intel-modems-iphone-xs-slower-than-qualcomm/>.

Actually, it is a LOT worse when it matters (e.g., at low signal strength).
<https://cdn.cultofmac.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/band4test.png>

o iPhone 7 models with Intel inside suffer from slower LTE speeds
<https://www.cultofmac.com/450212/iphone-7-devices-slower-lte-speeds-thanks-intel/>
"A new study found performance differences between the Intel and Qualcomm
modems used in the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus that can result in a serious
dip in data speeds when owners encounter a weak signal."

Similar situations happen quite a lot with Apple iPhones, by the way:

o For Better Cell Signal, Buy the A1865 Model of the iPhone X
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/x_PUMpSi-5Y/H7PKhArqBQAJ>

> No idea where the claim of throttled PD charging speeds came from.

Steve,

Have I ever been materially wrong - even once - on facts?

You know I never bullshit - where my credibility is stellar, Steve.
o Remember you questioned my facts on the Qualcomm royalty results?

You never admitted you were dead wrong - but the facts clearly showed what
I said is exactly what happened. Apple is paying $115% (which is more).
o That's a fact.

Same here.
o Worse - it was reported MULTIPLE TIMES in the Apple ng's you frequent!

o iPhone 11 Pro Max Charging Test report by Charger Lab on iOS 13.0 versus iOS 13.1 (throttling surprise!)
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/GUqM0QV1vhM>

To save you (and others) time and effort, just read this one report:
o iOS 13.1 Cuts Fast Charging Support to Multiple Wireless Chargers
<https://www.chargerlab.com/ios-13-1-cuts-fast-charging-support-to-multiple-wireless-chargers/>

But even Forbes reported on it just yesterday, Steve.
<https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/10/06/apple-ios-13-problem-iphone-wireless-charging-upgrade-iphone-11-pro-max-update/>
"ChargerLab has revealed that Apple is quietly slashing the performance
of third-party wireless chargers for iPhones running iOS 13."

By now you should comprehend that I bring TRUTH to this newsgroup
o One (well-verified) fact at a time.

It's what adults do.

> There's no evidence of this that I could find. See
> <https://www.chargerlab.com/iphone-11-pro-max-charging-test/>. The
> iPhone 11 consistently charges at around 22-23 watts. The Samsung Galaxy
> Note 10 (non-pro) charges at 25 watts. Only the Note 10 Pro supports 45
> watt charging
> <https://www.tomsguide.com/reference/your-galaxy-note-10-fast-charging-questions-answered>.

Steve,
Did you even _read_ cites I _already_ provided LONG AGO in the Apple ng?
"What ChargerLab found specifically was that with the launch of iOS 13.1
many third-party wireless chargers rated at Appleÿs 7.5W maximum wireless
charging speeds were now operating at 5W. As you might expect, this
lengthened wireless charging times substantially. For example, an iPhone 11
running iOS 13 would wirelessly charge to 80% in two hours but after
installing iOS 13.1 it only achieved a charge of 55% in the same time
period. Thatÿs woefully slow."

Do you comprehend that this is AIMED at 3rd-party non-Apple chargers?
"The downgrade still exists in iOS 13.1.2 and, despite no official
explanation from Apple, AppleInsider learned from a source within the
company that the change is deliberate."

Notice, in effect, Apple throttles the performance of 3rd party chargers,
and they did so, secretly, AFTER the iPhone 11 shipped!

"Manufacturers, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Apple has yet
to give them any specific direction. Also, that they have discovered being
fully compliant with Qi certification requirements does not appear to
guarantee their products will avoid the 5W cap."

> What is true about charging is that iOS 13 is designed to maximize
> battery life by charging only to 80%, "In iOS 13, a new charging
> algorithm will keep your iPhone at 80% when charging overnight. That
> algorithm will determine when you typically wake up and start the day,
> and restart the charging sequence to give you fully charged battery when
> you wake up"
> <https://www.howtogeek.com/423451/how-ios-13-will-protect-your-iphones-battery-by-charging-to-80/>.

That's a different issue - where it's clear that Apple secretly (aka
"quietly", reduced the charging performance of 3rd-party chargers, where,
it's clear, that Apple did it deliberately AFTER the iPhone 11 shipped such
that the Charger Lab report clearly showed a HUGE degradation in charging
performance between iOS 13 releases.
"In the meantime, the companyÿs silence is concerning."
<https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/10/06/apple-ios-13-problem-iphone-wireless-charging-upgrade-iphone-11-pro-max-update/>

> So in short, some of what our favorite nymshifter has stated had some
> validity in the past, but not any more. In summary, the facts are this:

Bullshit Steve.

Just like you tried to bullshit us on Apple resale values
o You just tried to bullshit us that the charging speeds aren't reduced.

The fact you don't comprehend facts, Steve - does NOT make them not facts.

Either retract your bullshit Steve - or that's one more indication you
bullshit simply when you are not apprised of the facts.

I don't bullshit Steve.
o You bullshit.

I don't.

> o No reports of throttling for the iPhone 8, X, Xr, Xs, or Xs Max. It's
> not impossible for this to occur since the capability is still part of
> iOS, but it's much less likely than in the past and no one has reported
> it actually occurring.

Play your silly childish games Steve.

o The fact is Apple felt a compelling need to ADD THE THROTTLING SOFTWARE
to all iPhones from the iPhone 6 to the iPhone X to the iPhone XS Max.

Name just one Android manufacturer who has done that, Steve.
o Name just one.

> o No modem throttling on the Xr, Xs, or Xs Max because they all use the
> Intel modem. This was an issue only with the iPhone 7, 8, and X where
> they didn't want the AT&T and T-Mobile versions with the Intel modem to
> appear slower than the Verizon and Sprint and unlocked versions with the
> Qualcomm modem.

Play your silly games Steve.
o Nobody said _all_ the iPhones modems were throttled.

Yet, you can't name a _single_ Android manufacturer who throttled them!

You failed (again) the simplest test of imaginary belief systems, Steve:
o Name just one

> And the Intel modem in the Xr, Xs, and Xs Max is only
> slightly slower than Qualcomm LTE modems. No reports of the iPhone 11
> LTE speeds yet, but there's unlikely to be much of difference compared
> to the Xr, Xs, and Xs Max.

Bullshit Steve.
It's a LOT slower when it really matters (i.e., low signal strength).
<https://cdn.cultofmac.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/band4test.png>

Repeatedly, you don't seem to comprehend details - when they matter.
o The fact you don't comprehend facts, Steve, doesn't make them not facts.

> o PD charging of the iPhone 11 is around 22-23 watts with 30W and up PD
> chargers, which is about the same as what you see on other flagship
> phones (with the exception of the very high-end large screen phones
> (Note 10 Plus and Huawei P30 Pro)).

The fact is clear:
o Apple throttled 3rd-party charging speeds secretly in a recent release.
o This was done AFTER the iPhone 11 shipped
o Nobody knows why (Apple bullshit doesn't stand up yet to facts).

In summary Steve, you tried to bullshit us on the Apple PD throttling.
You also tried to bullshit us on the extent of the Apple modem throttling.
You were correct though, in what you said about the Apple CPU throttling.

The fact remains that no Android manufacturer throttles these things.
o Only Apple does.

--
Bringing TRUTH to this newsgroup - one fact at a time.

nospam

Oct 7, 2019, 5:13:08 PM10/7/19
In article <qng3b9$eoa$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> >> I'm just curious if there is _any_ Android manufacturer who does this.
> >>

> > I think pretty much all of them do it.
>
> I think that pretty much everyone will throttle the CPU in the event of
> over-temperature conditions. On some phones they simply shut down
> completely instead, I had an LG phone like that.

any shutdown would be sudden and unexpected, risking data loss.

> However I don't think that any other manufacturer throttled based on the
> ability of the battery to deliver sufficient power simply because the
> hardware didn't ever require such throttling.

the phones that didn't risk a sudden shutdown, and if it happens during
boot, it ends up in a boot loop.

some are eligible for reimbursement:
<https://www.classlawgroup.com/nexus-6p-bootloop/>
Girard Gibbs, now Gibbs Law Group and Girard Sharp, filed a Nexus
6P class action lawsuit alleging that Nexus 6P smartphones suffer
from a defect that manifests in two ways: (1) an endless bootloop
cycle that makes the phone inoperable; and (2) accelerated battery
drain that causes premature shut down.

A class action settlement has been reached with Google and Huawei.
The $9.75 million Nexus 6P settlement provides eligible class members
with between $5 and $400, depending on the defect they experienced
and whether they have documentation.

Arlen _G_ Holder

Oct 7, 2019, 5:30:39 PM10/7/19
On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 20:59:55 -0000 (UTC), Arlen _G_ Holder wrote:

> You know I never bullshit - where my credibility is stellar, Steve.
> o Remember you questioned my facts on the Qualcomm royalty results?
>
> You never admitted you were dead wrong - but the facts clearly showed what
> I said is exactly what happened. Apple is paying $115% (which is more).
> o That's a fact.

Since my credibility on Usenet, on fact, is stellar,
o I post a correction... about that 115%.

That was supposed to be 113% more ...
o Where I am not afraid to bring TRUTH to this newsgroup
o One fact at a time.

I'm expecting Steve Sharf, the mayor of Cupertino (AFAIK), to be a man.
o And own up to his public statements in this thread.

FACT 1:
o Adults can easily admit when they're wrong - but not you, Steve.

Cite:
o wrong, by badgolferman
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/BjiM9DsVXj8/iqurJBJnBwAJ>

FACT 2:
o You claim I'm 60% correct on material facts - & yet - you're dead wrong.

Cite:
o Steve claims Arlen is only 60% correct where Arlen is 100% correct on material facts
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/u7yQ959XPRU/a9jvGbXfAwAJ>

Clearly, I am adult enough to admit any mistakes in facts (see the cites
before you claim otherwise, Steve) - and - I am adult enough to be correct
on the material facts I do state, Steve (again, see the cites).

Let's see, Steve, if you're adult enough to:
o Admit you were dead wrong on your claim about my claim on PD throttling.

--
Never yet have I seen Steve to be adult enough to admit when he's wrong.

Arlen _G_ Holder

Oct 14, 2019, 6:12:36 PM10/14/19
On Mon, 07 Oct 2019 17:13:08 -0400, nospam wrote:

> the phones that didn't risk a sudden shutdown, and if it happens during
> boot, it ends up in a boot loop.

It's pretty clear the FACTUAL answer to the question posed in this thread.

Only Apple secretly, permanently, and drastically throttles phone...
o CPUs
o Modems (this wasn't secret, but it's still permanent & drastic)
o Chargers

All done _after_ the product ships!
o Apple is figuratively drunk on reducing functionality _AFTER_ product
ships.

From this morning's news, Apple is secretly "mysteriously downgrading your
accessories and making your repairs come back to haunt you"
<https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/10/13/apple-ios-13-1-2-phone-calls-dropping-iphone-11-pro-max-update-iphone-xs-max-xr-upgrade/>

The point is that Apple is consistently & repeatedly reducing functionality
o Drastically, permanently, and almost always secretly
o AFTER the phone ships!

--
Bringing adult logical thought processes, with facts, to mobile newsgroups.

Arlen _G_ Holder

Oct 14, 2019, 6:24:38 PM10/14/19
On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 22:12:36 -0000 (UTC), Arlen _G_ Holder wrote:

> All done _after_ the product ships!

Ooops. Since I care about my credibility on material fact...

All but the _modem_ are *throttled AFTER Apple product ships*.
o The Qualcomm modems in iPhones are throttled _before_ the product ships.

Apple is (figuratively) drunk on reducing performance AFTER product ships!

o Apple secretly drastically throttled chargers
of third-party wireless chargers for iPhones running iOS 13. Moreover,
there's currently no guidance for manufacturers to avoid this so owners who
have paid for expensive fast wireless chargers may find their money has
been wasted."

o Apple Announces Display Repair Warnings For New iPhones
<https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/09/28/apple-iphone-11-pro-max-upgrade-display-battery-iphone-xs-max-xr-update/>
"Apple has published a new support document entitled ,bout genuine
iPhone displays in which it confirms new warnings will be issued to buyers
of the iPhone 11 (guide), iPhone 11 Pro (guide) and iPhone 11 Pro Max
(guide) if they don't use an official Apple certified technician to repair
or replace a damaged display. And this could have serious financial
implications. "

"even if a genuine Apple display is used by your repairer, you will
receive the warning message if the technician didn't purchase their tools
from Apple."

"As you might expect, Apple tools are significantly more expensive than
third-party ones which push up running costs and, in turn, push up prices
for the customer."

o Apple Warned iPhones Have A 'User Hostile' Battery Problem
<https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/08/09/apple-iphone-xs-max-xr-upgrade-battery-problem-cost-iphone-11-update/>
"Acclaimed repair and teardown specialist iFixit, has discovered that
Apple is activating secret software inside the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max and
iPhone XR which sends users warnings and disables features if they try to
replace their batteries anywhere other than an Apple Store."

"But here's the kicker: users receive the same message even if a genuine
Apple battery was fitted."

"Apple has modified a commonly used Texas Instruments microcontroller
(which typically reports battery capacity, temperature and charge) to make
it work as an authentication device. The chip pairs the battery to the
iPhone's logic board with a unique authentication key and unless you have
it, even authentic batteries working perfectly will be flagged as a
problem."

"Quite correctly, iFixit labels the whole thing a "User-Hostile Choice"
and it isn't the first time Apple has taken such measures"

--
Bringing truth & facts along with sensible logic to mobile phone ngs.

Arlen Holder

Jul 3, 2020, 8:53:20 AM7/3/20
On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 03:22:01 -0400, JF Mezei wrote:

> You have gone one for quite some time about iPhone throttling its CPU.
>
> Suggest you watch this video from Linus Tech Tips on efforts to avoid
> throttling on Android phones.
>
> https://youtu.be/78dHkn1O1EM

Hi JF Mezei,

Regarding your thread moments ago...
o *To Arlen on Photo [sic] Throttling* [probably meant "CPU" throttling]
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/6sjJL3sxDxA>

This is long because you're an adult... so you can handle complexity.
o As I have studied not only Apple apologists, but also Apple iPhone owners

HINT: As you're aware, I ask _everyone_ I see with an iPhone _why_ they
own it, just as I ask at the gas pump why people are putting Premium
in a Honda Civic, and what I almost always get as an answer is that
they're completely bamboozled by MARKETING messages to the point that
they lost the ability to think independently of what MARKETING fed them.
o *Why are Apple Mac users so easily bamboozled by Apple MARKETING*
*bullshit regarding "Apple Silicon" which is, in fact, TSMC silicon*
*with licensed ARM technology*
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.mac.system/1GSxfEdrL6k>

While it's well known I purchase plenty of Apple products (many as gifts),
I do realize most Apple owners hate facts about Apple products, simply
because they're supremely blinded to the facts by (rather clever) Apple
MARKETING...
o *What to tell Apple Apologists who claim anyone who speaks facts is*
*"down on Apple" (i.e., they conflict with Apple Marketing)?*
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/z7HCl4tm71E>

So it's not really your fault that you can't see what everyone else can
clearly see, since Apple MARKETING is one of the finest on this planet:
o *What is the most brilliant marketing move Apple ever made?*
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/wW-fu0jsvAU>

However, given you're not an apologist, a normal adult conversation can
ensue, simply because you're not hell bent on claiming all facts about
Apple are "lies by liars" (ala Alan Baker), & you don't refute obvious
facts simply because you don't like them (ala Joerg Lorenz), & you don't
brazenly fabricate imaginary functionality that simply never existed (ala
Jolly Roger), and you don't incessantly play silly childish semantic
games around facts in the vogue of "he didn't inhale" (ala nospam), etc.
o *Apple throttled your iPhone by cutting its speed almost in HALF!*
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/l79Xb6qx8Fs>

No adult conversation is possible with those apologists, so what you're
mostly reacting to, I suspect, is the fact I have to drop down to their
level whenever I need to deal with the three types of known apologists:
o Type I apologists, like nospam, always parrot Apple MARKETING messages
o Type II apologists, like Andreas Rutishauser simply ignore basic facts
o Type III apologists, like BK, actually _believe_ what Apple feeds them

Please notice that my reaction to those apologists is dumbed down like you
can't believe, simply because _they_ don't have the cognitive abilities to
comprehend anything but the simplest messaging.

(Actually, nospam _has_ the adult cognitive skills; but he pretends to be
an ignorant parrot of Apple MARKETING for reasons only known to him), so
even nospam, in effects, requires dumbed-down messaging.

Hence, whenever these apologists "claim" Apple has made the best-in-class
smartphone CPUs, I simply remind them of the unpatchable flaws in almost
all of them, and of the fact Apple admitted to the criminal offense of
secretly throttling them in order to decrease the life of the device, and,
worse, in _every_ iOS release since Apple claimed to Congress that
throttling wasn't "as" necessary, Apple became drunk on throttling more and
more devices in iOS 10, iOS 11, iOS 12, iOS 13, and who knows which phones
will get throttling software in iOS 14. (Apple is drunk on throttling!)
o *Every iPhone CPU from the iPhone 6 to iPhone 7 were throttled*
*then iPhone 8 to iPhone X were throttled*
*& now the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max & iPhone XR get throttling software*
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/Mzh1IvniDr8>

While you're not an apologist, you are an Apple cultist, as are most of the
people (yes, most of them, but not all) on this newsgroup, where every
single time you see a flaw in an Apple product, you _blame_ someone else
for Apple's own design decisions.

Bear in mind, for Apple's clearly _unique_ Apple-only OS-based CPU
throttling, not only have I kept up on the throttling situation,
criminally, e.g., Apple admitted the criminal offense & paid a criminal
fine:
o *Apple agrees to pay 25 million euros fine as Apple admits*
*"Apple committed the _crime_ of deceptive commercial practice*
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/l6gAjvW6aqQ>

But I've also kept up on the _unique_ Apple-only OS-based CPU throttling
situation on the civil side, e.g.,
o *Apple's Plan to Pay $500 Million to Settle Lawsuit Over*
*Secretly Throttling Older iPhones Gets Preliminary Approval today*
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/jN-h4WvWTEA>

And, I've kept up on this _unique_ Apple-only OS-based throttling
technically, e.g., I was the first one to break the news to this newsgroup
before we even knew the full extent of Apple's unique illegal throttling
which they admitted (see above) they did to purposefully and secretly
reduce iPhone life - only the secret was out when iOS 10 reduced CPU speeds
in half, drastically affecting iPhones:
o *Report says Apple 'Powerd' code secretly slows your iOS device*
*down to trick you into buying a new device*
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/GdEtzzrc9F0>

I studied why you do this, so I think I know the _reason_ you do this, even
as you likely do not realize why you're always blaming everyone but Apple
for Apple's own flaws, but it's clear most of you Apple cultists are
literally _desperate_ to blame someone else for Apple's admitted criminal
act:
o *Why do apologists like Alan Baker & nospam desperately try to shift*
*the blame of Apple bugs to Google & Microsoft?*
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/LOQx1Ok-79c>

HINT: You actually believe the doublespeak, in that:
a. Apple is different
(but when caught)
b. Apple is the same
(you can't have it both ways)

You (plural) blame everyone but Apple every single time Apple is caught
breaking their own rules, e.g.,
o *Contractors in Cork, Ireland, were expected to each listen to more than*
*1,000 recordings from Siri every shift - without Apple users' knowledge.*
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/n2O1TywAeGQ>

You don't realize this doublespeak thought process is _why_ you (plural
you), always blame everyone else for Apple's flaws... but I've studied why
you do this as it's one of the 7 responses to facts by Apple owners:
o *What are the common well-verified psychological traits of the*
*Apple Apologists on this newsgroup?*
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/18ARDsEOPzM>

Having said that as an adult, I will let you know that you seem to be
unaware that we fully covered this topic, directly, & in detail:
o *Do any Android phone manufacturers throttle (CPUs, PD Charging, Modems)*
*like Apple consistently does?*
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.mac.system/xK0qCYaagRw>

In the always purposefully helpful goal to get to the truth, I will post
this response to that thread, so that we can, together, pick it up from
there, on both the Apple and Android newsgroups, where balance is possible.
o *This weird thing made my phone faster...*
<https://youtu.be/78dHkn1O1EM?t=401>
--
Apple owners don't realize they fall for Orwellian MARKETING doublethink.

Arlen Holder

Oct 30, 2020, 9:01:54 PM10/30/20
UPDATE:
o iFixit reports major repair issues essentially rendering iPhone 12 camera repair almost unusable
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/QdyTJ8ZVbkM>

Bearing in mind not only can Apple barely scratch the top ten on camera
quality of output, but now, only Apple pulls these fast tricks purely for
profit off its infantile gullible consumer, all verbatim simply because
*Apologists' _hate_ all facts about Apple* such that apologists will
brazenly deny even these well-cited published facts from iFixit.

"the new phone appears to run into issues if a user replaces the
camera module, *which renders the cameras almost totally unusable*"

o iFixit reports that there are major issues when replacing the camera
<https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/30/21542242/apple-iphone-12-third-party-repairs-ifixit-camera-module-replacement>

"repairing a camera or display will now require Apple's own, in-house
System Configuration app, something that had previously only been
required for a battery swap"

"Apple has long since limited some aspects of iPhone repairs, like its
Touch ID and Face ID sensors... but it's hard to see how the camera
or battery would require similar restrictions"

See also the well-known fact that it's ONLY APPLE who pulls these tricks:
o Is there an Android manufacturer who employs the customer unfriendly repair practices that Apple foists upon its loyal customer base?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/lnf8QiyaYr4>

o Do any Android phone manufacturers throttle (CPUs, PD Charging, Modems) like Apple consistently does?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/xK0qCYaagRw>
--
You can't make those ungodly profits off of an intelligent customer base.

Arlen Holder

Dec 19, 2020, 12:39:49 PM12/19/20
Update for the permanent record, based on this thread posted today:
o [NEWS] Apple's A14 Outperforms New Snapdragon 888 Chip Coming in Future Android Phones
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/cSnMO5NvOhs>

This post by nospam claiming Samsung's fiasco the same as Apple's:
o <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/cSnMO5NvOhs/m/aHtlZICrBAAJ>

And this response proving there's almost no comparison between the two:
o <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/cSnMO5NvOhs/m/tsYvNISuBAAJ>

To wit...

On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 11:39:30 -0500, nospam wrote:

> apparently, they do.
>
> <https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/samsung-fined-millions-for-slowing-
> down-phones-through-updates-102518.html>

Hi nospam,

Here's a case where I must assume you don't believe a word you just said.
o Because the 2 situations are _completely_ different in every way
possible.

"Samsung has been fined E5 million (approximately $5.7 million) for
problems surrounding its Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 update.
The update was meant for the Galaxy Note 7 but Samsung failed to warn
users that when installed on the older Note 4, the update caused the
phone to malfunction"

<https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/apple-samsung-fined-slowing-down-phones/>

What you know, nospam because you're not as stupid as what you post implies
1. Samsung immediately STOPPED doing that (see above)
2. It happened to _one_ Samsung model (they gave an old phone a newer OS)

Even you, nospam, can't possibly believe this is the same as what Apple did
o Nor is it the same as what Apple _still_ does, even today, to iPhones

Please tell me you're not so stupid as to believe these 2 cases similar
o You're just hoping everyone who reads your post, is an idiot who can't

Besides, you only have 7 responses to fact, none of which is adult.
o One of those responses is to blame everyone but Apple for what Apple does

Another is to imply that what others do is what Apple did
o Where what you point to is _nothing_ like what Apple did & is doing today

You think I don't know _every_ one of your lame excuses by now?
o What Samsung did is/was always completely different from what Apple did.

Because you have no defense to that salient fact, you just keep pointing to
the 2018 Samsung case long after were proved, beyond any possible doubt,
that what Apple did, and what Apple is _still_ doing, is completely
different than what Samsung accidentally did (& which they stopped doing).

You've already posted this lame excuse so many times that I guess you think
the average Apple user on this newsgroup is dumb enough to consider it a
parallel.

There are many ways to prove it's _not_ a parallel, by the way.
o One of which is to ask whether Samsung is _still_ doing this as Apple is?

The other is clearly what Samsung was doing, which was _nothing_ like what
Apple was doing (Apple admitted purposefully slowing down the CPU speeds).

By way of _huge_ contrast that only an apologist could believe, the Samsung
updates inadvertently lowered performance (much like how adding a firewall
or an installation tracker can lower overall performance).

In the case of Samsung, they put a Note 7 OS into a Note 4, which had the
result of lowering performance - but they quickly and immediately stopped
that because, they say, they had no intention of lowering performance.

Even if that was their _secret_ intention, it didn't happen to other phones
and it's not happening now, and particularly it's not happening in the
brand new phones.

Contrast that with Apple who is putting the throttling software in _every_
release, adding more phones in iOS 10, then adding more in iOS 11, then
adding still more in iOS 12 and then adding more still in iOS 13.

BTW, Apple already admitted criminal guilt, and settled most of the class
action claims (AFAIK) in the USA, and yet, Apple is _still_ to this very
day putting throttling software on phones only about a year old.

Has Samsung either admitted guilt (they said they'd appeal but your article
is dated) or does Samsung _still_ cause phones to have lowered performance
because they put the newer update into the older phone?
--
HINT: I do not think nospam is as stupid as his claim suggests he is.

Arlen Holder

Dec 21, 2020, 5:10:57 PM12/21/20
On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 13:35:26 -0500, nospam wrote:

> android device makers ignore it and suffer unexpected sudden shutdowns,
> including during boot time, where the device goes into an endless boot
> loop. that's *bad*.

Hi nospam,

Stop it with the pure bullshit, will ya.
o Just stop it.

You couldn't last a week in the Silicon Valley they way you bullshit, nospam.
o Only on an Apple newsgroup could you even possibly survive.

Because most Apple owners are too ignorant to catch your bullshit.
o Nobody but Apple pulls these smartphone throttling stunts, nospam.

Nobody.

We get it that you'll fabricate any excuse in your defense of Apple.
o But your fabrications of bullshit in defense of Apple have got to stop.

Only the most childish of people would believe what you claim.
o No OEM other than Apple pulls these throttling stunts, nospam.

So stop bullshitting us, nospam.
o I'm sure the apologists (e.g., Lewis, Jolly Roger, et al.) love it.

But you spout pure bullshit with nary a single fact to back it up.
o Not even one.

Every time you pull this stunt (e.g., you blame Samsung for Apple's design
flaws), I point out that nobody on this planet can find any OEM other than
Apple who pulls these throttling stunts on a mobile device.
o Nobody.

o Do any Android phone manufacturers throttle (CPUs, PD Charging, Modems) like Apple consistently does?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/ZTmmGoAndyM>
--
The problem with Apple newsgroups is apologists fabricate all their claims.

Alan Baker

Dec 21, 2020, 5:16:35 PM12/21/20
On 2020-12-21 2:10 p.m., Arlen Holder wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 13:35:26 -0500, nospam wrote:
>
>> android device makers ignore it and suffer unexpected sudden shutdowns,
>> including during boot time, where the device goes into an endless boot
>> loop. that's *bad*.
>
> Hi nospam,
>
> Stop it with the pure bullshit, will ya.

After you:

'Major android companies recently claimed they never throttle CPU of
consumer devices. This is a discussion of that hypocrisy.

Not only have android phones throttled CPU usage in secret in the past,
they did it to trick customers into believing their phones were faster
than reality.'

<https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/7n2s0n/apple_vs_android_and_cpu_throttling/>

From there, links to:

'Samsung, HTC, LG comment on #iPhoneSlow despite awkward histories of
cheating on benchmarks

Here's what those companies had to say, their histories with performance
issues and disclosures thereof, and what it means for the greater
conversation about the interplay of processors and batteries over time.

As to not reducing CPU performance through software updates, that's
probably very carefully worded to avoid the awkwardness around Samsung
having previously been caught throttling GPU performance... for
everything but benchmarking apps.

From ExtremeTech:

"Specifically, the international version of the Galaxy S4 (the one
equipped with Samsung's Exynos 5410 Octa) will boost the GPU clock to
532MHz, from 480MHz, if it detects that GLBenchmark 2.5.1, Antutu, or
Quadrant is running. The team at Anandtech that investigated the problem
dug further, and discovered a function, dubbed "BenchmarkBooster" buried
inside the dynamic voltage and frequency scaling APK. That allows the
GPU to set specific frequencies for specific titles."

Samsung was later caught by Ars Technica doing the same thing for Galaxy
Note. The company explained at the time that it was doing this to
prevent overload — which should, by now, sound familiar to just about
everyone — but, as ExtremeTech pointed out, it was blocking everything
but benchmark apps.'

So Samsung throttles your phone all the time...

...except when you're running a benchmarking app.

And more from there:

'Geekbench found Sony doing the same. AnandTech added Asus, HTC, and LG.
XDA-Developers just recently caught OnePlus as well. All of them were
throttling everything but certain benchmark apps — or, rather,
un-throttling or boosting only for certain benchmark apps.

Which is what makes LG's "Never have, never will! We care what our
customers think." and HTC's "not something we do" fascinating to say the
least.

Technically, the statements are true — they didn't need to throttle down
processors over time to prevent overload because those processors
weren't running at peak to begin with.'