MGWSI native M website?

Erik Zoltan

Oct 19, 2012, 9:57:13 AM10/19/12
to mdb-commu...@googlegroups.com
I want to create a website from scratch in M and make it open source.  Does anyone have experience or advice on how to get started doing this with MGWSI? I don't want to rely on a lot of convenience features that may have been put in place already, but really just want to code the site from scratch.  I am having trouble getting started - either I use M/DB and have to figure out how to disable the code that it puts in place, or try to install and configure MGWSI and tweak it to give me the right level of support.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Erik Zoltan

Mike Clayton

Oct 19, 2012, 10:40:02 AM10/19/12
to mdb-commu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,

I presume you have MGWSI, MDB and EWD installed on an Ubuntu server?
If so, and you want to do things completely manually then I think you can just look at your Apache configuration (etc/apache2/sites-available), where you'll have something like this for m_apache:

LoadModule m_apache_module /usr/mgwsi/bin/m_apache22.so
SetEnv MGWSI_PORT 7041

<Location /mdb>
  SetEnv MGWSI_M_UCI /usr/local/gtm/ewd/mumps.gld
  SetEnv MGWSI_M_FUNCTION mgwsiResponse^MDB
</Location>

<Location /ewd>
  SetEnv MGWSI_M_UCI /usr/local/gtm/ewd/mumps.gld
  SetEnv MGWSI_M_FUNCTION runPage^%zewdGTMRuntime
</Location>

I think you should be able to create your own location that specifies your own database and runtime routine, such as:

<Location /eric>
  SetEnv MGWSI_M_UCI /path/to/your/database.gld
  SetEnv MGWSI_M_FUNCTION run^%ericRuntime
</Location>

Have a look %zewdGTMRuntime.m for hints on how to get at CGI variables, etc, but you should be able to write your own M framework to interpret urls and return the HTML you want.

I won't comment on whether it's a good use of time! :)

Mike

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 06:57:13 -0700
From: erikz...@gmail.com
To: mdb-commu...@googlegroups.com