Device Port Thread

chev droid

Jun 15, 2016, 12:18:23 PM6/15/16
to maru-...@googlegroups.com
Hi devs and community!

Since there are plans for porting Maru OS to other devices, after it's Open Source and on Git, I think a Thread with a "Device Port List" would be good.

E.g.

[Nexus 7] [In development] [DevName1(Leader), DevName2 ...]
A Leader for each Port which is coordinating the work with the other devs could make sense in some cases.

Maru OS Device Ports:

Nexus Devices

[Nexus 5x] [port working] [Preetam] [NO Slimport & MHL Support by Hardware]

[Nexus 4] [planned] [Bojan, chev?]

[Nexus 7 2012] [in development] [Tyler, ...]

[Nexus 7 2013 (flo wifi)] [port working] [Tyler]
Nexus 7 Porting Thread

Download test builds:
Find it here

[Nexus 7 2013 (deb LTE)] [in development] [Tyler]

Nexus 7 Porting Thread

[Nexus 6] [planned] [chev, ...] [NO Slimport & MHL Support by Hardware]
Testing: UnsocialSoul, Lethe

[Nexus 6p] [in development] [bootlessxfly, chev[NO Slimport & MHL Support by Hardware] [Display Link Support]

Nexus 6P Porting Thread

Development repos:
https://github.com/bootlessxfly/maruos_device_nexus6p
https://github.com/bootlessxfly/maruos_device_nexus6p_kernel
https://github.com/bootlessxfly/maruos_device_nexus6p_images

[Nexus 9] [in development] Tyler Martin

Pixel Devices

[Google Pixel] [planned] [chev]
Probably no Slimport/MHL Support.

HTC Devices

[HTC 10] [port working] [Georgian]

One Plus Devices

[One Plus 3] [planned] [Vitor Arins]

[One Plus 5] [planned] [Vitor Arins]

Essential Devices

[Essential Phone] [in development] [Michael DeFrancesco]

Essential PH-1 Porting Thread

LG Devices

[LG G2] [planned] [Craig]

Testing : Starly Solon, Roma Lytvynov, ImOnLinux

[LG G3 D855] [Planned] [Mika Beckerich]

Testing: Nicolò Balzarotti, Andrea Gallo

[LG V10] [planned] [Georgian]

[LG G4 H815] [port working] [Georgian]

Motorola Devices

[Motorola G 2nd Gen] [Planned] [hackersarchangel] [NO Slimport & MHL Support by Hardware]

[Motorola Z2 Force] [port working] [Georgian]

Samsung Devices

[Samsung Note 4] [planned] [Juan Luis ]

[Samsung S9/S9+] [port working] [Georgian]

Sony Devices

[Xperia devices which has MHL support] [Planned] [Noel Macwan]

Will be split up per device, when the builds are up.

[Xperia Z3 Compact] [in development] [Noel,Stefan]

Port Status

planned             =     User/Dev planned to do a port, not started yet or waiting

in development =     Dev(s) have started working on the port

port working      =     Dev(s) have a working version of Maru OS on their devices

available           =     Working version of Maru OS available for this device

canceled           =      Dev(s) canceled the port due to either, no time, device not available to dev(s), or not able to make a port.

Regards

chev

Preetam

Jun 15, 2016, 9:18:03 PM6/15/16
to Maru OS dev
Great idea chev, you beat me to it!

Anyone interested in porting to a device, please let us know by adding a line as chev has shown above.

I know Craig is looking at the LG G2, Antonius at the 5X, Bojan at the Nexus 4, chev himself at a few other Nexus devices, plus many others I can't remember off the top of my head...definitely some Sony devices and Samsung in there. I'll reach out to the folks who got in touch over email over the past few months and point them at this thread.
Message has been deleted

Starly Solon

Jun 18, 2016, 5:27:22 PM6/18/16
to Maru OS dev
I have a LG G2 (d803) and I'd be wiling to test some builds when they'll be available.

Mika Beckerich

Jun 20, 2016, 12:44:44 AM6/20/16
to Maru OS dev
I have an [LG G3 D855][Planned][Mika Beckerich]. How can this line be added to the list?

Dustin Klingele

Jun 22, 2016, 9:19:37 PM6/22/16
to Maru OS dev
I have a Moto G 2nd Gen I'd be willing to try this out on.

So [Motorola G 2nd Gen][Planned][hackersarchangel].

If I find the time to learn how to port stuff, I'll certainly take a crack at it until someone much more qualified than me comes along.

dan

Jun 24, 2016, 3:43:57 AM6/24/16
to Maru OS dev
Hey chev,

before porting to an old or dead horse (Android 5.1.1) wouldn't it be better to take a look at Nutella?
That would be an investment into the future.

chev droid

Jun 24, 2016, 2:14:29 PM6/24/16
to Maru OS dev
hi dan,

First Maru should be be updated to M and after N is out there will be the update to N I think, since preview 3 is out for Nexus 5 there is a good change Maru OS (currently based on Nexus 5) will get N.

Until then, porting from L to M or even N would be problematic since the "base" of Maru is currently on L. So porting to other Android 5.X phones/tablets makes sense atm.

Before we can start porting, we have to waint until Maru OS is opensourced (until Code is on git).

And that are only my thoughts, because Preetam is the developer of Maru OS (I'm only helping out here and doing this list and so on.) But I think Preetam will soon get help from us in developing :)

Preetam

Jun 24, 2016, 4:18:40 PM6/24/16
to Maru OS dev
Starting off porting v0.2.3 on devices that support L and then upgrading to M should not be a big change for the device maintainers as device-specific code is pretty well separated from the rest of the system. There are a few devices that were introduced with M or later (5X and 6P) so these will need to wait till Maru OS is on M. M first, then possibly N after it's been released and sees a few bug fixes as is common with any new release.

Conor Anderson

Jun 26, 2016, 12:23:06 PM6/26/16
to maru-...@googlegroups.com
I am happy to test a Nexus 4 port.
I have a Oneplus One as well, but with no HDMI/MHL out, I don't know how Maru would work!

Starly Solon

Jul 2, 2016, 10:37:44 AM7/2/16
to Maru OS dev
If some devices already have the source code for the device tree and kernel (like devices officially supported by Cyanogenmod) would porting be easier? And what does it take to make a port, I'd love to try!

Preetam

Jul 5, 2016, 7:36:13 PM7/5/16
to Maru OS dev
I'll put together a basic outline of the porting process when all the code is up!

Yeah, it is definitely easier to do a port if you have a reference configuration to work off of. The Nexus devices all have publicly available device repos that you can base your port on, including the kernel sources. For non-Nexus devices, you may have to visit the vendor's website and download a tarball of all the necessary sources to build a complete device image; for example, LG has an open-source website where you can download the kernel and android sources.

I am not very familiar with CyanogenMod myself, but yes, if you have some reference to start with you can save a lot of time.

Essentially, what you will need to do is provide two things:
  1. A pre-built kernel image repo that will be very similar to https://github.com/maruos/device_lge_hammerhead-kernel
  2. A device configuration repo that will define all device-specific setup (the Nexus 5 device repo for Maru OS is not available just yet, but when it is that will serve as a good example). This can be pretty tricky to get working completely for devices without public repos...if you miss some configuration you may not activate certain hardware on your device for example.

I definitely encourage you to try a port if you're interested!

Preetam

Jul 12, 2016, 10:58:53 PM7/12/16
to Maru OS dev
A heads-up that the device configuration repo I mentioned above is now available on GitHub: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/maru-os-dev/CZxym6f_n7I/iog9BkaPCQAJ. This is the second piece of the puzzle for device ports, along with the pre-built kernel.

jason bender

Jul 24, 2016, 3:01:55 AM7/24/16
to Maru OS dev
Hello All!

I am excited to find this project - I was a member of the Atrix devteam (a similar project, my most notable contribution was to debug the GTK conflict with openoffice,  and writing an ARM device driver for SPL2 printers.) - I am willing to buy a device specifically for this project ... am thinking Nexus 6, LG G4 - or anything >5.5" that has LTE band 2...

On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 9:18:23 AM UTC-7, chev droid wrote:
Hi devs and community!

Since there are plans for porting Maru OS to other devices, after it's Open Source and on Git, I think a Thread with a "Device Port List" would be good.

Like:

[Device] [Status] [Developpers(Leader)/Maintainers]

E.g.

[Nexus 7] [In development] [DevName1(Leader), DevName2 ...]

Also a list with helpers/testers would be a good idea I think, since a dev can do a port, but maybe don't have a device. And maybe someone has that devices but isn't able to do a port.

A Leader for each Port which is coordinating the work with the other devs could make sense in some cases.

Maru OS Device Ports:

Nexus Devices

[Nexus 5x] [planned] [Antonius]

Porting could be problematic, since MaruOS isn't yet on marshmallow?

[Nexus 4] [planned] [Bojan]

[Nexus 7] [planned] [chev, ...]

[Nexus 6] [planned] [chev, ...]

[Nexus 6p] [planned] [chev, ...]

Porting could be problematic, since MaruOS isn't yet on marshmallow?

LG Devices

[LG G2] [planned] [Craig]

Testing : Starly Solon

[LG G3 D855] [Planned] [Mika Beckerich]

Motorola Devices

[Motorola G 2nd Gen] [Planned] [hackersarchangel]

Samsung Devices

Sony Devices

Regards

chev

Technerd24680

Jul 24, 2016, 7:12:35 AM7/24/16
to Maru OS dev
Would love to see this ported to the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Sm-n9005 Or all Note 3 Models. Thanks In Advance

Preetam

Jul 25, 2016, 7:35:11 PM7/25/16
to Maru OS dev
Hi Jason!

On Sunday, July 24, 2016 at 3:01:55 AM UTC-4, jason bender wrote:
Hello All!

I am excited to find this project - I was a member of the Atrix devteam (a similar project, my most notable contribution was to debug the GTK conflict with openoffice,  and writing an ARM device driver for SPL2 printers.) - I am willing to buy a device specifically for this project ... am thinking Nexus 6, LG G4 - or anything >5.5" that has LTE band 2...

Wow, very exciting to hear you were an engineer for the Atrix--I've always heard references to it as the first mover in this space!

Lots of folks have been asking for Nexus 6 and LG devices so we should definitely have a few ports over there before too long. The ports are mostly waiting on all of the code to be open-sourced. About 90% of it is available on GitHub now and the rest will be following shortly.

I'm very much looking forward to having your expertise on the project, whether it's testing Maru out on new devices or contributing ideas / code / etc.

Best,
Preetam

chev droid

Jul 28, 2016, 10:33:26 AM7/28/16
to Maru OS dev
Hi

Porting Maru OS to Nexus6p and Nexus5x could be problematic, since they don't support Slimport, MHL neither.
So I don't see Maru OS comming to the both Nexus Devices...or at least it wouldn't make much sense, when you can't connect to a Monitor/TV.

What maybe would work is DisplayLink (which requeris special hardware).

Or at least i don't see any other possibility.

Regards

chev

Preetam

Jul 28, 2016, 10:09:37 PM7/28/16
to Maru OS dev
On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 10:33:26 AM UTC-4, chev droid wrote:
Hi

Porting Maru OS to Nexus6p and Nexus5x could be problematic, since they don't support Slimport, MHL neither.
So I don't see Maru OS comming to the both Nexus Devices...or at least it wouldn't make much sense, when you can't connect to a Monitor/TV.

Yup, I agree.

But if there is still interest in running the desktop in a headless mode over SSH/VNC it may be possible to still have a port once https://github.com/maruos/maruos/issues/5 is done.

What maybe would work is DisplayLink (which requeris special hardware).

This was just recently brought to my attention; something to look at for sure! It would be nice to support this in addition to HDMI to open up more devices for Maru. But yes, as you said it does require DisplayLink hardware (display / dock)...

Best,
Preetam

Antonius Harijanto

Jul 29, 2016, 2:58:07 AM7/29/16
to Maru OS dev
My Nexus 5x just got stolen, I'm going to get a new device which could also be used for development.

Any idea what would be ideal? (I'm looking for something newer, perhaps 2015 - 2016 launched device)

Bart Vdpt

Jul 29, 2016, 9:32:54 AM7/29/16
to Maru OS dev
+1
As my previous post, i also wanna still know which device is next. But i want something little newer then the Nexus 5. But it seams that this one was the last with SlimPort: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Google_Nexus_smartphones
The needed SlimPort seams to be the barrier that will possibly stop MarusOs from growing. Or are there new display ports that will be supported in the future?

My 2009 smartphone is diying so i need to buy a new secondhand the next coming month.
And i wanna buy one to run SailfishOs and Android/MarusOs.

misc.intern...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2016, 4:03:21 PM8/1/16
to Maru OS dev
I was trying to look at the code and do something but too swamped now. Still, as a user, my request would be either
(a) Zenfone 2. This is x86 hardware so it would maybe allow many binary drivers to run (displaylink for one).
(b) HTC 10. This seems to work reliably (unlike LG hardware), is fast and has slimport 4K out. With a 4K output, one could hook the phone to datapath Fx4 and have a single phone drive 4 screens. With some hardware acceleration in Maru if it ever happens, this could be quite a desktop setup.

Antonius Harijanto

Aug 3, 2016, 11:26:09 AM8/3/16
to Maru OS dev
I decided to resurrect my HTC One m7, as turned out it supports HDMI over MHL. Looking forward to start working on MaruOS :)

chev droid

Aug 3, 2016, 2:15:14 PM8/3/16
to Maru OS dev
Antonius remember that Maru OS currently only supports Slimport not MHL!

But support for MHL sould be possible in future or could be tested e.g. on your M7!

And if I remember correctly most Samsung devices also only support MHL, so MHL support would be a good idea, even if Slimport is superior to MHL.

Preetam

Aug 7, 2016, 1:22:50 PM8/7/16
to Maru OS dev
I think I've implemented the HDMI stuff at a layer that abstracts the actual protocol--I just haven't had a chance to test it on MHL yet because I don't have MHL hardware. So Antonius can be the first to test out MHL! If it doesn't work, we can use the M7 to work towards supporting MHL.

Antonius Harijanto

Aug 7, 2016, 11:30:05 PM8/7/16
to Maru OS dev
Sounds great! I'll give it try

Bart Vdpt

Aug 11, 2016, 4:01:26 PM8/11/16
to Maru OS dev
Nexus 6 has no Slimport support?! Like i mentioned above after Nexus 5 no Slimport support anymore.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Google_Nexus_smartphones
The needed SlimPort seams not so widly spread and used:
http://www.slimportconnect.com/slimport-supported-devices/

Will there come other display port technology support later on, and which one?

I am really interested in Maru Os , sorry i am not a programmer but more a designer/developer.
But if i know which device i can buy and test.

After some research seams that the HTC 10 is the only phone that has all the specs right for the real desktop experience. http://www.htc.com/us/smartphones/htc-10/
Only to expensive for me.

Preetam

Aug 11, 2016, 9:48:16 PM8/11/16
to Maru OS dev
Hi Bart,

Thanks for bringing this up and apologies for the unclear answers!

MHL should likely work without major changes to the system so you can also take a look at devices that support MHL: http://www.mhltech.org/devices.aspx

I have heard that some of the Sony devices are pretty open with their Open Devices program and a lot of them support MHL: http://developer.sonymobile.com/open-devices/

Also the full list of SlimPort devices are here: http://us.slimportconnect.com/slimport-supported-devices/

But yeah, I agree 100% Maru needs to move past wired HDMI protocols like SlimPort and MHL since it looks like Nexus is dropping support in favor of Chromecast. Wireless standards like Miracast and Chromecast can open up a lot more devices to Maru. They've been on my list for a while but I've been tied up with the open-sourcing stuff.

Chromecast is #2 on my feature TODO list so we can get Maru on the latest Nexus devices. I am fairly confident this can be done so feel free to look at Nexus 6 and beyond if you are picking up a new device!

Preetam

Bart Vdpt

Aug 13, 2016, 4:36:15 AM8/13/16
to Maru OS dev
Hi Preetam

Yes, in some post your write "only support for SlimPort". That was confusing me.
Thanks for to make this all more clear.

I will check soon all possible devices from the URL's you have posted.
Make's it more difficult to chose out of more devices. :-)
I am not a big fan to buy a Nexus.
Will follow up the Maru development and see which device is next.

For me it doesn't have to be Wireless, how will i connect my (future) phone to any computer monitor?
With a in-between device, but then it starts to get less mobile.
The best thing of MaruOS for me is that i can connect my (future) phone anywhere on almost any monitor.

Sometimes i notice that wired is more mobile then wireless, but that's another discussion.

Pity i can't help because i understand nothing of this.
And no time to learn because i work already more then full-time.
But still waiting to test.

Regards

Roma Lytvynov

Aug 21, 2016, 6:00:35 PM8/21/16
to Maru OS dev
Hi, I have LG G2 (d802) and I want testing it.
Thx.

abhiram aditya

Aug 26, 2016, 11:09:53 AM8/26/16
to Maru OS dev
Please add Samsung Note 4 device. I would like to test on it.

On Wednesday, 15 June 2016 21:48:23 UTC+5:30, chev droid wrote:
Hi devs and community!

Since there are plans for porting Maru OS to other devices, after it's Open Source and on Git, I think a Thread with a "Device Port List" would be good.

Like:

[Device] [Status] [Developpers(Leader)/Maintainers]

E.g.

[Nexus 7] [In development] [DevName1(Leader), DevName2 ...]

Also a list with helpers/testers would be a good idea I think, since a dev can do a port, but maybe don't have a device. And maybe someone has that devices but isn't able to do a port.

A Leader for each Port which is coordinating the work with the other devs could make sense in some cases.

Maru OS Device Ports:

Nexus Devices

[Nexus 5x] [planned] [Antonius] [NO Slimport & MHL Support by Hardware]

[Nexus 4] [planned] [Bojan]

[Nexus 7] [planned] [chev, ...]

[Nexus 6] [planned] [chev, ...] [NO Slimport & MHL Support by Hardware]

[Nexus 6p] [planned] [chev, ...[NO Slimport & MHL Support by Hardware]

LG Devices

[LG G2] [planned] [Craig]

Testing : Starly Solon, Roma Lytvynov

[LG G3 D855] [Planned] [Mika Beckerich]

Motorola Devices

[Motorola G 2nd Gen] [Planned] [hackersarchangel]

Samsung Devices

Sony Devices

Regards

chev

Nicolò Balzarotti

Aug 26, 2016, 11:10:20 AM8/26/16
to Maru OS dev
LG G3 D855 here, ready to tests nightly builds :)

Conor Anderson

Aug 26, 2016, 11:14:23 AM8/26/16
to Maru OS dev
I'd be interested to know how well Maru could respond to the Andromium Superbook. They've just finished their KS project.

ha...@jakoblicina.de

Aug 26, 2016, 11:32:56 AM8/26/16
to Maru OS dev
I can offer testing on Moto G 2014 Dual-SIM :)

Bart Vdpt

Aug 26, 2016, 11:56:48 AM8/26/16
to Maru OS dev
@conor: already dicussed in this post: https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/maru-os/9D_TBOXKo_8
The developers from Superbook have never replied on my question about MarusOs versus Superbook.
But the developers from NexDock have replied that it (will) work(s). Have backed the SBook, so in februari '17 i can test. :-/ When it doesn't work i sell it and buy the NexDock.

ImOnLinux

Aug 26, 2016, 12:16:34 PM8/26/16
to Maru OS dev
I have a LG G2 (VS980) and would enjoy testing Maru OS on it. I am currently running Maru OS on a Nexus 5 and it is fantastic.
Message has been deleted

UnsocialSoul

Kevin Cottingham

Aug 26, 2016, 1:38:33 PM8/26/16
to Maru OS dev
Hello, I have a HTC One M7 and would be more than happy to test builds on it.

Nikil Augustine

Aug 26, 2016, 1:58:33 PM8/26/16
to Maru OS dev
i know my way around porting, i have a spare falcon device not sure if i should try porting maru to it. i had it on my n5 since the early stages.

Andrea Gallo

Aug 26, 2016, 2:28:20 PM8/26/16
to Maru OS dev
Hi! I have an LG G3 international (d855). I'm ready to test the first build but I don't know how to port it

chev droid

Aug 26, 2016, 3:00:30 PM8/26/16
to Maru OS dev
added more testers to the list.

But I think, it doesn't make sense to add testers to a device which no port is planned yet (no dev which will do a port yet). I'll add those testers to the list, when someone is doing a port for that devices.

Jason Secord

Aug 26, 2016, 3:17:16 PM8/26/16
to Maru OS dev
I have a Oneplus2 and would be willing to test builds if someone can port maru.

luis miguel ruiz

Aug 26, 2016, 5:03:57 PM8/26/16
to Maru OS dev

El viernes, 26 de agosto de 2016, 21:17:16 (UTC+2), Jason Secord escribió:
I have a Oneplus2 and would be willing to test builds if someone can port maru.

hi i had lg g2 d802 i can help for a test the device.

Janne Granström

Aug 27, 2016, 7:36:56 AM8/27/16
to Maru OS dev
Well Preetam,

You said that idea for maru OS comes when you watching a Samsung Galaxy S4 release event, and you dont even have a plan to make the rom available to that phone!

I9505 has very active rom (android) community what proves that sgs4 hardware is very capable even todays need, so bring Maru to it too! :)

pokegeaks2

Aug 27, 2016, 7:45:53 PM8/27/16
to Maru OS dev
So I have a Samsung Galaxy S4, although it's my main phone, I'd be happy to test out the OS if it's ever ported. :)

Tyler Martin

Aug 27, 2016, 10:50:13 PM8/27/16
to Maru OS dev
Hey Chev,

I'm having issues getting a kernel to compile for the Nexus 7 (grouper). Have you been able to get one compiled? Compiles fine without the additional options. Add the additional options and no go.

On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 12:18:23 PM UTC-4, chev droid wrote:
[...]

JB Bongrand

Aug 28, 2016, 1:38:51 AM8/28/16
to Maru OS dev
I have 3 devices:
Nexus 4
Nexus 7 2012 GSM (but can also be converted as grouper since I don't use the gsm)
LG G3 D855

They are all unlocked and running on custom rom, with TWRP and xposed intalled.
I don't use the Nexus 4 et 7 anymore, then it's perfect for test.
I can also test on my LG since it's very easy for me to restore my rom backups.
I have some knowledge in android custom rom, so I can help :)

Jason Secord

Aug 28, 2016, 4:32:38 AM8/28/16
to Maru OS dev
After some reading I've come to realize porting maru to the oneplus2 would require integrating Miracast as an alternative to MHL/Slimport... If the feature eventually makes it way into maru count me as a tester for this device, I'm eager to get involved.

chev droid

Aug 28, 2016, 4:05:48 PM8/28/16
to maru-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tyler, Hi JB

I'm working on the port for nexus 7 flo (only have this version of the N7 to test on), grouper was with LTE right or was it the 2012 version?

Unfortunately I had some problems with my dev machine, which delayed to start with the work. I haven't done much yet, hopeing get some stuff done this week.

When you try to compile and it didn't worked, what error message do you get and which "options" do you add when it won't work?

@JB Bongrand feel free to try to port to any devices, just let us know which, then I can add it to the list :)

I have N4,N5,N7 (2013), N6 and N6p, so for testing on the most Nexus devices, you can count on me. For porting I have currently the focus on N7 (2013), but if anybody wants to help, help is always welcome :)

Regards

chev

Tyler Martin

Aug 29, 2016, 11:25:41 AM8/29/16
to maru-...@googlegroups.com
Grouper is the 2012 wifi version of the Nexus 7. These are the options that I'm adding to the defconfig file.

CONFIG_CGROUP_DEVICE=y
CONFIG_CPUSETS=y
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
CONFIG_DEVPTS_MULTIPLE_INSTANCES=y
CONFIG_NAMESPACES=y

Here's the error I'm getting http://pastebin.com/FdUPMcQD

EDIT: Okay. I ended up switching back to kernel source from Google and got it working. I was unable to get that to build at all before but I figured it out. Compiling a Grouper build as I type.

Preetam

Aug 29, 2016, 9:37:36 PM8/29/16
to Maru OS dev
Wow, thanks everyone for the support! With all of your help I think we can get quite a few builds going.

@Tyler You were able to get the grouper kernel to build with the Maru options? Hope so! I have noticed that some builds fail with these options because the Google patched kernel hasn't been well-tested with these options... In fact I have come across some kernel builds that have been broken with undefined references when enabling user namespaces (CONFIG_USER_NS) for example. My guess is that they weren't patched completely right... One thing you can try to do just to get a kernel build going is just disable the problematic option (CONFIG_CPUSETS from your log it looks like) and hope that LXC will just throw a warning and still start the container. Or just go with the stock kernel to bring up the device with Maru...everything will work minus the desktop stuff and then you can iterate on the kernel till it works. I'm working to try to minimize the set of additional options needed.

Tyler Martin

Aug 30, 2016, 12:54:26 AM8/30/16
to maru-...@googlegroups.com
That log was when I was trying to build a 3.4 kernel from xda. The reason I tried it is because at first I couldn't get the kernel source from Google to compile even before adding the options needed by Maru. I finally fixed it and got it to build with and without the options. I do have another issue so I'll post a few logs in the morning.

Update:

Here are the two logs.

Thanks for the help!

Lethe

Aug 30, 2016, 9:37:43 AM8/30/16
to Maru OS dev
I have a Nexus 6, would gladly test.

Preetam

Aug 31, 2016, 12:15:50 AM8/31/16
to Maru OS dev
@Tyler let's move this discussion over to a separate thread https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/maru-os-dev/zdT_qHydRXA

chev droid

Aug 31, 2016, 3:52:05 AM8/31/16
to Maru OS dev
Tyler, JB

Is it okay when I add you both for the Nexus 7 2012, as devs? Since Tyler already is working on it and JB said he could help?

Please let me know and already big THANKS!

Tomogo

Aug 31, 2016, 6:14:38 AM8/31/16
to Maru OS dev
Hi, is any chance to get Maru OS to Samsung devices GT-I9506, N9005, G900F? All of them has MHL, and Snapdragon 8xx. SO it shoul be similar device like Nexus 5.

Tyler Martin

Aug 31, 2016, 2:35:03 PM8/31/16
to Maru OS dev
Yeah. That's fine with me.

chev droid

Aug 31, 2016, 4:48:40 PM8/31/16
to Maru OS dev
Hi Tomogo

Yes it is possible, when there is a dev which is willing to do a port. Currently no dev is working on samsung devices, but with a bit luck it may changes soon :)

@Tyler added you to the list

Juan Luis

Sep 1, 2016, 12:04:36 PM9/1/16
to Maru OS dev
Hi guys!

Preetam, was looking forward to liberate the code! I'm not dev but I will try to make the port to Samsung N4 and working properly on my device it will share with the community.

I love your project!

I can not wait to leave work to check the necessary material and start working on the port

Tyler Martin

Sep 2, 2016, 12:41:00 PM9/2/16
to Maru OS dev
@chev

Can't go any further with Grouper port until we get a slimmed down linux image. I don't have a Nexus 7 2013 but I'm more than willing to start trying to port it. Should I?

chev droid

Sep 2, 2016, 12:52:48 PM9/2/16
to Maru OS dev
@Tyler

of course you can.

I'm currently also working on the port for the nexus 2013 (flo), but yes help is always good ^^

Had some errors during kernel build, but looks like more of an "not the right or all tools need for building" error.

Noel Macwan

Sep 2, 2016, 9:07:18 PM9/2/16
to Maru OS dev
[Xperia devices which has MHL support][Planned][Noel Macwan]

Tyler Martin

Sep 2, 2016, 10:06:36 PM9/2/16
to Maru OS dev
@chev

I got the kernel built and the device tree setup. Just need to try to compile.

chev droid

Sep 3, 2016, 4:49:36 AM9/3/16
to Maru OS dev
Thanks Noel, added you to the list. (Will add device specific names, when first builds are up)

Okay nice to hear Tyler, I'll give it also another try today, when the sources are downloaded again (my slow internet connection gives me cancer)

Stefan

Sep 3, 2016, 5:09:44 AM9/3/16
to Maru OS dev
Hello, can you add me for Xperia Z3 Compact port? I'm already working on it.

chev droid

Sep 3, 2016, 11:41:46 AM9/3/16
to Maru OS dev
Hi Stefan

Added you to the list!

Tyler Martin

Sep 3, 2016, 10:23:48 PM9/3/16
to Maru OS dev
@chev

I've got a build for the Nexus 7 2013 ready. Want to give it a try?

Also got a build for the Nexus 7 2012 up and running only to find it doesn't have slimport/mhl.

chev droid

Sep 4, 2016, 7:03:44 AM9/4/16
to Maru OS dev
Hi Tyler nice to hear with the 2013 model. And sad to hear that the 2012 dont have MHL/Slimport.

But yes I'd love to test it on my N7 2013, since I'm with my build not that far as your build :)

Tyler Martin

Sep 4, 2016, 10:44:15 AM9/4/16
to Maru OS dev
Great! No formal installer yet so I'll just walk through the steps I took.
  • Backup current setup with TWRP
  • Backed up my sd card to my pc
  • Wiped system, data, cache and dalvik
  • Rebooted to bootloader
  • Unzip the flo zip
  • Ran the following from the flo folder:
    • fastboot format cache
    • fastboot flash boot boot.img
    • fastboot flash system system.img
    • fastboot format userdata
    • fastboot reboot

Let me know how it goes!

chev droid

Sep 4, 2016, 5:28:40 PM9/4/16
to maru-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tyler

I tested it right now. Sadly my n7 won't boot.

I had ubuntu installed so I flashed stock 5.1.1 and after wipeing I flashed your boot.img and system.img. After the bootloader (google logo) it takes a few secounds after that it reboots and not even showing any android/maru boot logo.

And idk if android writes some logfiles that early in the boot process, I'll have a look this evening if I can find something.

Message has been deleted

Technerd24680

Sep 4, 2016, 11:30:46 PM9/4/16
to Maru OS dev
I can see the note 4 has made it's way onto the port list. Would love if the note 3 N9005 could be ported aswell. It would be awesome if someone could do it. if somebody could take on my idea. I would do it but I don't have the skills.Thanks in advance

Preetam

Sep 5, 2016, 5:11:50 PM9/5/16
to Maru OS dev
@chev,Tyler Let's move this over to the Nexus 7 thread to make it easier to follow: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/maru-os-dev/zdT_qHydRXA
Message has been deleted

Klaus Rubenstein

Sep 16, 2016, 4:06:20 AM9/16/16
to Maru OS dev
Motorola G 2nd Gen does not support MHL nor SlimPort.

Manfred Valentan

Sep 18, 2016, 5:26:43 PM9/18/16
to Maru OS dev
I'd love to see Maru OS ported to the Fairphone 2. The people developing and buying the Fairphone care about open source software and reduction of electronic waste. It would be a match made in heaven to refrain from buying a new laptop and instead power a Laptop shell like the NexDock via Maru OS. Plus, all the closed source binary blobs (read: hardware drivers) are readily available for the Fairphone 2. However, Maru OS would need Miracast support, because the Fairphone 2 doesn't talk neither Slimport nor MHL.

I myself don't know the first thing about porting, but I'd be happy to test it, if someone is willing to take the challenge!

bootlessxfly

Sep 21, 2016, 9:41:10 PM9/21/16
to Maru OS dev

I have began the process of porting over to the nexus 6p. I can start a thread if anyone would like me to post updates

Preetam

Sep 21, 2016, 11:12:40 PM9/21/16
to Maru OS dev
@Manfred Thank you for your suggestion -- hope we can get a dev with a Fairphone to help out!

@bootlessxfly Feel free to create a thread if you have any questions during the porting process similar to the N7 or Xperia threads. Looking forward to seeing Maru OS on the 6P, although it is lacking HDMI hardware so will need to run in background mode for now.

chev droid

Sep 22, 2016, 3:45:19 AM9/22/16
to maru-...@googlegroups.com
Hi bootlessxfly

I'll add you to the porting list and yes as preetam already stated the 6p don't support Slimport neither MHL
, also marked red in my list above.
But sure why don't do port :)
I haven't worked on the port for the 6p, because I personally tought "the main feature won't work atm, so why do a port right now", but when doing a port now future ports for this device will be easier. So if I can help you with the port or testing or whatever, please let me know :)

@Klaus Rubenstein added the note, thx!

Cheers chev

Tomogo

Sep 22, 2016, 6:29:09 AM9/22/16
to Maru OS dev
Ok, I hope for better future ;-)

bootlessxfly

Sep 22, 2016, 9:39:14 AM9/22/16
to Maru OS dev
I should have mentioned. Display link works just fine with the nexus 6p. That was my plan for the port

chev droid

Sep 23, 2016, 3:23:16 AM9/23/16
to Maru OS dev
 @bootlessxfly okay good to know the 6p supports at least Displaylink, I didn't find any HDMI-Out support, since it uses usb 2.0 with just the usb-c type connector not usb 3.0 or 3.1.

The only bad thing about display link is, you need special hardware, even on the display/monitor side (or a dock/adapter) to get it work. But if it really support displaylink it would be amazing!
Another cool protocoll which hopefully future phone'll support is thunderbolt 3, which uses the usb-c connector. You could connect up to two 4k monitors and deliver up to 100 watts of power :)

bootlessxfly

Sep 23, 2016, 9:25:46 AM9/23/16
to Maru OS dev
I have a USB type c to USB 2.0 adapter. I also have a display link adapter I plug that into. And this combination with the display link driver from the play store allows me to hook my phone up to a moniter. Here is a link.
http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/android

One downside right now is that the nexus 6p does not support being in USB host mode while also charging. A possible fix to this would be to add ACA_host mode to the kernel. I believe there is an aca_host mode path for the nexus 7 kernel. I may look into porting this over in the future.

Anyways, when I get a chance either today or this weekend. I'll move all of this over to a nexus 6p porting thread.

chev droid

Sep 23, 2016, 9:59:14 AM9/23/16
to maru-...@googlegroups.com
Cool nice to hear, a bit complicated with cable -> (usb2.0) adapter --> (displaylink) adapter, but at least it works :) That really changes things, same workaround (or solution) could be done on other devices like nexus 5x or any other devices which don't support mhl or slimport! :)

I created a [Nexus 6p] Porting thread right now:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/maru-os-dev/3KxiW2ZVlQU

Cheers

chev

bootlessxfly

Sep 23, 2016, 1:17:02 PM9/23/16
to Maru OS dev
@chev droid. Yes any phone with I believe android 5 or later can use display link.

Евгений Коцарев

Oct 27, 2016, 4:02:13 AM10/27/16
to Maru OS dev
Hi Chev, is it present any instruction for porting maru os on device using cm's device/kernel tree?

chev droid

Oct 27, 2016, 5:20:41 AM10/27/16
to Maru OS dev
Hi Евгений Коцарев

at the moment sadly no. The only instructions which may help you are the developer instructions on github, see here: https://github.com/maruos/maruos/wiki/Developer-Guide

there's a porting guide entry in the wiki, but no instructions on how to port at the moment, neither how to port with stuff from cm (kernel/device tree). I think you won't be able to use the crm kernels properly since the kernel needs some flags set when compiling, to work with maru os.

Hope that helps you atleast a bit.

cheers
chev

chev droid

Nov 14, 2016, 7:36:46 AM11/14/16
to Maru OS dev
Changelog

-Added LG V10 -- port by Dionis L

-Added Google Pixel to the planned/requested list (will check/test Slimport/MHL support)

Dionis L

Nov 15, 2016, 12:51:21 PM11/15/16
to Maru OS dev
Hello , I started today porting for LG G4 (H815) , I just received the phone.

Xavier Bestel

Nov 16, 2016, 4:02:45 AM11/16/16
to Maru OS dev
If you achieve it, you're my personal hero !

Dionis L

Nov 16, 2016, 4:16:22 AM11/16/16
to Maru OS dev
Device must work ,it has slimport , etc and is 2015-2016 hardware ,not 2012 .So I think it deserver to get maru!

chev droid

Nov 16, 2016, 6:31:47 AM11/16/16
to maru-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dionis

added G4 H815 to the list and changed the status for the V10 to only "planned"

Changelog:

--Added some colors to the status of the ports

--Added G4 to the list

--Changed Status of Nexus 7 (2013) to [port working] first "working" Port of Maru OS by Tyler!!!

Aitor González Fernández

Nov 16, 2016, 2:58:24 PM11/16/16
to Maru OS dev
I have a LG G2 (d802) and I can test it.

In fact, I have a good number of devices... If in the future you make ports for them, I can test it.

(LG G3s, BQ Aquaris E4.5, Xiami Redmi Note 4, Sony Xperia Z2, Sony Xperia Miro, Samsung Galaxy S7... (Lumia 640? xD))

Preetam

Nov 17, 2016, 12:40:20 AM11/17/16
to Maru OS dev
So much easier to read Chev, thanks!

CJ Payton

Nov 23, 2016, 3:22:05 PM11/23/16
to Maru OS dev
Whats the chances of the LeEco Pro 3 being ported? $249 on black friday. Snapdragon 821, 4gb ram, 4070mh batter, 64 gigs of storage.

Thanks!

On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 11:18:23 AM UTC-5, chev droid wrote:
Hi devs and community!

Since there are plans for porting Maru OS to other devices, after it's Open Source and on Git, I think a Thread with a "Device Port List" would be good.

E.g.

[Nexus 7] [In development] [DevName1(Leader), DevName2 ...]
A Leader for each Port which is coordinating the work with the other devs could make sense in some cases.

Maru OS Device Ports:

Nexus Devices

[Nexus 5x] [planned] [Antonius] [NO Slimport & MHL Support by Hardware]

[Nexus 4] [planned] [Bojan, chev?]

[Nexus 7 2012] [in development] [Tyler, ...]

[Nexus 7 2013] [port working] [Tyler]
FIRST "working" Port of Maru OS!

[Nexus 6] [planned] [chev, ...] [NO Slimport & MHL Support by Hardware]
Testing: UnsocialSoul, Lethe

[Nexus 6p] [in development] [bootlessxfly, chev[NO Slimport & MHL Support by Hardware] [Display Link Support]

Pixel Devices

[Google Pixel] [planned] [chev]
Slimport/MHL support needs to be tested, clarified if supported or not. Also waiting until Maru OS is based on Android Nougat (7.x)

LG Devices

[LG G2] [planned] [Craig]

Testing : Starly Solon, Roma Lytvynov, ImOnLinux

[LG G3 D855] [Planned] [Mika Beckerich]

Testing: Nicolò Balzarotti, Andrea Gallo

[LG V10] [planned] [Dionis L]

[LG G4 H815] [in development] [Dionis L]

[...]

chev droid

Nov 23, 2016, 3:45:39 PM11/23/16
to Maru OS dev
hi CJ Payton

It should be possible to due a port, like for the most phones, the only question is or whats needed is a developer which is doing the port.

So if there's a dev with that phone there'll probably be a port available, but I think it's not a really popular or well know phone (never heard of it before) which could make it more difficult to find a dev for that.

Hope that helps you a bit.

Cheers chev

chev droid

Nov 30, 2016, 4:12:19 AM11/30/16
to Maru OS dev
Changelog:

--Splitted Nexus 7 2013 to flo (wifi model) and deb (lte model) with seperate status, since diffrent builds are needed.

Tyler Martin

Nov 30, 2016, 10:44:53 AM11/30/16
to Maru OS dev
Thanks Chev. If the 6p has display link, does that mean the 5x does as well?

Dionis L

Nov 30, 2016, 11:08:05 AM11/30/16
to Maru OS dev
From what I've read the new nexus phones that have USB-C , do not support to be charged in same time while the hdmi is attached .
This may be only a kernel problem or maybe is a harware problem , ppls tried to use the usb-c adapters they use on mac os , and on macbooks worked charge but on android no .
So until that will be fixed the only phone I found with slimport and usb2 and good specs was lg g4 .It in future the problem with usb-c hdmi out and charge in same time will be fixed I'll switch to nexus latest device . But who knows...

chev droid

Dec 1, 2016, 4:31:54 AM12/1/16
to Maru OS dev

@Tyler, yes I think the Nexus 5x also supports Display link, most android devices should support display link:

http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/android
quote: " Android device (tablet or phone) running OS version Lollipop or later (5.0 or later)"

@Georgian Chituc
yes the charging and hdmi at the same time with usb type c could be a problem! Hopefully it can be fixed in the kernel.

Interesting would be if the pixel phones or any other newer phones with usb type c support charging and hdmi at the same time or maybe even slimport. but anyway to test that we have to wait for maru os to be based on android 7.

Also I didn't find any specs if e.g. the pixel supports any of these standards, maybe it is supported but just not stated. (I'll test it with stock rom if there's any hdmi out supported by default)

It is loading more messages.