Favourite Lanza album covers

Derek McGovern

Dec 16, 2008, 5:45:23 PM12/16/08
to The Mario Lanza Forum
We touched recently on RCA's curious practice of featuring lone photos
of women on the front covers of various Lanza albums (Lanza on
Broadway, A Kiss & Other Love Songs, Love Songs & A Neapolitan
Serenade, etc). But what of their other Lanza album covers? Some of
these have been tacky in the extreme. Take this Christmas album cover,
for example (modelled disastrously on the Boris Chaliapin 1951 Time
magazine cover illustration of Lanza), which must surely have scared
potential purchasers away:

http://mariolanza.googlegroups.com/web/The+worst+Lanza+LP+cover!!.jpg

Little wonder that Lanza's mother asked RCA to replace it!!

But what of their *better* covers? As I've mentioned before, I've
always been very fond of the "Mario!" album cover. But just as good, I
feel, is the painting of Lanza on the Caruso Favorites cover, which,
to me, captures the lusty essence of the man:

http://mariolanza.googlegroups.com/web/Mario+Lanza+Sings+Caruso+Favorites.jpg

RCA was going through a mad painting stage at the time, and virtually
every one of the Lanza albums they put out for a while in the early
1960s featured a painting of Mario rather than a photo (The Vagabond
King, The Student Prince, The Best of ML, volumes 1 & 2, The Desert
Song, I'll Walk With God, etc). Still, with the exception of a hideous
Vagabond King cover, which can be seen here,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mario-Lanza-LP-The-Vagabond-King-S_W0QQitemZ380064868499QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116#ebayphotohosting

this practice was at least preferable to their endless rehashing of
the same studio portrait (often featuring only Lanza's head!) from
1950, which appeared on so many albums from The Student Prince (1954
release) onwards.

Any favourite covers? And does anyone share my fondness for the Caruso
Favorites painting?

ShawDAMAN

Dec 16, 2008, 7:44:21 PM12/16/08
to The Mario Lanza Forum
Interesting topic. :)

Mr. Mcgovern, I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you "For the first
time" :P

I like the Caruso favorites cover but I don't love it. :) I actually
think it's a little to sedate; his eyes look dull and it just doesn't
evoke his passion and enthusiasm to me. Lovely painting though. :)

I like the Serenade cover with him playing the guitar but maybe I'm
biased because I'm a guitar player :-) I also like the "Toast of New
Orleans" cover with that little red hat. :-)

On Dec 16, 5:45 pm, Derek McGovern <derek.mcgov...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We touched recently on RCA's curious practice of featuring lone photos
> of women on the front covers of various Lanza albums (Lanza on
> Broadway, A Kiss & Other Love Songs, Love Songs & A Neapolitan
> Serenade, etc). But what of their other Lanza album covers? Some of
> these have been tacky in the extreme. Take this Christmas album cover,
> for example (modelled disastrously on the Boris Chaliapin 1951 Time
> magazine cover illustration of Lanza), which must surely have scared
> potential purchasers away:
>
> http://mariolanza.googlegroups.com/web/The+worst+Lanza+LP+cover!!.jpg
>
> Little wonder that Lanza's mother asked RCA to replace it!!
>
> But what of their *better* covers? As I've mentioned before, I've
> always been very fond of the "Mario!" album cover. But just as good, I
> feel, is the painting of Lanza on the Caruso Favorites cover, which,
> to me, captures the lusty essence of the man:
>
> http://mariolanza.googlegroups.com/web/Mario+Lanza+Sings+Caruso+Favor...
>
> RCA was going through a mad painting stage at the time, and virtually
> every one of the Lanza albums they put out for a while in the early
> 1960s featured a painting of Mario rather than a photo (The Vagabond
> King, The Student Prince, The Best of ML, volumes 1 & 2, The Desert
> Song, I'll Walk With God, etc). Still, with the exception of a hideous
> Vagabond King cover, which can be seen here,
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Mario-Lanza-LP-The-Vagabond-King-S_W0QQitemZ38006...

ShawDAMAN

Dec 16, 2008, 7:47:19 PM12/16/08
to The Mario Lanza Forum
And yes the 'Time' magazine picture adaptation is wretched- I never
liked that picture to begin with but they managed to make it much
worse.... :-o And the "Vagabond King" cover looks like a trailer for a
cheesy 60's sci-fi movie..... ugh!

Maria Luísa

Dec 17, 2008, 11:36:25 AM12/17/08
to The Mario Lanza Forum
Here is my opinion Derek. The first photo is horrible, the second so
so, the third almost invisible... Often I see on youtube videos whose
photos on some of his CD's covers, which I do not own, seem to me in
fact very nice photos. Practically all the photos they decided to use
on Mario's CD's are very poor both in taste and quality to say the
very least. With a man with such a beautiful photogenic face how could
they, those who had the a say on the matter, have been so mean?
Frankly! It almost seems as if they "wanted" him to look bad... Where
he does look as beautiful as he effectively was is on Mario! Lanza At
His Best and on the Guardian Angels-Mario Lanza CD's covers. Two very
good covers. The first one with heavier traces but the same good-
looking of always and the other one extremely young and so more
beautiful. But then these two impeccable photos were taken from his
films, FTFT and TONO and being such that is the reason why his face
looks exactly as it really was.

On Dec 16, 10:45 pm, Derek McGovern <derek.mcgov...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We touched recently on RCA's curious practice of featuring lone photos
> of women on the front covers of various Lanza albums (Lanza on
> Broadway, A Kiss & Other Love Songs, Love Songs & A Neapolitan
> Serenade, etc). But what of their other Lanza album covers? Some of
> these have been tacky in the extreme. Take this Christmas album cover,
> for example (modelled disastrously on the Boris Chaliapin 1951 Time
> magazine cover illustration of Lanza), which must surely have scared
> potential purchasers away:
>
> http://mariolanza.googlegroups.com/web/The+worst+Lanza+LP+cover!!.jpg
>
> Little wonder that Lanza's mother asked RCA to replace it!!
>
> But what of their *better* covers? As I've mentioned before, I've
> always been very fond of the "Mario!" album cover. But just as good, I
> feel, is the painting of Lanza on the Caruso Favorites cover, which,
> to me, captures the lusty essence of the man:
>
> http://mariolanza.googlegroups.com/web/Mario+Lanza+Sings+Caruso+Favor...
>
> RCA was going through a mad painting stage at the time, and virtually
> every one of the Lanza albums they put out for a while in the early
> 1960s featured a painting of Mario rather than a photo (The Vagabond
> King, The Student Prince, The Best of ML, volumes 1 & 2, The Desert
> Song, I'll Walk With God, etc). Still, with the exception of a hideous
> Vagabond King cover, which can be seen here,
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Mario-Lanza-LP-The-Vagabond-King-S_W0QQitemZ38006...

Tonytenor

Dec 17, 2008, 12:16:47 PM12/17/08
to The Mario Lanza Forum
Very interesting subject, the Lanza album cover art. I think there
have been a number of very good ones and some rather bad ones. I have
always been fond though of the painting (drawing) of Mario on the Best
of ML Volume 2. Here is a link to it:
http://www.4shared.com/file/73562107/80f5c2fd/Best_of_ML_2__LP_cvr_pic_1a.html
> > > Favorites painting?- Hide quoted text -

Maria Luísa

Dec 18, 2008, 7:26:49 AM12/18/08
to The Mario Lanza Forum
You are quite right Tony this drawing, which I had never seen, is in
fact very beautiful. His profile (don't know if is the right word) is
correctly captured. That is Mario all right. I loved it.

On Dec 17, 5:16 pm, Tonytenor <tonyparting...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Very interesting subject, the Lanza album cover art. I think there
> have been a number of very good ones and some rather bad ones. I have
> always been fond though of the painting (drawing) of Mario on the Best
> of ML Volume 2. Here is a link to it:http://www.4shared.com/file/73562107/80f5c2fd/Best_of_ML_2__LP_cvr_pi...

Steff

Feb 11, 2013, 6:54:54 AM2/11/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
A while back we posted some very interesting magazine covers on another thread, and consequently I also thought about all the various record covers that exist.

Something I noticed is that especially the Italian releases often went without a photo of Mario on their covers, and I wonder if there's any reason for it (I am sure records sell much better with an artist's portray on the cover?). Maybe Armando knows why Italian RCA preferred covers without Mario?

However, there's one cover on a few Italian releases that has always caught my attention and that is one of my favourite covers (see below). It has Mario on it, and for some reason it is so different to all the others we know (no frontal shot). Can anybody tell me when it was taken? It does not look like a still from one of Mario's movies. Any idea?

What favourite covers do you have? Which one do you think did Mario justice and which one not?

Steff

Armando

Feb 11, 2013, 4:51:47 PM2/11/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com

Hi Steff: With regards to covers it’s pretty much the same world-wide. In America, for example, out of a total of approximately 47 releases, RCA had a photo of Mario, often the same one, on 22 albums.

I have 13 Italian LPs and on these they used a photo, again, with some repetitions, 9 times.

In Australia they repeated whatever the US did.

With a limited choice of colour photos, the same black and white portrait (the head shot is on the original Student Prince release) was used while the remaining covers had mostly paintings or drawings commissioned by RCA and which are much more costly than using a photo.

The photo on the cover you posted was taken in 1958.

Armando

Savage

Feb 11, 2013, 5:45:13 PM2/11/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
The first Lanza LP I purchased as a teenager was Caruso Favorites.  Since the actual cover had ratty corners from years of use, I cut out the painted picture of Mario and have it hanging in my garage over my turntable.  A great cover!

                                                                                              David

Michael McAdam

Feb 12, 2013, 9:34:28 PM2/12/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
I concur, David.....Derek and I have agreed to use this cover for an upcoming McAdam Sound Studio project.....stay tuned.

This topic twigged me to look on our accompanying website as I was sure we had a selection of Lanza record covers.
Voila! Our web design whiz, Lee Ann has built in shots of some great covers from releases in various countries. These can be found at the top of each page of the genre sub-links under the Discography link. Some of these covers have unique shots of Mario; quite different than the humdrum repetition of many of the North American releases. Check out Mario's 'pompadour' on the German Ave Maria release (no wonder Elvis' Priscilla, in her biography, said her husband's coiffe was inspired by his idol, Lanza).

Mike

leeann

Feb 12, 2013, 10:17:48 PM2/12/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Mike, I'm awfully glad you noticed the upgrade to the Discography section!  Big disclaimer, though with thanks:   I just make the space; it's Derek's cover selections and always grand content!

Just as a sort of segue--I was interested to learn on a segment of a BBC program about how the development of the long-play album in the 1960s and 1970s changed what musicians of all sorts--instrumentalists, soloists, groups--could do with their music. The program discussed, in part, how musicians began creating narrative arcs with words and music as they created albums (they particularly cite Bob Dylan, the Beatles, Miles Davis) rather than thinking of their work as more isolated singles.

As the long play album became an artform, then, so did covers change. While Lanza's recording covers were pretty typical of his era--head shots of the artist, in the era of the album, musicians and recording companies focused on album covers as artistic or thematic statements. The Lanza covers seem rather fascinating both as representative of the time in which he sang and as just because there are some awfully good (and fun) photos among them. Lee Ann

leeann

Feb 12, 2013, 11:53:37 PM2/12/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
I hit the send button, Mike, before saying how much I'm looking forward to the next McAdam Studio Sound project!  Lee Ann

Derek McGovern

Feb 24, 2013, 7:34:41 AM2/24/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Steff was asking a few posts back what our favourite Lanza album covers are.

Well, apart from the Caruso Favorites cover and the Mario! album (unflattering round shoulder where they cut out Zsa Zsa Gabor notwithstanding!), my favourite two LP covers are probably these two. Both of them feature great poses:

Barnabas Nemeth

Feb 24, 2013, 9:24:50 AM2/24/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Hi Derek, theese are my favourite covers, Barnabas

2013/2/24 Derek McGovern <derek.m...@gmail.com>
Steff was asking a few posts back what our favourite Lanza album covers are.

Well, apart from the Caruso Favorites cover and the Mario! album (unflattering round shoulder where they cut out Zsa Zsa Gabor notwithstanding!), my favourite two LP covers are probably these two. Both of them feature great poses:

Mario+Lanza.jpg
ML.jpg
ML1.jpg
ML2.jpg

Barnabas Nemeth

Feb 24, 2013, 9:43:16 AM2/24/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Does have some of you the compilation below:

How about the content and sound qualití? Barnabas

2013/2/24 Derek McGovern <derek.m...@gmail.com>
Steff was asking a few posts back what our favourite Lanza album covers are.

Well, apart from the Caruso Favorites cover and the Mario! album (unflattering round shoulder where they cut out Zsa Zsa Gabor notwithstanding!), my favourite two LP covers are probably these two. Both of them feature great poses:

Derek McGovern

Feb 24, 2013, 6:05:04 PM2/24/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Hi Barnabas

I'm not familiar with that CD, but the title and description (15 tracks) suggests it's a one-CD version of BMG/Harvest Music's excellent Encore! 2-CD set. According to amazon.com, it came out in 1995 (before the release of Encore!), so there are probably other members who have the disc.

It's very unhelpful of amazon not to list the contents of the CD!

Cheers
Derek

Derek McGovern

Feb 25, 2013, 6:58:17 AM2/25/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Getting back to album covers (and since the early links in this thread no longer work due to Google's overhaul of its Groups), here are some RCA LP covers that fall into the category of What on earth were they thinking?! The first four are dreadful, while the original (painted) 1958 cover of You Do Something to Me spoils a very fine collection by making Lanza look old and portly before his time, the Memories cover is a wacky mess, and The Best Of Mario Lanza painting doesn't even look like Lanza!

Younger than Springtime? Older than Winter, more like it! A very unflattering portrait.

Barnabas Nemeth

Feb 25, 2013, 7:45:01 AM2/25/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely agree with you. With lack of taste and talent, they have been deteriorating the image of the man, the artist.

Armando

Feb 25, 2013, 4:44:50 PM2/25/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com

Ciao Derek; Totally agree with you about the extremely poor art work and lack of imagination on the part of those cover designers. Considering the much higher costs of commissioning paintings with mostly unflattering results – the Favourite Arias and Albert Hall LPs paintings also fall in that category-one would think that RCA would have had someone sufficiently competent to at least choose some decent photos instead.  But then again, when you release an LP and label it The Best of Mario Lanza, when it’s far from it, I guess it gives you an indication of the competence of whoever was responsible for such momentous decisions!

Derek McGovern

Feb 25, 2013, 8:00:47 PM2/25/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Ciao Armando: Yes, on top of its poor painted cover (of a slight-looking Lanza), The Best of Mario Lanza was a pretty bad compilation! No thought went into the choice of tracks: RCA simply went for a representation of a dozen or so Lanza albums then in its catalogue, picking one familiar-sounding title from each album (e.g. And This Is My Beloved, Santa Lucia, Funiculi' Funicula') without any concern for whether the number was well sung. The same thing then happened with The Best of..., Vol. 2.

I do find it bizarre, though, that RCA's Lanza covers were so often tacky affairs. After all, a good cover helps to sell an album! Surely RCA was aware of that?

Incidentally, I find it interesting that the appalling Vagabond King album cover got changed at some stage to this:

It was certainly an improvement of sorts over that hideous green lettering on the original (1961) cover. I wonder when RCA changed it?

As for the painted covers, which were RCA's preference for about eight years (from the 1959 Student Prince onwards), I feel the only times the person on the cover actually resembled Lanza were on Caruso Favorites (though Shawn does have a point about the eyes looking a little dull), the 1959 Student Prince and The Desert Song. (The general artwork on those last two would never win any awards, though :)) Cheers, Derek

Derek McGovern

Feb 25, 2013, 8:15:33 PM2/25/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Here's a cover that I find outstanding (and worthy of the album's contents). What a shame it wasn't used in the US!

One cover that I can never make up my mind about is the Seven Hills of Rome album. The cover photo is taken from the film, and I've always found it simultaneously striking and disturbing---striking because of the vibrant colours (though, having said that, the colour does vary enormously from print to print), but disturbing because Lanza looks sallow and almost gaunt here:

Derek McGovern

Feb 25, 2013, 8:31:23 PM2/25/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
And just going off-subject slightly for a moment, these two RCA Italia albums have always impressed me. The covers are fine, but it's the contents that please me: Lanza's RCA, Serenade and For the First Time soundtrack recordings from Italian operas. Although there are a few duds (the Butterfly Love Duet, for example), and the title Arie da Opere Italiane (Vol 1. and 2) is misleading, given that not only arias are featured, we get to hear on these albums (for the only time) the two Otello arias side by side, as well as less frequently recycled fare such as the 1955 "Amor Ti Vieta" and Lamento di Federico, and the 1950 Force of Destiny aria. The two arias from Andrea Chenier are also featured here (together)---the only time the two RCA versions both appeared on a compilation until the 1999 Opera Arias and Duets CD.

My only regret about these two albums is that by limiting the material to Italian operas, a couple of outstanding recordings of arias had to be omitted: "M'Appari" and "Di Rigori Armato." Otherwise, these are impressive compilations that put RCA (America)'s often poorly compiled (and embarrassingly titled) 2-LP set Mario Lanza Sings Opera's Greatest Hits to shame!

Cheers
Derek

Armando

Feb 25, 2013, 9:38:35 PM2/25/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com

Hi Derek: I think the alternative Vagabond King cover came out in the mid -60s but it could have been later since the protective sleeve on my LP is dated 1976.

The Seven Hills cover is not bad- he looks far worse in the opening sequence of the film. I think that on the Caruso Favourites painting he looks slightly cross eyed.

As far as the two Italian LPs are concerned, even though the photo on volume 2 is the wrong way around, they show that the Italian branch of RCA had a much better idea of how to put together a compilation -an example are the three Rigoletto arias which are included in the correct sequence and not with Parmi Veder last as on the American release.

Derek McGovern

Feb 25, 2013, 10:11:12 PM2/25/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Ciao Armando: I think we'll have to get Mike to do something about Lanza's eyes on the Caruso Favorites cover, since he's planning to use that painting for his exciting new Mediterranean compilation! "Cross-eyed," "dull-eyed," etc, are not very flattering descriptions :) Mind you, the Seven Hills album cover photo isn't very flattering to Mario's eyes either! His customary sparkle is missing.

Not only did the Italian branch of RCA know how to put together decent compilations, but they also chose tasteful paintings for their (1980s) reissues of Mario! and Caruso Favorites as well, I feel:

Going back to Lanza's Christmas Hymns and Carols compilation album, it amazes me how often RCA changed the cover. For example, we had the hideous acne-scarred variation of the Time magazine cover caricature that I posted earlier, and Lanza's decapitated head (from a shot in Seven Hills later used for reissues of You Do Something to Me) shoved inside some prickly holly (ouch!), but also this gloomy and un-Christmassy snap from Mexico on yet another cover:

And then RCA finally came up with this painting, which is surely a vast improvement on the ghastly earlier covers:

Cheers
Derek

George Laszlo

Mar 26, 2013, 6:06:25 PM3/26/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
It looks like I'm running out of time to post things before the end of month deadline.

When people started to talk about album covers, I decided to do some research. So, here is a new video of nothing but Mario album covers. You will be able to see what year the album was released, the label name, record ID and the country of origin. I am not completely satisfied yet with this video. For example, it's now doing the Burns effect zooming in and out and I'm not sure that the song I chose is the best one to use. I'm open to suggestions on the latter front. Hope you enjoy it though!

George

P.S. - Derek, perhaps this would make sense to have a link on your main site. If so, please let me know how you'd like to see it improved.

Derek McGovern

Mar 26, 2013, 10:54:21 PM3/26/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Hi George

Goodness: what a labour of love! It's astonishing how many covers you've come up with (from legit albums to bootlegs).

Can I make a suggestion: rather than twice repeating that scratchy recording of the "Loveliest Night of the Year" on the accompanying soundtrack, why not feature three different recordings that showcase Lanza at his best? Perhaps a song, an aria, and a Neapolitan song instead to show off his versatility? Off the top of my head: the MGM version of the Student Prince Serenade, "M'Appari'", and (for a rousing finish) "Comme Facette Mammeta." Those three would fit in nicely with your 9:27 running time.

Just a thought!

As for linking to our main site, http://mariolanzatenor.com, if there's any way you can include the URL on YouTube (I'm not sure that you can), then be my guest! :)

Thanks,
Derek

Steff

Mar 28, 2013, 6:36:27 AM3/28/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Hi George,

Sadly, your video is blocked here in Germany!

Steff

Derek McGovern

Mar 28, 2013, 7:13:46 AM3/28/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steff: Germany must have some of the world's strictest copyright laws! I've been amazed by the number of times Lanza videos have been blocked in your country.

But I really can't understand why George's video, which contains a scratchy version of a 62-year-old recording, should be in breach of copyright! My understanding is that any recording older than 50 years is out of copyright in Europe (and in most other parts of the world---the USA being a major exception).

Cheers
Derek

George Laszlo

Mar 28, 2013, 7:45:50 PM3/28/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Derek, thank you for your suggestions on the music to use on the video. I have taken your advice and the results can be found here:

Note that I am now going to delete the video I posted the other day. I was not happy with that one anyway.

On the copyright front, a message did come up from YouTube that all three of the songs you suggested are the copyright of some other organizations. I disputed this with YouTube but I think that the video will not show up in some places (e.g. Germany). I will ask my son how to get around this. He lives in Geneva and has set up his computer there in such a way that it looks like he is actually still in the USA.

All others, please enjoy.
George

George Laszlo

Mar 28, 2013, 7:58:55 PM3/28/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Derek, I don't think that linking from YouTube to your site will work and the link would be in the wrong direction anyway. If you think that the video I've put together is interesting enough for general consumption, then you will have to create the link from your site to YouTube. I will not be offended if choose not to do so. George

George Laszlo

Mar 28, 2013, 8:04:08 PM3/28/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Derek, I found the following when I posted my video. Are you aware of the Joseph Toner connection?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOyEpEr077c

Published on Dec 6, 2012

The objections to this video have been resolved and we thank those involved for seeing the wisdom of their ways. And we also like to thank a good friend for her wise advice. i will write to her personally. This is the as it turns out exactly 1928 and only electric version made of Eileen with it's major pieces after the death of Victor Herbert. It is the only compilation of the Opera made until modern times. The so-called version by "Earl Wrightson" was released behind the Iron Curtain in West Germany well after about the 60's given the numbering on the recordings. The Canadian Recording we inherited should have been presented as a "show album" after the 1965 Supreme Court decision demanding such, as this was this album's intent, even though early. Once the North American Free Trade Agreement was made, even backfiling was required, with Canada or Mexico. Well now it is, the Show Album posthumously of EILEEN by Victor Herbert, of EILEEN. With an added attraction of the fact that we have Mario Lanza, as many many Opera Stars Sang Thine Alone, most of them Blue Bird recordings, and we will add more as we find them (there are more, even by the original singer in this album as he aged, not as good, but he did!) As a special treat the cover photo is that of the great grandaughter of the lead singer, playing the parts of Shawn Dru and somebody else whose name I cannot spell! This is one of the two grand operas of Victor Herbert, one which waited until the end of the last century for re-creation. Natoma was re-created by John Charles Thomas, in pieces for the Army and we will try to see if the NY PUBLIC LIBRARY will release it, as they now should!

You will sometimes see this young woman in photos, we called her "The FLAME" AS A NICKNAME, AND THAT HAIR IS REAL. It was traced genetically to be inherited from JOSEPH TONER, aka JOHN CHARLES THOMAS. The High Irish Tenor went by different names as he got older, and he is fantastic, my hats off to him, better than Lanza I must say, for the part. He is Richard Crooks, later James Melton, and finally Jimmy Carroll. You see many persons had to take many names in the theatre those days, something AEA, and AFTRA stopped.

George Laszlo

Mar 28, 2013, 8:29:13 PM3/28/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
OK, there was a comment on YouTube about the connection. Here it is:

Dolores Kaiser 2 months ago

Lanza was always in touch with Joseph Toner, sending him his most recent recordings, and I finally found out how they met-Lanza had been in "Winged Victory" in the war with him!

Also, in the Eileen video, there is a segment with Mario singing "Thine Alone" at roughly 26 mintues.

Message has been deleted

Derek McGovern

Mar 28, 2013, 9:44:47 PM3/28/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Hi George: I just had a quick look at your album covers video. Nice of you to change the recordings! But did you realize that you've used the 1959 version of the Student Prince Serenade, rather than the classic 1952 MGM recording? I'm attaching the 1952 recording to this post in case you're tempted to change it. (You may also want to substitute the "M'Appari" with a cleaner version, as it sounds very distorted. Just a thought.)

By the way, you should be able to add the URL to our main site (www.mariolanzatenor.com) under your description of the video's contents. (Since my earlier post, I've noticed other YouTube videos that feature URLs.)

I'm afraid that description under that Eileen compilation you linked to made no sense to me whatsoever! As for the claim that a baritone by the name of Joseph Toner (who, strangely enough, was also known by the name of John Charles Thomas---but was not the John Charles Thomas, the popular baritone singing during the same period) was in Winged Victory with Lanza, well, that's news to me! Given that this Toner fellow was born in 1894, I doubt very much that he would have been one of the enlisted men who made up that wartime cast in 1943-44, let alone the regular recipient of Lanza albums from the tenor :) Don't believe everything you read on YouTube!

Cheers
Derek
Serenade from The Student Prince (Mario Lanza, 1952).mp3

George Laszlo

Mar 29, 2013, 2:43:15 PM3/29/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Derek, thanks for the comments and the 1952 version of Serenade. I think that I will wait on updating the video for now. I have a suspicion that there are lots more album covers that will be found or have already been posted by others here. So, when the spirit strikes in the future, I will upload a new version.

Since there are only two days left for this group using the old approach, I do want to thank you for all the time and effort that has gone into the endeavor. And, of course, thanks to all the other contributors too, especially Steff and Leeann. I'm going to miss the back and forth.

George

Steff

Mar 29, 2013, 7:52:59 PM3/29/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Hi George,

I just had a quick look at your you-tube video and it works fine here on my end! Thank you.
I am going to have a look if I can find any release dates for the German LPs. I think I have most of them in my collection.

Steff

Derek McGovern

Mar 30, 2013, 7:11:18 AM3/30/13
to mario...@googlegroups.com
Hi George

Thanks for that. When your new version is up and running, feel free to drop me a line and I'll post the appropriate announcement.

I'll miss "the back and forth" too---and thank you for being one of the most prolific of our more recent members!

Cheers
Derek