MarcoPolo and OS X 10.7 Lion

dr.nixon

Jul 21, 2011, 9:17:40 AM7/21/11
to MarcoPolo Discussion
FYI to anyone looking to upgrade: The 2.5.1 build seems to be working
under Lion as well as it did under Snow Leopard. No issues so far.

Still hoping 3 makes it into production eventually. I use this utility
daily!

DJ RoSch aka. Lecro

Jul 21, 2011, 10:38:39 AM7/21/11
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Hey dr.nixon
had installed 2.5. under snow leopard now installed lion but 2.5 or
even 2.5.1 doesnt work.
when i want to open the settings just see the multicolor impeller
(don't know how to call it in english;) ) and nothing open....
Maybe sb know what to do?

sopi20

Jul 23, 2011, 1:12:16 AM7/23/11
to MarcoPolo Discussion
It does work - the only problem that I have is using the wifi related
options - toggling wifi does not work (growl notification shows it has
failed) and wifi detection does not work either. If there will be
someone kind enough to make a patched version, as the one that is out
for Snow Leo, I would be more than happy, as it really is driving me
crazy right now.....

cpressey

Jul 23, 2011, 8:57:29 AM7/23/11
to MarcoPolo Discussion
I just emailed the author of the app and he says he has no plans to
continue working on Marco Polo, which is a shame, but understandable
for a free app. Unfortunately, there's nothing even comparable to
this. It's a shame it didn't take off or get better recognition. When
working correctly, this is software one could charge for.

So for now I'm uninstalling and looking for a new solution.

David Symonds

Jul 23, 2011, 9:00:41 AM7/23/11
to marcopol...@googlegroups.com
Don't forget that MarcoPolo is free (as in speech *and* beer)
software, so someone else can take it over and continue work on it.
;-)

Dave.

Pressey Christopher

Jul 23, 2011, 9:12:46 AM7/23/11
to marcopol...@googlegroups.com
Didn't mean to imply I was faulting you, Dave - my point is it's a great chunk of software and it's a shame no one has jumped on board to keep it up. If I knew how, I would. =)

So for now, I wait. (And sigh now that I've realized just how many settings I have to now manually start changing daily as I travel around back and forth across network locations… yikes.)

=)

David Symonds

Jul 23, 2011, 9:14:07 AM7/23/11
to marcopol...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 11:12 PM, Pressey Christopher
<chris...@christopherpressey.com> wrote:

> So for now, I wait.  (And sigh now that I've realized just how many settings I have to now manually start changing daily as I travel around back and forth across network locations…  yikes.)

I think most of MarcoPolo still works, though. I know that the WiFi
evidence source is busted, and Bluetooth has always had problems, but
you could still just manually change contexts via the status bar menu.

Dave.

Chris

Jul 23, 2011, 12:29:33 PM7/23/11
to MarcoPolo Discussion
I've created a version for Lion based on MarcoPolo 2.5.1 that toggles
wifi quite happily, though the wifi scan is still broken. I'm working
on fixing it but this is the first time I've patched code and it's a
steep learning curve!

https://files.me.com/ctcampbell/ebjrh6

slwphoto

Jul 23, 2011, 8:10:54 PM7/23/11
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Still no dice for me - nothing happens when I change networks.

Chris Campbell

Jul 23, 2011, 9:05:19 PM7/23/11
to marcopol...@googlegroups.com
What evidence sources are you using to define your contexts?

slwphoto

Jul 23, 2011, 10:29:13 PM7/23/11
to MarcoPolo Discussion
WiFi - I travel between offices, so the only source I can rely upon is
the SSID.

Luckily I use an external monitor at my main office, so I can use that
to locate me at 'home base', but I have to set all others manually. I
have 7 total contexts, so it's a bit of a pain.

On Jul 23, 9:05 pm, Chris Campbell <hobbes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What evidence sources are you using to define your contexts?

Chris Campbell

Jul 24, 2011, 6:49:24 PM7/24/11
to marcopol...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I've fixed the wireless scanning as well now, same link as above will get you the new version. (files.me.com/ctcampbell/ebjrh6)

Chris.

slwphoto

Jul 24, 2011, 7:09:44 PM7/24/11
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Just installed and it works like a champ! Thanks for the quick patch
- you rock!

On Jul 24, 6:49 pm, Chris Campbell <hobbes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, I've fixed the wireless scanning as well now, same link as above will
> get you the new version. (files.me.com/ctcampbell/ebjrh6)
>
> Chris.

Emanuele Baglini

Jul 24, 2011, 7:25:58 PM7/24/11
to marcopol...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!!
Great job!!

I think that should be a good idea to add the reckoned code to the source code repo...

_
ing. Emanuele Baglini
be @head
eman...@be-ahead.it
www.be-ahead.it

Sent with iPhone

peskeguy

Jul 25, 2011, 9:04:57 PM7/25/11
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Nicely Done Chris,

Thanks for fixing it up, it's working perfectly for me so far.
David

On Jul 24, 6:49 pm, Chris Campbell <hobbes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, I've fixed the wireless scanning as well now, same link as above will
> get you the new version. (files.me.com/ctcampbell/ebjrh6)
>
> Chris.

Sina

Jul 26, 2011, 3:11:52 AM7/26/11
to marcopol...@googlegroups.com
That was great! I just missed WiFi scanning in these 3 4 days so much!!

Pressey Christopher

Jul 26, 2011, 10:16:28 AM7/26/11
to marcopol...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic - thank you!

Cheers,
Christopher

--
Christopher Pressey
Graphic Designer for Hire

Detroit, Michigan  |  Windsor, Ontario

On Jul 26, 2011, at 3:11 AM, Sina wrote:

That was great! I just missed WiFi scanning in these 3 4 days so much!!

DJ RoSch aka. Lecro

Jul 27, 2011, 5:39:45 AM7/27/11
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Hi Chris,

Wifi detection works now fine!! ;) Thanks a lot Great work!!!!
Another idea from me is maybe to add ssid's you are not actual
connected to. Something like a textfield where you are able to add the
ssid ;)

What about Bluetooth ? I Would be pleased if you would fix this too.

Greatz Roman

Dustin Rue

Jul 29, 2011, 10:16:08 AM7/29/11
to MarcoPolo Discussion
For everyone looking for an updated MarcoPolo, I've created created a
fork of the 2.5.1 version of the project and just put out my first
release. This first release fixes the WiFi evidence source but
disables bluetooth evidence source due to instability. It is also
64bit and Intel only.

I created the fork because I've been wanting to learn Objective-C and
needed a good reason. I love MarcoPolo but wanted it updated for Snow
Leopard and now Lion. Doing the work in a completely separate project
allows me to break and change things David probably wouldn't want
back.

Anyway, you can find my updated project at http://controlplane.dustinrue.com/.
Source code is hosted at GitHub and anyone is obviously welcome to
take the code and apply it to the original MarcoPolo code. To fix the
WiFi evidence source I simply used CoreWLAN which is only available in
Snow Leopard and Lion. Because of this, ControlPlane is not
compatible with PPC systems or anything running something older than
Snow Leopard.

Dustin