Atlanta Digital Libraries Meetup

Chad Nelson

Apr 19, 2012, 5:03:43 PM4/19/12
to malt...@googlegroups.com
Hey y'all

Anyone interested in an occasional informal Atlanta-area digital libraries meetup?  I am!

Hear what your colleagues at other institutions (or maybe even your own!) are up to, borrow and donate some ideas, and do it all in a friendly and social environment. At least, that's the idea.

So, if you'd like to help (start to) organize, or just want to let me know you be interested in coming, drop me a line,  cnelson17 AT gsu DOT edu or find me on twitter @bibliotechy.

Chad
Web Developer
Georgia State University Library

Catherine Downey

Apr 20, 2012, 9:46:44 AM4/20/12
to malt...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested in attending.

Catherine Jannik Downey
Head of Access Services
Georgia Gwinnett College Library
1000 University Center Lane, Bldg. L, Rm. 1133
Lawrenceville, Georgia 30043
cdo...@ggc.edu
678.407.5142 office
http://www.ggc.edu/library

Catherine Jannik Downey
Head of Access Services
Georgia Gwinnett College Library
1000 University Center Lane, Bldg. L, Rm. 1133
Lawrenceville, Georgia 30043
cdo...@ggc.usg.edu
678.407.5142
http://www.ggc.edu/library

Scott Gillies

Apr 20, 2012, 9:52:42 AM4/20/12
to <malta-atl@googlegroups.com>, malt...@googlegroups.com
Yeah me too

Sent from my iPhone

Susan Wells Parham

Apr 20, 2012, 12:25:02 PM4/20/12
to malt...@googlegroups.com
Sure!

Also, come on down to CURATEcamp on May 7 & 8...
--
Susan Wells Parham
Head, Scholarly Communication & Digital Curation Services

Kimberly Durante

Apr 20, 2012, 12:55:29 PM4/20/12
to malt...@googlegroups.com
Hey Chad and MALTA!

i would be interested in attending from Emory Libraries.
We are working on a few research data initiatives that i wouldn't mind
sharing some information about.

sincerely,
Kim Durante

Scott Gillies

Apr 20, 2012, 1:45:55 PM4/20/12
to <malta-atl@googlegroups.com>
I will be in Salt Lake then or I would

Sent from my iPhone

robin aka georgiawebgurl

Apr 20, 2012, 1:46:37 PM4/20/12
to malt...@googlegroups.com
Sure, I would be interested although I'm not actively working with digital libraries at the moment. I am interested in metadata + digital objects and web development related to that.
Curatecamp sounds really interesting but unfortunately, I can't make it...
robin fay
@georgiawebgurl twitter | G+
http://contentdivergent.blogspot.com

Turnbull, Scott

Apr 23, 2012, 8:22:16 AM4/23/12
to malt...@googlegroups.com
Hey there everyone,

I'd love to meetup sometime. How is everyone setup for Teleconferencing? Maybe we could also do occasional unconference?

- Scott Turnbull, Emory Libraries

So, if you'd like to help (start to) organize, or just want to let me know you be interested in coming, drop me a line, cnelson17 AT gsu DOT edu or find me on twitter @bibliotechy<http://twitter.com/#!/bibliotechy>.

Chad
Web Developer
Georgia State University Library

________________________________

prohibited.

robin aka georgiawebgurl

Apr 23, 2012, 8:55:48 AM4/23/12
to malt...@googlegroups.com
Or skype?
I like the unconference idea - kind of a digital libraries thatcamp?
robin  fay
@georgiawebgurl

Chad Nelson

Apr 23, 2012, 11:08:24 AM4/23/12
to malt...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Glad so many people are interested.

My idea for this meetup had always been unconference-ish, maybe even unconference-lite!

In order to keep the organizing overhead and cost low, and the ability to participate high, I'd suggest we meet in a bar or cafe that has a private meeting room, on a weekday evening once a month, or every other month. This way, no one has to organize (or pay for) the space, or catering, or cleanup, and since they are fairly regular, there are lots of opportunities to attend as well as present. So, really we'd just need two or three people to sign up for presentations each meetup, which I'm happy to coordinate, and then the organizing is done! I think this lightweight approach would help keep the organizing-inertia low, and thus keep these events happening.

I've been to a few developer meetups at Manuel's Tavern , which has free private rooms that can be booked and has a projector screen (though we'd need to get a projector), which has always been a friendly, laid back atmosphere. The only problem is that it isn't super close to MARTA, so it might be difficult for some to attend.

If people like the idea, I'll give Manuel's (or somewhere else if you have suggestions) a call, find out when they have spaces free, and try to set something up for mid-late May?

Chad

Chad Nelson

Apr 23, 2012, 11:10:20 AM4/23/12
to malt...@googlegroups.com
Susan,

Already signed up for CurateCAMP, it sounds like it is going to be a very interesting and a good time!

Chad

robin aka georgiawebgurl

Apr 23, 2012, 11:14:53 AM4/23/12
to malt...@googlegroups.com
Would it be possible to skype or stream the meetups for those of us who can't attend?
(I know may is scheduled up for me already...)
robin

Chad Nelson

Apr 23, 2012, 11:20:17 AM4/23/12
to malt...@googlegroups.com
Could try. Free wifi, so we can certainly us that to get on skype or a google hangout, though I make no money back guarantees about the quality of that stream! :{(

robin aka georgiawebgurl

Apr 23, 2012, 12:41:54 PM4/23/12
to malt...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great to me. I would appreciate it, especially if we have presentations. Tho I can't do May, I am willing to talk about semantic web stuff or embedded metadata for digital objects (exif, iptc, drm - that sort of thing - if there is interest)...
this is a great idea btw - I've been to a few drupal meetups (& thatcamps & other tech camps) over the years and they are great.
robin