Universal 3in1 Extruder Upgrade - Replicator 1 / Replicator 2 / Replicator 2X

DHeadrick

Aug 12, 2013, 1:11:25 PM8/12/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
The design is finalized and this will begin being offered very shortly.  You may have been following the original design which has been out for a while now for the Replicator 2 only.

Now it is available for all 3 replicators!!

The cost is the same but there are a couple of ways to order it.  You can order just the hardware and print out the extruder parts to try it (Hardware modules are $15 per extruder).  If you like it but want the durability and performance of the aluminum version, you can then upgrade and only buy those parts ($85 per extruder) and swap your hardware over.  Or you can buy everything all at once and be done with it ($100 per extruder and the kit is pre-assembled and checked for fit on a NEMA-17 stepper for quality control).

An order link will be up shortly, but I wanted to give people the heads up.

MadReasonable

Aug 12, 2013, 8:20:41 PM8/12/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I've been waiting...

DHeadrick

Aug 15, 2013, 10:13:58 AM8/15/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
The only thing preventing me from opening this up for orders at the moment is finishing the manual for those who which to print versions to see.  My goal is to have that done by Sunday.

DHeadrick

Aug 19, 2013, 12:31:04 PM8/19/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I successfully completed the download kit and the manual on the weekend.

Orders can now be taken here:
orders-3in1-extruder.davidheadrick.com

The manual can be found here:
manual-3in1-extruder.davidheadrick.com

The downloadable files (including the manual) can be found here:
files-3in1-extruder.davidheadrick.com

Peter McDade

Aug 20, 2013, 12:03:05 AM8/20/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
David,

Thanks for designing this, and I cant wait to get one in my hands for my Rep2.  Will be ordering one once I get to work in the AM.

Peter

DHeadrick

Aug 20, 2013, 11:54:18 AM8/20/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
The printable files are up on Thingiverse (as well as being available from the link on the order page.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:136423

DHeadrick

Aug 20, 2013, 1:12:41 PM8/20/13
to make...@googlegroups.com

Here are some of the exotic places from where the orders have rolled in ;)

Jamesarm97

Aug 20, 2013, 1:16:33 PM8/20/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Great documentation. Thanks.

DHeadrick

Aug 20, 2013, 1:33:03 PM8/20/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Light blue markers are Replicator 2 orders
Dark blue markers are Replicator 2X orders.

No Replicator 1 orders (yellow)
No Hardware only orders (red)

yet ;)

Guidozelf

Aug 20, 2013, 4:34:57 PM8/20/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Nice to see I'm an early adopter in my little country ;-)
Look forward have your upgrade installed alongside Bottleworks HBP and Alu arms!
Cheers, G.

DHeadrick

Aug 22, 2013, 12:48:29 AM8/22/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Yours is shipping along with 2 others tomorrow morning.  You should have it in a week.

DHeadrick

Aug 22, 2013, 2:20:09 PM8/22/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I've modified the file download archive (files-3in1-extruder.davidheadrick.com) to include the hardware list if people want to source their own.  I also made a couple of clarifications to the installation manual as per some suggestions received from others.

DHeadrick

Aug 22, 2013, 2:20:45 PM8/22/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Thank you BTW :)

David Clunie

Aug 22, 2013, 8:01:57 PM8/22/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
ordered mine! yay!
-david clunie

DHeadrick

Aug 27, 2013, 1:14:55 PM8/27/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I have updated the download-kit because I improved the bearing-removal-jig.  I periodically add additional information or changes for clarity to the manual and such.  It is a good idea to download a copy of the manual when you receive your kit in case the instructions in the kit are older than what's available.

Also, to save paper (and the planet), I will be making a 1 page simplified insert to include in each kit which will include a parts manifest (specific to the kit you ordered) and the link to the full manual.

Peter McDade

Aug 27, 2013, 1:20:10 PM8/27/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Sounds Great D,

Hopefully my kit arrives soon :)

Pete

DHeadrick

Aug 27, 2013, 1:35:21 PM8/27/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Your kit shipped on August 23rd.  I would expect it to arrive before September 6th.

Steve Johnstone

Aug 27, 2013, 7:16:59 PM8/27/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Just ordered the full upgrade for the 2X .... It can't come soon enough!

A very professional service Dave,

Cheers, Steve

PS - may be the first 2X user in the uk with this upgrade :)

DHeadrick

Aug 28, 2013, 10:44:39 AM8/28/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
So far, you will be the first 2X user using this kit in the UK.  There was one other order in the UK but it is for a Replicator 1 Dual.

Way back there was an order for a Replicator 2 kit in the UK, but that customer never paid and hence no joy :)

DHeadrick

Aug 28, 2013, 11:05:31 AM8/28/13
to make...@googlegroups.com

Updated map :)

Peter McDade

Aug 30, 2013, 3:18:40 PM8/30/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Well, I am using this kit now on my Replicator 2 and it is wonderful!  It replaced a cracked version of my design that was barely hanging on.  Now the printer is back up and running in less than 20 minutes!  Wonderful :)

Guidozelf

Aug 30, 2013, 3:21:32 PM8/30/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Good for you!
Still waiting for my delivery......

DHeadrick

Aug 30, 2013, 11:59:22 PM8/30/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I spoke to the manufacturer earlier today and the left side parts will be completed on Friday the 6th at the earliest and Monday the 9th at the latest. I should be able to kit them all up within a day and ship them by Wednesday. Those who ordered only right side parts should receive them soon if they haven't already as they have all been shipped.

Thanks for your patience.

DHeadrick

Sep 5, 2013, 10:26:52 AM9/5/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Still on target to pick up the parts tomorrow and should be able to ship all the kits on Monday/Tuesday.

I test printed the torture test with good results.  The only upgrades are the 3in1 Extruder and a glass build platform.

Scott Signore

Sep 5, 2013, 12:29:18 PM9/5/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Just received my extruder yesterday.  I can't wait to install it this weekend.
Does anyone have any reviews on it so far?

Jetguy

Sep 5, 2013, 12:43:05 PM9/5/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I'm in the process of a longer term review of my set.
I have both a printed version and the aluminum version. Both work great and provide adequate pressure and feeding of the filament.
I'll give a nod to the aluminum being smoother action with the rotating cam section simply due to surface finish compared to printed parts.
They give a really nice and clean look to the entire machine, are rock solid and should never have an issue.
Note that I am primarily testing on a Replicator 1 dual, but will have Carl's 2X mounting bar soon to mate to Carl's aluminum dual carriage.
This would be the equivalent of what I have suggested 2X owners upgrade to if they are having problems with PLA.
One advantage of this system is that the heatsink can also cool this block which also cools the motor.

I know there are a lot of extruder upgrades around and I personally have used printed versions forever in ABS, but this part is an upgrade from that to a lot more professional looking and operating unit. These get my vote!!!

DHeadrick

Sep 5, 2013, 2:43:13 PM9/5/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the support.  I just posted this to see if they will take me up on my challenge:

http://www.tested.com/forums/makerbot/457395-extruder-upgrades-dima-a-dozen-or-one-in-a-million/

I sincerely hope they do.

Scott Signore

Sep 5, 2013, 2:56:09 PM9/5/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Nice...  I am excited to get mine installed..  Maybe even tonight if I have some time.

Thanks

Scott Signore

Sep 5, 2013, 9:59:01 PM9/5/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Wooo Hooo.  Just installed mine..  Running my first test..   Now all I need is to find a Glass Build Plate.

Scott Signore

Sep 8, 2013, 6:57:02 PM9/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
 I was wondering is anyone else who purchased a 3 in 1 extruder is having any problems?

I can't seem to get a good flow of PLA filamant to extrude.
I have a replicator 2, and installed the 3 in 1 extruder.
I tried adjusting the set screw but still no luck.
So what happens is when I start a print, usually the raft is a nice thick layer, but now its a thin line that eventually just stops extruding. I attached a pic.

If any one has any ideas, I would really appreciate the input.
I would hate to have to just go back and reinstall the Makerbot spring lever extruder.

photo(4).JPG

Jetguy

Sep 8, 2013, 7:05:16 PM9/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Part 1, you should not need  to adjust the setscrew, the spring provides plenty of pressure on the filament against the pinch wheel.
Part 2, did you correctly ensure the filament path lines up with the hot end?
In doing so, did you move the pinch wheel out on the motor shaft as required to do the above?
Di you put the correct spacers between the motor and the rest of the extruder?

This sounds like a failure to properly install the new system, not a failure of the parts.

Scott Signore

Sep 8, 2013, 7:13:31 PM9/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Here is a pic of the gear installed

photo(5).JPG

Scott Signore

Sep 8, 2013, 7:16:56 PM9/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I tried unloosening the set screw all the way, and still no luck.
I installed the extruder exactly how the directions said..

I am at a loss.  It just seems like there is not enough tension being applied to the filament against the gear.

Scott Signore

Sep 8, 2013, 7:21:34 PM9/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
photo(6).JPG

Scott Signore

Sep 8, 2013, 7:33:55 PM9/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com

I wish it was as simple as an improper installation.
photo(7).JPG

Jetguy

Sep 8, 2013, 7:54:23 PM9/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Ok, but lets go to basic troubleshooting 101.
Was the extruder clicking indicating skipped steps?
If yes, then the pinch wheel is NOT slipping and is working as expected, the problem is in your hot end.

If NO, then there should have been chewed filament dust in the drive gear and on top  of the filament entrance into the hot end.
That would indicate the filament was slipping against the pinch wheel.

DHeadrick

Sep 8, 2013, 7:54:32 PM9/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com

From the outside, your assembly looks correct.  I'm at a loss as to what might be causing this.  You mentioned in one of your emails that the gear had slipped against the filement and that this caused plastic bits to stick to the gripper wheel.  Have you cleaned those off thoroughly?  If they are still there, they will reduce the amount of "bite" the teeth can get on the filement.

When you release the bearing with a hex key, does the mechanism operate freely?  If not, you may need to disassemble it at clean out whatever may be causing the mechanism to stick.  The mechanism should move very smoothly like in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9miwEBzYHlI

Also, you could verify that the spring is installed correctly... there is a rounded end and a beveled end on the dowel pin that the spring pushes on.  The rounded end should be the one pushing on the bearing holder.  The beveled end is the one that the spring will rest against.

Just some thoughts of things you can verify.  As I mentioned in the email, the setscrew should be able to make 4 complete turns before the threads run out.  This should be enough adjustment to provide plenty of force.  If you stop the filement from loading with pliers, the gripper wheel should never slip against the filament and instead the stepper motor should miss steps and click.  If you can get this to happen, then the extruder is performing correctly and your printing problem is lower down in the assembly (thermal barrier/nozzle/build platform).  While you have the extruder loading filament, can you set it up so this occurs?

Scott

Sep 8, 2013, 7:57:03 PM9/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
There is no clicking
Yes I do see some filament dust.

Sent from my iPhone

DHeadrick

Sep 8, 2013, 8:02:15 PM9/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I would recommend re-aligning the gripper wheel with the bearing.  As seen in the video, it practically aligns itself if you let the bearing rest in the valley in the gripper wheel.  Before you tighten the setscrew in the gripper wheel, wiggle the gripper wheel so that the bearing seats itself in the middle of that valley.  Tighten the setscrew and then actuate it as seen in the video.  If this procedure is followed, you should be able to get maximum bite from the gripper wheel and prevent it from slipping and grinding out the filement.

Scott

Sep 8, 2013, 8:04:55 PM9/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Ok let me try this

I did have filament dust, but I removed the gear and cleaned it with a toothbrush.

Sent from my iPhone

DHeadrick

Sep 10, 2013, 1:25:58 PM9/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
The manufacturer had a small delay but will let me know shortly if I can pick the parts up at the end of the day today.  If not, They will be ready at lunch Thursday (he is closed on Wednesday because he teaches a course).

Scott Signore

Sep 10, 2013, 1:59:01 PM9/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Ok thanks

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 10:25 AM, DHeadrick <davidhe...@gmail.com> wrote:
The manufacturer had a small delay but will let me know shortly if I can pick the parts up at the end of the day today.  If not, They will be ready at lunch Thursday (he is closed on Wednesday because he teaches a course).

Steve Johnstone

Sep 10, 2013, 2:01:15 PM9/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
No worries, my printer is being repaired on your side of the pond anyway.

Thanks for keeping us updated

Jetguy

Sep 10, 2013, 2:15:04 PM9/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I actually meant to post a note I found during installation last night.
The bearing rollers on a cam type system. You must be carefull when installing the extruder over the motor and over the pinchwheel to ensure you attempt to compress the cam either using a hex key via the unload hole, or alternatively, press on the cam lever via the hole in the side of the block.
The bottom line is that it is possible to incorrectly assemble and when that happens, the cam may be bound up against the pinch wheel in an "over center" arrangement.
Again, it's criticial to verify that during installation, you can move the cam against the spring. If not, then you must loosen the screws until you can compress the cam, then retighten the mounting screws. It should move freely.

BTW, you might as well go all aluminum right?
Final install with QU-BD heatsinks and fans.
Test printing

So, Yes, I would say they work extremely well. I did initially find that I could misalign the system but a healthy dose of common sense checking during installation could save you a lot of headache.
Now, before folks start saying I have them flipped left and right, YES, I know, I purposely needed to clear the upper X rail in this bot design and therfore I am using a non-standard mounting.
57mm nozzle to nozzle VS stock 33mm.

DHeadrick

Sep 10, 2013, 2:27:04 PM9/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'm thrilled to see your custom extruders mounted.  Looks good!

Steve Johnstone

Sep 10, 2013, 2:44:13 PM9/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jetguy, did you print that in ABS or PLA?... looks fantastic!

Jetguy

Sep 10, 2013, 2:52:09 PM9/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
ABS, I don't even try in PLA, too much ooze.

DHeadrick

Sep 11, 2013, 11:28:43 AM9/11/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I will be picking up the parts Thursday at lunch and will be able to assemble kits all Thursday evening.  Hopefully I can ship all the kits out Friday.

David Clunie

Sep 11, 2013, 2:29:48 PM9/11/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Nice.  I was just about to send an email and ask about the status of the update ;) excellent man!

-david c.

DHeadrick

Sep 12, 2013, 2:26:53 PM9/12/13
to make...@googlegroups.com

Parts are picked up and I will begin assembling the kits with the plan to ship them Friday.  I have 25 to ship immediately (half of the production run).  If interest remains steady, I will make another run as I start to sell off the remaining kits.

Jetguy

Sep 12, 2013, 2:42:16 PM9/12/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Nice spacers!!! And easier to install than the prototypes (not saying it was hard, just anything that makes it easier is better).

DHeadrick

Sep 12, 2013, 2:49:13 PM9/12/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, the old round spacers had a tendency to fall down into the pocket with the wires for the thermocouple.  Or worse, they would fall through there and under the platform in the bottom of the printer.  This part should be easier to keep track of during assembly/dis-assembly.  Thanks for the suggestion, it ended up costing the same as the round spacers anyway with much more value.

How is everything coming together for your NY trip?

DHeadrick

Sep 12, 2013, 3:01:22 PM9/12/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I just noticed a discrepancy between my order form and my Paypal invoices.

My order form states that each extruder module is $88 and each hardware module is $12.
My Paypal invoice charges people $85 per extruder module and $15 per hardware module.

I just corrected the Paypal invoice to match the order form ($88/$12).  So far there has only been one person who ordered only a hardware module and was overcharged $3 (everyone else bought equal multiples of extruders/hardware so the error cancels out).

Jetguy

Sep 12, 2013, 4:14:07 PM9/12/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
The trip to Maker Faire is all set now that the extruders are in place. Every test so far has been amazing.
Now working on the pretty stuff of the machine, mounting the electronics, putting on all the covers.
And, there is massive work on the interface a try out some Newhaven OLEDs instead of the stock LCD.
I figure the contrast of the display will matter when we are out in the open in the 3D printing village.
On top of that, James Armstrong made an amazing advancement in that he has firmware that can speak status updates (pause function, end of print) right now, but hoping to see what we can add before Maker Faire. https://groups.google.com/d/msg/3dprintertipstricksreviews/MYHUqcLzRY8/3bf6F4HBmQMJ
Print paused @ Z:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNR3_4z9-Zk
Print continuing after filament change:

That is done with the Emic 2 text to speech module connected to an extra UART running a modified version of Sailfish that only fits on mega2560s.

So not only will this print well, but it will be the most advanced Replicator based machine to date.

Scott Signore

Sep 12, 2013, 10:41:40 PM9/12/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jetguy,

I will be in New York for the Makers Faire..
Let me know where you will be.

Scott

Steve Johnstone

Sep 13, 2013, 8:06:59 AM9/13/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jetguy,

What printer have you fitted these to?

Is this you own design... looks pretty substantial!

Jetguy

Sep 13, 2013, 8:26:46 AM9/13/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I called it the "Ulti-Replicator" since many core components are directly from the Replicator 1 Dual, but also the main motion design is inspired by Ultimaker.
But it's more than just a merge of the components. The Z stage was inspired by Leapfrog Creatr.
I'm going to try to release a complete open source design based on this work, although it should be noted that the entire extruder carriage for the now current Igus rail was made completely by hand tools.
In other words, I don't have CAD for any of that and it would take me a few days of measuring to get it right and attempt to make a CAD model.
Again, the main core components are Replicator 1 Dual:
Complete extruder system (note the only difference is the nozzle spacing and the fact the heater blocks are QU-BD)
Mightyboard rev E modified with a mega 2560 instead of the stock 1280.
Custom Sailfish firmware (even different from what most folks run)
Soon to be custom LCD and Control panel
Toshiba wireless SD card
DIY Drones (AKA 3DR) telemetry radios for complete wireless control instead of USB

Also need to add the P-stop feeder system for both extruders (but that's external and can be plugged in at any time).

The frame is just a bunch of 80/20 20 series rails and connectors. While I hand cut and drilled 1/4 inch aluminum plates, they were made from laser cut templates I did in wood and acrylic for the initial tests and design phases. I plan on releasing those DXFs open source, but keep in mind, all they do is form the mounting for the shafts, bearings, idlers, and motors. I can also release the previous version of the extruder central carriage.

DHeadrick

Sep 13, 2013, 9:07:02 AM9/13/13
to make...@googlegroups.com

Just a few pics of the parts before the kits get shipped out...

Wingcommander whpthomas

Sep 13, 2013, 10:07:02 AM9/13/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
David,

Full marks to you for this kit, it is very professionally done and I am really impressed by how much effort you have put into perfecting your design, which by all accounts is working well and providing all the extra benefits of adjustment and access to the pinch wheel. Well done!

DHeadrick

Sep 13, 2013, 10:21:50 AM9/13/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!  This means a lot coming from the originator of the extruder upgrade.

Steve Johnstone

Sep 13, 2013, 10:39:56 AM9/13/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
+1 on the above.

I'm really looking forward to getting mine. My bot is due back next Wednesday.

So....  what's your next project???

Steve Johnstone

Sep 13, 2013, 10:55:24 AM9/13/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Dave - you should be please with your achievement... that fact that Jetguy has chosen it for a custom (none Makerbot) design really says something.

Jetguy - That's impressive. Considering your experience and attention to detail it's going to be one heck of a printer.

If you do go open source on this I would be more then happy to help out with the CAD side of things as it would be great to be able to give a little back the community.

You wouldn't believe how muck I have learnt from you all over the past couple of weeks. I'm really looking forward to putting some of it into practice.

sa...@sldmodels.co.uk

Sep 13, 2013, 11:16:40 AM9/13/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, my extruder is clogged with old plastic I think. been trying to
leave the heat element on in the hopes it would melt it out, but it
doesn't appear to be working. is there another way to clear it before I
start hacking at it with something?

Sarah

Wingcommander whpthomas

Sep 13, 2013, 11:26:22 AM9/13/13
to make...@googlegroups.com, sa...@sldmodels.co.uk
Is there another way to clear it before I start hacking at it with something?

Sarah,

Have you tried the toothpick method? http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:56597

sa...@sldmodels.co.uk

Sep 13, 2013, 12:00:39 PM9/13/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
nope, but will do thanks.  i've actually got some allen keys on screw driver handles that are thin enough to use sometimes, but I do worry I might break something if I'm too rough.

Sarah

Sarah Davis

Sep 13, 2013, 2:49:31 PM9/13/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Tried a few things now. Think I just need to be patient and keep the heat going till it all melts away. Couldn't find what I was looking at the supermarket, so inprovised with cocktail sticks and safety pins. The tooth picks they had weren't right, the alternative ones were too flexible. New extruder should be with me Saturday or early next week, it arrived in London yesterday.

Sarah

Sent from my iPhone

Joseph Chiu

Sep 13, 2013, 3:20:53 PM9/13/13
to make...@googlegroups.com

Stop!

Like cheese, heat will melt the plastic for a while, then more heat will eventually cook it until it becomes a hard and crusty mess.

Find a guitar string, and work carefully.  (See, for example, what I did with an Up! Printer: http://toybuilderlabs.com/blog/2013/8/23/unclogging-the-up-extrudernozzle)

Sarah Davis

Sep 13, 2013, 3:45:42 PM9/13/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I get what you mean, almost like a circular cheese cutter. Will try again in the morning assuming the new extruder hasn't come by then.

Sent from my iPhone

DHeadrick

Sep 14, 2013, 12:35:52 PM9/14/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
The kits are taking longer than I expected to prepare for shipping.  They are almost done now and will ship on Monday Guaranteed!  Thanks for your patience.

DHeadrick

Sep 15, 2013, 11:36:51 AM9/15/13
to make...@googlegroups.com

Everything is packaged up and will be going to the post office today so they will ship first thing in the morning.

delleps

Sep 15, 2013, 2:41:08 PM9/15/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Which one of those packages in your photo is mine? ;o)

I'm looking forward to installing them on my 2X and having better print reliability. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Jim

On Monday, August 12, 2013 10:11:25 AM UTC-7, DHeadrick wrote:
The design is finalized and this will begin being offered very shortly.  You may have been following the original design which has been out for a while now for the Replicator 2 only.

Now it is available for all 3 replicators!!

The cost is the same but there are a couple of ways to order it.  You can order just the hardware and print out the extruder parts to try it (Hardware modules are $15 per extruder).  If you like it but want the durability and performance of the aluminum version, you can then upgrade and only buy those parts ($85 per extruder) and swap your hardware over.  Or you can buy everything all at once and be done with it ($100 per extruder and the kit is pre-assembled and checked for fit on a NEMA-17 stepper for quality control).

An order link will be up shortly, but I wanted to give people the heads up.

DHeadrick

Sep 16, 2013, 12:52:23 PM9/16/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Just a confirmation that all packages have shipped!

DHeadrick

Sep 16, 2013, 12:55:19 PM9/16/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
One is being held pending special shipping requirments (timing) and 2 are still awaiting payment, but the other 20 are on their way :)

DHeadrick

Sep 18, 2013, 4:27:08 PM9/18/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Now that the bulk of kits have been shipped, I've had a couple of days with actual free time :)

I guess I really will have to think of a new project to tackle ;)

David Clunie

Sep 18, 2013, 4:52:24 PM9/18/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
x-axis cable replacement/repair kit? ;) (only because i need a replacement right now apparently hehe)

:D

DHeadrick

Sep 18, 2013, 5:09:00 PM9/18/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking along the lines of a lighter direct drive extruder unit.  The Bowden design has too little control over the filament extrusion and the Nema-17 stepper motor is heavy.

I will need to investigate the x-axis cable because I've been lucky to not need one yet, but I purchased the kit from extrud3d.com as a precaution (haven't had time to assembly it yet).

AGG

Sep 19, 2013, 9:18:01 PM9/19/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Received and installed for less than 5 min. Works great. Thanks!
The Aluminum arms and AluCarriage are almost here... I cannot wait to test them all.

DHeadrick

Sep 20, 2013, 12:23:00 AM9/20/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! This is the first time I've actually seen it in a 2X! Glad you like it.

Keep the photos coming everyone!

DHeadrick

Sep 23, 2013, 3:52:56 PM9/23/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
This comment made my weekend:

Jetguy

"A better extruder option is the 3in1 Universal Upgrade."

As seen at Maker Faire working wonderfully in front of hundreds of folks including the MakerBot staff who came by to check it out.
In fact, Melody ( the previous moderator) pointed out the 3 in 1 extruder upgrade to others. In other words, she knew exactly who made it. So that is good that those support folks at MakerBot are extremely aware of the upgrades and who made them.

BTW, the MakerBot folks are so cool to meet in person!!!!

I just wanted to say to Makerbot (if they monitor this thread), that I am open to the possibility of offering this upgrade in bulk directly so that it can ship pre-installed in your Replicator series of printers.

Steve Johnstone

Sep 23, 2013, 5:46:03 PM9/23/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Nice one David,

Mine arrived on Friday, hoping to install it tomorrow. The quality of the machining looks fantastic!

It would be great is MakerBot took you up on your offer, even if the offered it as an optional upgrade.

My 2X has been printing really well since i got it back on the stock set up, although I'm now using Sailfish firmware and Simplify3D.

Steve

billyd60

Sep 23, 2013, 9:46:53 PM9/23/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I did not receive my package yet. The one sent to New Bern NC

Should I have it by now?

Bill D.

DHeadrick

Sep 24, 2013, 1:42:00 AM9/24/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I shipped your kit on Sept 16th.  It usually takes 2-3 weeks to arrive.  You should get it between Sep 30 and Oct 7.  If you don't have it by Oct 7, send me an email and I'll help you track it down.

delleps

Sep 24, 2013, 5:21:44 PM9/24/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I received my left and right extruders for my 2X today. Along with the two pre-assembled extruder blocks is a plastic zip-lock bag labelled Right Extruder and one labelled Left Extruder. The Left Extruder bag contains two bolts. The Right Extruder contains two bolts, a plastic printed oval and a metal shim (?). Neither of the two "extra" pieces in the Right Extruder bag are referenced in the instructions (online or otherwise). I'm assuming that I don't need these extra bits?

Thanks,
Message has been deleted

DHeadrick

Sep 24, 2013, 5:33:10 PM9/24/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
You do need them.  They are referenced on Pg 2 in the note under Step 3.  I'll attach an image showing more clearly how they are assembled on the right extruder.

DHeadrick

Sep 24, 2013, 5:44:21 PM9/24/13
to make...@googlegroups.com

These parts are installed on the right extruder ONLY before completing Step 4
(The bevelled edges on the plastic part face away from the motor).

delleps

Sep 24, 2013, 5:45:49 PM9/24/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
DOH! Now I see the reference. The illustration is tiny so a larger version would be helpful.

Thanks!

DHeadrick

Sep 24, 2013, 5:54:18 PM9/24/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
The additional parts are to make up the difference in thickness between the 2 blocks (the left extruder block is 2mm thicker than the right extruder block).  This is because the right extruder block was originally designed for the Replicator 2.  These parts will only be included with Replicator 1 and Replicator 2X kits until the initial batch is completely sold.  For the next run, the blocks will both be the same design and thickness and these retrofit parts will be obsolete.

That image is pretty small.  I was trying to keep the manual down to no more than 3 pages because it wouldn't fit in the shipping envelope.  However, now that the kit includes a single page and the manual is downloadable, I will add enlarged versions of all the images at the end in an Appendix B.

BTW, when I get down to the last 10 kits, I will post a warning here so that I can get a feel for how many to make in the next batch.

delleps

Sep 24, 2013, 6:00:40 PM9/24/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
You answered my next question before I had a chance to ask. :o)

Thanks for the quick response!

DHeadrick

Sep 24, 2013, 7:09:07 PM9/24/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
No problem.  I just didn't want you to waste your time and have to take everything apart again just to install the extra parts.

billyd

Sep 24, 2013, 9:53:05 PM9/24/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Got it today, thank you! Looks great.

delleps

Sep 25, 2013, 12:57:33 AM9/25/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I installed both extruders and made test prints from each.

Flawless.

Thanks, David! Well done!

DHeadrick

Sep 26, 2013, 2:15:04 PM9/26/13
to make...@googlegroups.com

Thanks again to everyone who has ordered!  There are currently 56 in the wild (one custom kit - Jetguy).

Scott Signore

Sep 26, 2013, 2:24:43 PM9/26/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hey David, Would you say the default position for the set screw would be flush to the housing?

DHeadrick

Sep 26, 2013, 3:19:22 PM9/26/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I send them out flush, but evidently every printer is slightly different.  The Replicator 2 here has the set screw a little less than 1/8" sub surface (approximately 2 turns).

I should be receiving the kit you shipped back any day now (You mentioned that it was going to be mailed on Sep 11th).  When I get it, I will check it over and then install it on my Replicator 2.  I can ship you the one I take off if you want.  Either way, I'll email you with my findings once I get it.

billyd

Sep 26, 2013, 9:49:45 PM9/26/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
My hobbed gear is on really tight, can't get it off. Got the set screw out, but it won't budge. I tried some heat, but it didn't work

DHeadrick

Sep 26, 2013, 10:09:53 PM9/26/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
What tools do you have available to you?  Do you have needlenose vise grips?  Or Channel Lock Pliers?

billyd

Sep 26, 2013, 10:12:49 PM9/26/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Never mind I got it.

Next problem the picture show a rectangular part that goes below the shaft and sits between the heat sink and the stepper. Is this replaced by the phenolic spacers? If I stack the thick washers, the phenolic spacers and the thin washer it is still shy of flush to the outer plane of your aluminum block.

DHeadrick

Sep 26, 2013, 10:17:59 PM9/26/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Have you downloaded the full manual?  On the third page under Step 7 there are 3 pictures.  Each picture is for a specific printer.  You should be following the middle image which is for the Replicator 2.

DHeadrick

Sep 26, 2013, 10:19:43 PM9/26/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Full manual:

manual-3in1-extruder.davidheadrick.com

I may have sent you the first manual which is specific to the Replicator 2 (but it should still work).
It is loading more messages.