Thank You!/Retail Magic

Ewen Cluney

Jan 18, 2013, 5:28:10 PM1/18/13
to maid...@googlegroups.com
It's been a while since we did much with this place, but there are a few new things I wanted to share.

First off, I want to give a big thank you to our supporters. You can read a bit more in the blog post below, but basically a timely Maid RPG royalty check is the reason I can afford to attend my sister's upcoming wedding.

I'm also working on a new game that uses the base rules of Maid RPG. It's called Retail Magic, and in it you play employees at a magic item shop. It's hard to say how far the project will go, but Kamiya has given his blessing, so if the actual game comes together (I'm doing my first playtest tomorrow!) we may be actually publishing it.

 -- Ewen Cluney

Grant Chen

Jan 18, 2013, 6:26:22 PM1/18/13
to maid...@googlegroups.com
Looking forward to the possible Kickstarter!

 -- Ewen Cluney

Legion Zero

Jan 18, 2013, 6:34:29 PM1/18/13
to maid...@googlegroups.com
This excites.

Wilson Lin

Jan 19, 2013, 3:03:26 AM1/19/13
to maid...@googlegroups.com
So something like the game Reccetear?

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Ewen Cluney <ew...@neko-machi.com> wrote:

 -- Ewen Cluney

Powergaming: Because you can't roleplay when you're dead.

Andy Kitkowski

Jan 19, 2013, 10:49:01 AM1/19/13
to maid...@googlegroups.com
Wilson: It seems that way! And I'm also 100% in on getting this in whatever form Ewen releases it in.

Unless it's like written on strips of human flesh or something. Because Yech. But otherwise...

Ewen Cluney

Jan 19, 2013, 2:40:21 PM1/19/13
to maid...@googlegroups.com
The way it's shaping up now it's going to have a set of optional "Commerce Rules" for playing something like a tabletop Recettear, but it'll also have styles of play that are more like Maid RPG with a store/employees/boss instead of a mansion/maids/master.

 -- Ewen

Blue

Jan 19, 2013, 4:12:42 PM1/19/13
to maid...@googlegroups.com
Despite being thoroughly broke-ass, I would LOVE to see a game like that. I look forward to hearing how the playtest goes!

Sauvagine

Jan 21, 2013, 7:12:16 AM1/21/13
to maid...@googlegroups.com
     I could see a variation on "Favor" being "Store Credit."  Thus, the Favor costs for dipping into the stocks (getting a random item, for instance) are actual counts against your income.
     Does this mean that male PCs will be more common?  Also, is there an equivalent to the Butler?  (Like Manager or HR?)

--
Edmund Wilfong

"In a little while you will be alone in shoreless space, to wander its limitless solitudes without friend or comrade forever - for you will remain a thought, the only existent thought, and by your nature inextinguishable, indestructible.  [...T]here is no God, no universe, no human race, no earthly life, no heaven, no hell.  It is all a dream - a grotesque and foolish dream.  Nothing exists but you.  And you are but a thought - a vagrant thought, a useless thought, a homeless thought, wandering forlorn among the empty eternities!"
-The Mysterious Stranger, Mark Twain

"Welcome to reality.  The paradise of repressed dreams."
-The Psychiatric Clinic for Abused Cuddly Toys

Ewen Cluney

Jan 24, 2013, 5:07:10 PM1/24/13
to maid...@googlegroups.com
I am working on a random item table (though writing up 216 items is going to take some time), and making it so that spending Favor (or "Kudos" as I'm tentatively calling it) can net you the use of an item.

I set chargen up so that you can simply decide on your character's sex. I ended up making separate Male and Female hairstyle Special Quality subtables, with instructions to just use whichever one you think fits your character (so having a female character with a shaved head or whatever isn't out of the question). Right now I'm not seeing a need for character types beyond the boss and employees, and unless something really jumps out at me I'll probably save and such thing for a future supplement or some such.

 -- Ewen

Sauvagine

Jan 24, 2013, 6:51:04 PM1/24/13
to maid...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Ewen Cluney <ew...@neko-machi.com> wrote:
I am working on a random item table (though writing up 216 items is going to take some time), and making it so that spending Favor (or "Kudos" as I'm tentatively calling it) can net you the use of an item.

I set chargen up so that you can simply decide on your character's sex. I ended up making separate Male and Female hairstyle Special Quality subtables, with instructions to just use whichever one you think fits your character (so having a female character with a shaved head or whatever isn't out of the question). Right now I'm not seeing a need for character types beyond the boss and employees, and unless something really jumps out at me I'll probably save and such thing for a future supplement or some such.

 -- Ewen

     I follow your line of thinking, generally.  Although. on reflection, the Butler might be good for an actual adventurer.  Why is an actual adventurer working for the shop?  Well, there's a bundle of reasons (six of them, in fact).  However, that would tend to distract from the main thrust of the game, so it'd be understandable in its absence.