Two challenges for the Strava-thletes among us

Mike Greiner

Oct 17, 2012, 3:12:05 PM10/17/12
to Let's Ride Fort Collins
Hi Riders,

I signed up for my first two Strava challenges:
Need all the help I can get to keep it rolling as the temps go down. Join in if you are so inclined...

Route suggestions for the 79-miler?

Mike

Klaus Muehlbradt

Oct 18, 2012, 8:35:35 AM10/18/12
to lets-r...@googlegroups.com
79 miles... could roll to Greeley. Or Estes. Or Boulder.

Not so sure about the 60 hours in 3 weeks.

Mike

Hal Hansen

Oct 20, 2012, 11:59:06 PM10/20/12
to lets-r...@googlegroups.com
Not to bring up sad experiences but the thought entered my mind -  the Laramie Enduro course is 72.5 miles.

Hal

Oct 29, 2012, 3:02:32 PM10/29/12
to lets-r...@googlegroups.com
A handful of us are doing a full moon ride tomorrow evening.  Planning on meeting at the dog park at Spring Canyon Park at 7 and looping Pineridge before heading up Maxwell and riding Shoreline.  Time permitting, we'll also loop Reservoir Ridge / Michaud.

Bring a light for emergencies or in case the moon is obscured by clouds, but don't plan on using it if the moon is out.
I believe some riders may be in costume, so feel free to dress up if you feel so inclined.  (Mike G, is your blue tux bike friendly?)

For those with Facebook, here is the event page:

Mike Weber

Broker Associate
Keller Williams Realty of Northern Colorado
Fort Collins, Colorado
www.RedTeamKW.com

Klaus Muehlbradt

Nov 5, 2012, 11:14:55 PM11/5/12
to lets-r...@googlegroups.com
Done. Over and finished. To make this happen I rode +3 hours every day, yes - every day, for 2 weeks. My typical commute was 21 miles (one way). A few days I went for a bit longer. Stuck in memory is commute home via Loveland - Mason (too fast, needed to add a town loop) and a weekend of two 5h rides.

So, 60h in 21 days can be done. However, it means doing nothing but working, biking and sleeping. It also means burning legs are continuous and the desire to do something else than biking is continuously increasing. Point in case: Mike and Wade drove me hard on Saturday's 20 mile loop. I did initiate a sprint back to the parking lot - for only one reason: a chance to go fishing for maybe an hour before dark. (Yes, I did catch some.)

Mike Greiner

Nov 14, 2012, 11:06:28 AM11/14/12
to Let's Ride Fort Collins
Well done to Klaus on the 60 hour Strava challenge!

Now it's on to the next, the 79-mile challenge one-day ride in the 11/16 to 11/18 window:

Riders -- where are we going? If Saturday is the day, we're looking at a high in the mid-40s.

Ideas I've heard:
  • ride to Boulder for a burger, roll home
  • something similar with a Lyons route
  • Pingree Park and back (see http://app.strava.com/activities/9575781 for a one-way)
  • ride one-way to Nebraska (perhaps just over the border near Pine Bluffs, WY) and get evac'd back home (offering dinner or some other enticement to the driver)
  • Jeff's brutal, largely offroad route + 10 (Man Route, will require lights)
Other ideas? Who's in?

Mike

Klaus Muehlbradt

Nov 14, 2012, 7:34:58 PM11/14/12
to lets-r...@googlegroups.com
In! Of course.

Hal Hansen

Nov 14, 2012, 11:54:05 PM11/14/12
to lets-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm in.

Hal

Nov 15, 2012, 9:30:06 PM11/15/12
to Let's Ride Fort Collins
Here's a Boulder route (45 miles, one-way): http://goo.gl/maps/lfrj5

And a Strava activity search: http://goo.gl/0SqEc

There are lots of boxy loops from FC out east and then either north or south and back too.

Preference?

Mike

jl

Nov 15, 2012, 11:01:59 PM11/15/12
to lets-r...@googlegroups.com
You should ride out to Steve's bike shop in Greality (Roubaix).  Get some coffee at Margie's Java Joint, and then head back to Fort Collins via Milliken.

-Jeff