A simple department website in Jekyll

Alexandre Rademaker

Sep 27, 2011, 11:59:29 AM9/27/11
to jeky...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

I am professor at an Applied Mathematics School from FGV at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Our current website is http://emap.fgv.br/

I am planning a completely redesign of our website and I am considering the static generation approach. Jekyll is the best solution so far. Especially if I take into account that I have already experience with it in my own personal website.

It seems like a crazy idea adopt static site generator instead of Drupal, Joomla or other CMS. Does anyone have experience using Jekyll for more than a personal website?

I wonder if the site structure can be more complex than the basic suggested structure at:

https://github.com/mojombo/jekyll/wiki/usage

For instance, we have regular seminars. Is it possible to have a text file with custom yaml front matter fields to each seminar and have all these files been processed to generate a list of seminars as Jekyll do for blogs? We will probably need something similar for our courses and pages about students. I don’t think that our content will be more dynamic than that.

Any suggestion or comments are welcome!

Cheers,

Alexandre

Jonathan "Duke" Leto

Oct 5, 2011, 9:37:15 AM10/5/11
to jeky...@googlegroups.com, Alexandre Rademaker
Howdy,

Yes, Jekyll can make the site that you describe.

Basically, you will create a different layout for every different kind of page
you will have, and then in the yaml front matter, tell each page to use each
different kind of layout.

Duke

PS: If you have more questions, feel free to contact me off-list.

> --

Jonathan "Duke" Leto <jona...@leto.net>
Leto Labs LLC
209.691.DUKE // http://labs.leto.net
NOTE: Personal email is only checked twice a day at 10am/2pm PST,
please call/text for time-sensitive matters.

Joshua Eveleth

Oct 7, 2011, 10:48:15 AM10/7/11
to jekyll.rb
Ditto to what Jonathan noted. For what it's worth, our company uses
Jekyll to generate the marketing side of our site (http://
crowdflower.com/). It's been pleasantly flexible.

On Sep 27, 8:59 am, Alexandre Rademaker <aradema...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am professor at an Applied Mathematics School from FGV at Rio de Janeiro,
> Brazil. Our current website ishttp://emap.fgv.br/

rubenvincenten

Oct 5, 2011, 5:12:18 PM10/5/11
to jekyll.rb
Hi there,

You could possible make use of some liquid code to extract the data
you want from an associative array that you define in an included file
with just a YAML front matter. Or you could just define the
variables / associative array in the source and use a template
approach for this (like Jonathan suggested).

On 27 sep, 17:59, Alexandre Rademaker <aradema...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am professor at an Applied Mathematics School from FGV at Rio de Janeiro,
> Brazil. Our current website ishttp://emap.fgv.br/

Sandy McMurray

Oct 5, 2011, 10:16:00 AM10/5/11
to jekyll.rb
Hi Alexandre,

Have a look at http://developmentseed.org to see what's possible with
Jekyll.
Info about the site design is here: http://developmentseed.org/blog/2011/09/09/jekyll-github-pages

I'm just trying to learn Jekyll for a simple personal blog. This
impressed and inspired me.

Sandy McMurray
http://techstuff.ca
edi...@techstuff.ca