JDK 11 is now in Rampdown Phase one

Rory O'Donnell

Jul 2, 2018, 5:06:55 AM7/2/18
to mand...@gmail.com, rory.o...@oracle.com, Dalibor Topic, Balchandra Vaidya, Muneer Kolarkunnu, jacoco-dev@googlegroups.com >> JaCoCo Developers List

Hi Evgeny,

JDK 11 is now in Rampdown Phase one
The overall feature set is frozen. No further JEPs will be targeted to this release.We’ve forked the main-line source repository, jdk/jdk, to the jdk/jdk11 stabilization repository. Any changes pushed to jdk/jdk or jdk/client are now bound for JDK 12.

  • For more details , see Mark Reinhold's email to jdk-dev mailing list [1]
  • The Rampdown Phase one process  [2].

Note: - Early-Access build archive format on Windows has changed to zip.

Since our last email the following JEPs have been targeted to JDK 11 :
  • 181: Nest-Based Access Control
  • 315: Improve Aarch64 Intrinsics
  • 330: Launch Single-File Source-Code Programs
  • 331: Low-Overhead Heap Profiling
  • 332: Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.3
  • 333: ZGC: A Scalable Low-Latency Garbage Collector (Experimental)
  • 335: Deprecate the Nashorn JavaScript Engine
  • 336: Deprecate the Pack200 Tools and API

Other important changes since last email:

Build 19:
JDK-8205043 : G1 enables adaptive parallel reference processing by default
Build 18:
JDK-8196141 : Add GoDaddy root certificates
JDK-8204243 : remove Thread.destroy() and Thread.stop(Throwable)
JDK-8202088 : Japanese New Era Implementation
Build 17:
JDK-8189949 : Remove Baltimore Cybertrust Code Signing CA
JDK-8191031 : Remove several Symantec Root CAs
JDK-8072996 : Deprecate stream-based GSSContext methods
Build 16:
JDK-8191844 : Remove SECOM root

Rgds, Rory

[1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk-dev/2018-June/001509.html
[2] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk/11/#Schedule

Evgeny Mandrikov

Aug 21, 2018, 10:11:13 AM8/21/18
to JaCoCo Developers
Hi Rory,

Please excuse us for long silence - as an apology we can say that based on our active testing of JDK 11 Early Access builds, we simply haven't seen bugs to be reported ;) We also started testing JDK 12 EAs, furthermore we plan to do JaCoCo release this week with experimental support for Java 11 and Java 12 class-files.

I also experimented with JEP 309 "Dynamic Class-File Constants" and believe that this will be quite useful for us - maybe we'll manage to start using it near JDK 11 release.
Also was closely following discussion led by Rafael Winterhalter around removal of "defineClass" that doesn't directly affects us, but discussion pretty well summarizes  use-cases including ours, so hope/believe this will be addressed one day.

Coming back to bug reports: in past we asked backport [1] of JDK-8144185 [2] into JDK 8 and was quite happy that it was done, but unfortunately recently realized that this is not enough [3] , because there is another similar problem affecting almost the same users - JDK-8073658 [4]. So wondering if might be possible to also backport fix for JDK-8073658 into upcoming JDK 8 update ?

Regards,
Evgeny

Rory O'Donnell

Aug 22, 2018, 2:52:11 AM8/22/18
to jacoc...@googlegroups.com, rory.o...@oracle.com

Hi Evgeny,

Let me look into it, it may take some time, I can't promise anything.

Rgds,Rory

Rgds,Rory O'Donnell
Quality Engineering Manager
Oracle EMEA, Dublin,Ireland

Rory O'Donnell

Aug 23, 2018, 11:30:09 AM8/23/18
to jacoc...@googlegroups.com, rory.o...@oracle.com

Hi Evgeny,

I forgot to ask - have you considered contributing the backport to the jdk8u OpenJDK project yourself ?

Rgds,Rory

Evgeny Mandrikov

Aug 23, 2018, 2:50:02 PM8/23/18
to jacoc...@googlegroups.com, rory.o...@oracle.com
Hi Rory,

Didn't thought about this, but will be glad to try. OCA was signed thanks to contributions to JMH and Sulong, preparation of patch shouldn't be a problem, just need to learn/go thru the rest of the process. After reading http://openjdk.java.net/contribute/ I assume that just need to post RFA (?) with patch to jdk8u-dev (?) looking for sponsor (?) and someone will react?

Rory O'Donnell

Aug 24, 2018, 3:30:36 AM8/24/18
to Evgeny Mandrikov, jacoc...@googlegroups.com, rory.o...@oracle.com

Hi Evgeny,

You should start a separate review with his new patch on compil...@openjdk.java.net first.

Ensure the JDK compiles and that the test cases runs & passes. The JDK 9 patch won't work in current format on JDK 8u.

Once that's complete, you can start a jdk8u push approval request on jdk8...@openjdk.java.net. See http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk8u/approval-template.html

Rgds, Rory

Evgeny Mandrikov

Aug 24, 2018, 7:32:34 AM8/24/18
to Rory O'Donnell, jacoc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I'll work on it this weekend.

Evgeny Mandrikov

Aug 29, 2018, 3:29:12 AM8/29/18
to JaCoCo Developers
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to jacoco-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Rgds,Rory O'Donnell
Quality Engineering Manager
Oracle EMEA, Dublin,Ireland

Rory O'Donnell

Aug 29, 2018, 5:57:33 AM8/29/18
to jacoc...@googlegroups.com, rory.o...@oracle.com, Dalibor Topic, Balchandra Vaidya, Muneer Kolarkunnu

Hi Evgeny,

Thanks for taking this on.

I looked at the email and I suspect the patch was scrubbed, there might have been a problem with the MIME type identification. I believe most mailing lists allow plain txt patches.

Secondly, you should state "JDK 8u" - not "JDK 8". Can you confirm that you are working from this forest :
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8u/jdk8u-dev/langtools

Rgds, Rory
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to jacoco-dev+...@googlegroups.com.

Evgeny Mandrikov

Aug 29, 2018, 6:39:32 AM8/29/18
On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 11:57 AM Rory O'Donnell <rory.o...@oracle.com> wrote:

Hi Evgeny,

Thanks for taking this on.

I looked at the email and I suspect the patch was scrubbed, there might have been a problem with the MIME type identification. I believe most mailing lists allow plain txt patches.

Secondly, you should state "JDK 8u" - not "JDK 8". Can you confirm that you are working from this forest :
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8u/jdk8u-dev/langtools

And yes - I'm working with jdk8u-dev, but in above email made a typo by saying
instead
:( however they look identical to me - tip is rev 7031ed34a604 , which is parent for commit in patch, so I guess can skip spamming of list with one more clarification email.

Regards,
Evgeny

Evgeny Mandrikov

Evgeny Mandrikov

Aug 31, 2018, 11:19:58 AM8/31/18
to jacoc...@googlegroups.com, rory.o...@oracle.com, dalibor topic, Balchandra Vaidya, Muneer Kolarkunnu

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 9:27 AM dalibor topic <dalibo...@oracle.com> wrote:
Yes, thanks!

On 30.08.2018 20:03, Evgeny Mandrikov wrote:
> Hi Rory,
>
> Am I right that with this positive review
> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/compiler-dev/2018-August/012337.html
> can start a jdk8u push approval request?

And thank you, guys, for this well-guided welcome!

Looking forward to other opportunities to help/contribute.

Regards,
Evgeny

Rory Odonnell

Aug 31, 2018, 11:43:56 AM8/31/18
to jacoc...@googlegroups.com, dalibor topic, Balchandra Vaidya, Muneer Kolarkunnu, Rory O'Donnell
Well done Evgeny, here's to many more contributions!

Rgds, Rory