Re: Ability to maintain long standing MoSH sessions?

Dean Beeler

Dec 17, 2012, 1:09:27 PM12/17/12
to is...@googlegroups.com
If iSSH is complaining about active open connections, it's safe to ignore these (or turn them off under general settings.) You shouldn't be losing connections at all. I have a session I started about a week ago still active on my iPhone.

Dean

On Monday, December 17, 2012 7:39:02 AM UTC-8, Alex Brown wrote:
Mosh is interesting and iSSH is my first experience with it.  My understanding is it can along with lossy response improvements maintain sessions over a long period of time.
WIth iSSH, the active session list still times out my connections via whatever mechanism it uses now.  When I then reconnect, it (Mosh) says that there are other active sessions, but I am not connected to them anywhere.
Can I reconnect to them or have iSSH leave my session open forever until it is really disconnected?

I may totally be missing something but so far I am not getting the predictive typing (Seen the other posts) or the long standing connections..  So hoping for a better use case.

Thanks!

Alex Brown

Dec 17, 2012, 5:10:04 PM12/17/12
to is...@googlegroups.com
I see the following:

Linux li135-145 2.6.39.1-linode34 #1 SMP Tue Jun 21 1
0:29:24 EDT 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS

Welcome to Ubuntu!
* Documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/
Mosh: You have 6 detached Mosh sessions on this serve
r, with PIDs:
- mosh [22759]
- mosh [19058]
- mosh [17933]
- mosh [18019]
- mosh [18140]
- mosh [18421]

So, if I leave the app closed for a while, it disappears from active sessions. If I hit close, then of course the connection is closed in active sessions. Either way, the number of active sessions the servers indicating are open increases every time either happens.

What should be the expected experience?

Visa Harvey

Dec 17, 2012, 5:55:12 PM12/17/12
to is...@googlegroups.com
The session should become active as soon as you go back to it in issh, with the reconnection handled seamlessly. Been working fine for me too, barring the odd glitches others have mentioned when connection is poor.

Alex Brown

Dec 18, 2012, 7:48:04 AM12/18/12
to is...@googlegroups.com
Oddly it is working better now. Need to try other scenarios. First I restarted my iPad, but also on WIFI now vs a cellular modem. Should I be able to turn off networking and have it stay active when I turn it back on like the MIT video?

Will play more with my iffy cell connection that had me writing this post.

Dean Beeler

Dec 19, 2012, 3:28:12 PM12/19/12
to is...@googlegroups.com

But the phone is using an awfully lot of power when iSSH-mosh is in the background even though it should essentially do nothing at all as a background process?

Not sure what it is but it can't be iSSH. When only mosh connections are active, iSSH doesn't even run in the background anymore. There's no need. It simply stores the state the mosh connection was in and then is consequently suspended by the operating system.

It seems that when a lot of content is changed at once, the screen just stops updating and the connection is essentially lost. This does not happen on my iPhone, only iPad. Both are iOS 6.0.1, the phone is an iPhone 4S and the tablet iPad 2.

Are you using different networks on the iPad verses the iPhone?

b) on the iPad, the connection is lost in the background without any decent explanation

If iOS terminates iSSH (that is, ejects the suspended app from memory) due to memory limitations and other apps needing that memory, this is going to happen. The only way around it would be for iSSH to store the connection data (encryption key and all) to disk when backgrounded.

c) on the iPad, the connection seems to be dropped when a lot of stuff changes on the screen

This is interesting. I haven't been able to replicate this but I'll give a shot. I've tried with ninvaders (curses Space Invaders) and I haven't seen any problems yet. I'll keep looking.

Dean

George Hills

Jan 10, 2013, 4:49:02 PM1/10/13
to is...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dean,

I am also seeing much faster battery drain when I have a backgrounded iSSH with a mosh session open. I agree with you that this cannot be caused by iSSH actually running, since the OS suspends it.

I think what happens, is that UDP packets from the server are still arriving at the iOS device regularly, and causing it to spend more time awake & with the wifi/3G radio out of power-saving mode dealing with them.

A friend recently experienced a similar problem while using an iPad with the rather unusual situation of an unfirewalled public IP address on its 3G connection. The steady "background" traffic of random hack attempts and pings from the Internet caused noticeably faster battery drain.

Cheers