Hooghly2015Mar01sk01 : Euphorbia what ?

surajit koley

Mar 1, 2015, 12:07:43 PM3/1/15
to efloraofindia
This is often planted on roadside SHIV-MANDIR or some other diety. I couldn't find spine on the stem and branches, probably due to age. I didn't have scale or ruler with me. But leaves are, I think, more than 8 cm.

Photographs were taken on 28.02.2015.

Thank you
Regards
surajit

DSCN9453.jpg
DSCN9454.jpg
DSCN9455.jpg
DSCN9458.jpg
DSCN9459.jpg
DSCN9461.jpg
DSCN9463.jpg
DSCN9465.jpg

surajit koley

Mar 2, 2015, 10:37:41 AM3/2/15
to efloraofindia
Leaves are about 15 cm in length. All visible branches near the periphery bear no spine.
Thank you
Regards
surajit

Ushadi Micromini

Mar 3, 2015, 3:38:12 AM3/3/15
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
I cant think of anything other than my be euphorbia antiquorum?

dont know if it can grow in the ganges delta though

usha di

On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 10:37 PM, surajit koley <surajitno...@gmail.com> wrote:

Usha di
===========

Tapas Chakrabarty

Mar 3, 2015, 5:40:01 AM3/3/15
to Ushadi Micromini, surajit koley, efloraofindia
Kindly forward this message to Dr. N. P. Balakrishnan for expert opinion: npba...@gmail.com

surajit koley

Mar 3, 2015, 11:11:43 AM3/3/15
to Ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Didi,

It can't be E. antiquorum because 1) stem is not 3 angled, 2) number of cyathium as explained by Balakrishnan Sir in another thread. It's overall look, I think, rather similar to E nivulia. But then again number of cyathium per peduncle and prickle are problems I think.

Thank you
Regards
surajit

surajit koley

Mar 3, 2015, 11:15:53 AM3/3/15
to Tapas Chakrabarty, Ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Sir, I am forwarding it to Balakrishnan Sir.

Regards

surajit

surajit koley

Mar 3, 2015, 11:23:31 AM3/3/15
to Nambiyath Balakrishnan, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
Sir,

This is a crooked shrubby plant found on roadside. The appearance is like that of a crooked E. nivulia. But, I couldn't find any spine on its trunk and branches. I have examined several branches. The leaves of this plant is about 15 cm long.

Upon receiving Tapas Sir's advice I pray to you for your opinion regarding this species.

Thank you

Regards

surajit koley
DSCN9453.jpg
DSCN9454.jpg
DSCN9455.jpg
DSCN9458.jpg
DSCN9459.jpg
DSCN9461.jpg
DSCN9463.jpg
DSCN9465.jpg

Ushadi Micromini

Mar 3, 2015, 11:23:59 AM3/3/15
to surajit koley, Tapas Chakrabarty, efloraofindia
e nivuluia is supposed to have five ridges, isn't it?
your stems here are round

ushadi

so theres the rub
lets see what experts say

--
Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Mar 3, 2015, 11:27:41 AM3/3/15
to Ushadi Micromini, Tapas Chakrabarty, efloraofindia
Didi,

We have the KEY to Euphorbia in our database - https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/species/a---l/e/euphorbiaceae/euphorbia. According to that KEY, please see key-13a, E nivulia would have rounded stem.

Thank you
Regards
surajit

Nambiyath Balakrishnan

Mar 5, 2015, 1:37:26 AM3/5/15
to surajit koley, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
Dear Surajit
I have examined the details as can be seen in the photos. It appears to be near to E. nivulia but there are differences.
Your plant does not show any indication of spines, not even remnants of fallen spine clusters.
Further the cyathia are all solitary, whereas in E. nivulia, they are mostly in diads or triads.
Therefore, I am unable to identify this species. Probably it is an introduced species.
N. P. Balakrishnan

surajit koley

Mar 5, 2015, 2:02:42 AM3/5/15
to Nambiyath Balakrishnan, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
Sir,

I also noted the two differences, of spines and number of cyathia, nowhere I could find that cyathium can be single in E. nivulia. I will keep a watch on this particular plant and upload photographs of fruits when I find one. Also will note if any inflorescence develops triad cyathia.

Thank you very much Sir. I am also grateful to Tapas Sir.

With regards

surajit

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 5, 2015, 3:34:14 AM3/5/15
to Nambiyath Balakrishnan, surajit koley, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
The cyathia very much resemble E. nivulia, both in colour, peduncle length, glands, etc. Even cyathia are in pairs as we can see scar of fallen one, we can even see vestiges of two cyathia on the top of peduncle on either side of central cyathium. Even leaves resemble. The only feature not seen is the spines, which can't be ignored in this genus.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

Ushadi Micromini

Mar 5, 2015, 3:48:46 AM3/5/15
to Gurcharan Singh, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, surajit koley, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
do you think we may have another Burbank in our own West Bengal temple yards?

so that the trees dont need their thorns?

usha di
--
Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Mar 5, 2015, 9:38:38 AM3/5/15
to Ushadi Micromini, Gurcharan Singh, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
Thank you Gurcharan Sir, thank you Didi.

What is Burbank?

I will follow the development of this plant. Meanwhile more photos, recorded on last Monday.

Regards
surajit

DSCN9478.jpg
DSCN9481.jpg
DSCN9482.jpg

Ushadi Micromini

Mar 5, 2015, 10:28:28 AM3/5/15
to surajit koley, Usha Rajagopalan, Na Bha, Gurcharan Singh, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
Well , Nobody seems to have caught that...
you are the only one who asked...Surajit

Burbank is a city in california named after Luther Burbank... a humanist, horticulturist,  Botanist and my hero.. ever since I read about him in one of the numerous american magazines my dad used to get..I was may  in grammar school..or younger... i was very impressed with the.. spinless cactus  its a   part of a small write up at this url... they have been writing about him since about 1901... wiki has a page ...   and more intense and human interest and science related write up is in this book Rupa publications book . called THE SECRET LIFE OF PLANTS...  reading this book sparks interest in many things including Botany plants and their living systems /processes ...

he was spiritual and used to tell his spiny nasty plants that they did not need the thorns, he was not going to hurt them and he would protect them... several generations later the thornless plants were emerging..

( I dont want to argue with any self-styled  the hard nosed non-believers about this, so nobody should bother attacking me) ... (its a fact or a myth, if you read  mythology like ramayana and mahabharata, bible, old testament stories etc  and believe them then where 's the problem with Burbank???))

Surajit... his spineless plants reverted back after his death!!!

====
SO my comment was tongue in cheek reference that::   ?? are the temple folks in India generating spineless euphorbia ??? in their yards like  so many Modern day Burbanks....

be well

usha di

===
--
Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Mar 5, 2015, 10:50:12 AM3/5/15
to Ushadi Micromini, Usha Rajagopalan, Na Bha, Gurcharan Singh, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
Didi,

I googled and found that Burbank is US city. Rest of the story is wonderful, I love it, be it fact or fiction.

Thank you very much.

Regards

surajit

surajit koley

Mar 7, 2015, 8:24:06 AM3/7/15
to Ushadi Micromini, Usha Rajagopalan, Na Bha, Gurcharan Singh, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
Sir,

I apologize. This shrub or crooked tree has spines. But, I confirm only 10% branches or less bear spines. I have checked all accessible branches today. A few bear spine at the green apical region, spines in the same branches are missing at lower part. Spines are about 5 mm. Attached here a new set, recorded today.

Thank you very much for bearing with me.

Regards

surajit

P1140681.jpg
P1140682.jpg
P1140683.jpg
P1140685.jpg
P1140686.jpg
P1140687.jpg

Nambiyath Balakrishnan

Mar 7, 2015, 9:17:22 AM3/7/15
to surajit koley, Ushadi Micromini, Usha Rajagopalan, Na Bha, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
Dear Surajit,
The new  photos clearly show minute spines. Also the cyathia show two buds on either side indicating that they are in triads.
Therefore you can confirm that the species is E. niuvlia.
N. P. Balakrishnan

surajit koley

Mar 7, 2015, 9:33:46 AM3/7/15
to Nambiyath Balakrishnan, Ushadi Micromini, Usha Rajagopalan, Na Bha, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
Sir,

I am grateful to all of you. This is a wonderful learning session. I have never before realized that number of cyathium is the most important KEY in this genus.

I thank you very much. I thank Tapas Sir, Gurcharan Sir and Usha Di and all. I wish to believe Burbank is not all fiction, at least in aged tree.

Respectfully yours

surajit

Ushadi Micromini

Mar 8, 2015, 8:10:05 PM3/8/15
to Nambiyath Balakrishnan, surajit koley, Usha Rajagopalan, Na Bha, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
Surajit
you are consistently persistent
I like that a lot

so now we have the definitive diagnostic feature

well I like the conclusion  Dr Balakrishnan.

usha di
--
Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Mar 8, 2015, 9:53:40 PM3/8/15
to Ushadi Micromini, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, Usha Rajagopalan, Na Bha, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
Good morning

Thank you very much Didi

Regards

surajit

surajit koley

Mar 18, 2015, 1:31:19 PM3/18/15
to Ushadi Micromini, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, Usha Rajagopalan, Na Bha, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
Sir,

This is the current state of the tree, photographed today. The tree is yet to develop any fruit.
P1140797.jpg
P1140800.jpg
P1140802.jpg
P1140804.jpg
P1140806.jpg
P1140809.jpg
P1140810.jpg

Nambiyath Balakrishnan

Mar 19, 2015, 12:13:57 PM3/19/15
to surajit koley, Ushadi Micromini, Usha Rajagopalan, Na Bha, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
Dear all,
These pictures further confirm that the plant is Euphorbia nivulia.
N.P. Balakrishnan

surajit koley

Mar 19, 2015, 1:23:40 PM3/19/15
to Nambiyath Balakrishnan, Ushadi Micromini, Usha Rajagopalan, Na Bha, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
Thank you very much Sir.

Regards

surajit

Ushadi Micromini

Mar 19, 2015, 11:38:31 PM3/19/15
to surajit koley, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, Usha Rajagopalan, Na Bha, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
Dr Balakrishnan
Thank you
this case was educational

usha di
--
Usha di
===========

Ushadi Micromini

Mar 19, 2015, 11:39:09 PM3/19/15
to surajit koley, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, Usha Rajagopalan, Na Bha, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
Thanks for your persistence , Surajit
i learned something

usha di
--
Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Mar 20, 2015, 10:20:49 PM3/20/15
to Ushadi Micromini, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, Usha Rajagopalan, Na Bha, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
Thank you Didi, it was a wonderful experience to record gradual changes in the inflorescence of this Euphorbia.

Regards

surajit

surajit koley

Apr 8, 2015, 1:39:46 PM4/8/15
to Ushadi Micromini, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, Usha Rajagopalan, Na Bha, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
Sir,

I have recorded fruit pictures of this Euphorbia nivulia on the day before yesterday.

I thank you all very much.

With regards

surajit
DSCN9490.jpg
DSCN9491.jpg
DSCN9492.jpg

Ushadi Micromini

Apr 8, 2015, 1:48:48 PM4/8/15
to surajit koley, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, Usha Rajagopalan, Na Bha, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
very nice

usha di

--
Usha di

surajit koley

Apr 8, 2015, 3:19:37 PM4/8/15
to Ushadi Micromini, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, Usha Rajagopalan, Na Bha, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
Thank you again Didi
Regards
surajit