Feb2015sk09 Hooghly - Euphorbia sp. ID please

surajit koley

Feb 5, 2015, 9:36:50 PM2/5/15
to efloraofindia
I photographed this tree on the 21st Dec., 2013. The tree was found on roadside, cultivated/planted. As can be guessed from the photograph about 20 ft or more tall.

Euphorbia antiquorum L.? Or since it is more than 4m tall tree it is E. ingens ? Or something other?

Thank you
Regards
surajit

P1080130.jpg
P1080131.jpg
P1080132.jpg
P1080133.jpg
P1080135.jpg
P1080138.jpg
P1080139.jpg

surajit koley

Feb 6, 2015, 10:33:16 AM2/6/15
to efloraofindia
A new set, photographed today.
Thank you
Regards

P1140035.jpg
P1140037.jpg
P1140038.jpg
P1140040.jpg
P1140041.jpg
P1140042.jpg

Tapas Chakrabarty

Feb 11, 2015, 11:24:14 AM2/11/15
to efloraofindia

Feb 12, 2015, 1:41:42 PM2/12/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Tapas Chakrabarty
Sir,

Thank you very much for taking care of this tree. I have full faith on you and Balakrishnan Sir.  I have also read the note of Balakrishnan Sir about the limitation of identifying a species only by images. I fully agree.

I have one last request -
though Roxburgh's Euphorbia arborescens is considered as a synonym of E. antiquorum L., Flora Indica informs it can grow to a pretty large tree, with a round distinct trunk.
Secondly, Haines informs, in his "Botany of Bihar and Orissa". Euphorbia trigona Haworth can grow upto 10-20 ft tree.

Can you please tell me if there is any chance of this species to be E. arborescens Roxb. or E. trigona Haw.?

Thank you again.

Regards

surajit

J.M. Garg

Feb 17, 2015, 10:12:31 AM2/17/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Ok, Garg Sir, no problem, Tapas Sir's silence meaning it is neither E. arborescens nor E. trigona Haw. I accept it as E. candelabrum.

Thank you for taking care.

Regards

surajit

Nambiyath Balakrishnan

Feb 18, 2015, 4:27:27 AM2/18/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, surajit koley
This plant cannot be E. antiquorum or any of its synonyms because of the basic difference shown by the inflorescence here. Please examine the above close up of inflorescences. The cyathia here are in diads, with dichotomous branches and each of them is peduncled.  However, in E. antiquorum, the cyathia are usually in triads with the central cyathium sessile and the two lateral one peduncled.
This is unlike any Indian Euphrobias.
N. P. Balakrishnan

surajit koley

Feb 18, 2015, 10:32:39 AM2/18/15
to Nambiyath Balakrishnan, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Sir for explaining beautifully why this species can not be E. antiquorum. Now I think I can also reject E. lacei Craib, where cyathium is solitary or in dichasium of three cyathia.

I also thank Tapas Sir very much again for helping me. Thanks to Garg Sir for always taking care.

Regards

surajit