ANFEB39 Abutilon pannosum (please validate)

Anurag Sharma

Feb 26, 2015, 1:46:31 PM2/26/15
Date: November 2014
DSC_07121.jpg
DSC_0711.JPG
DSC_0718.jpg
DSC_0719.jpg
DSC_072011.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Feb 27, 2015, 6:33:57 AM2/27/15
to Anurag Sharma, efloraofindia
Anurag, this will not be A. pannosum, and not A.hirtum too.

The links you provided yesterday were helpful to know about pannosum & hirtum.
Putting them here for quick reference:
Abutilon hirtumherbarium | description | picture
Abutilon pannosumherbarium | description

To me your posted plant is A. indicum.

Regards.
Dinesh

Vijayasankar

Feb 27, 2015, 12:48:09 PM2/27/15
to Dinesh Valke, Anurag Sharma, efloraofindia
The number of mericarps (25+) and their acute tips, and emarginate petals are pointing to Abutilon hirtum. The indumentum is supposed to have viscid hairs, please check.

Vijay
Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Research Scientist
University of Mississippi, MS, USA

Anurag Sharma

Feb 27, 2015, 12:56:59 PM2/27/15
to Vijayasankar, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Thank you sir.
Here is a close up of the stem. Would you say there are viscid hair or only dense simple hair?
--
Anurag N. Sharma
BSc. (CBZ) 2nd Year

Vijayasankar

Feb 27, 2015, 1:07:52 PM2/27/15
to Anurag Sharma, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Thanks Anurag, it looks like viscid but I cannot tell for sure from the picture. When viscid glandular hairs present, it will be 'sticky' to touch.

Vijay
Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Research Scientist
University of Mississippi, MS, USA

Anurag Sharma

Feb 27, 2015, 1:13:17 PM2/27/15
to Vijayasankar, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
It was clicked a long time back and the stem close up is something I failed to click at the time!
If not A. hirtum, what else could it be sir?

Thank you.

Ushadi Micromini

Feb 28, 2015, 3:24:44 AM2/28/15
to Anurag Sharma, Vijayasankar, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
nice pictures  esp number 8

that makes it seem that it may have been sticky...

like some fruits of some basil do and  some plectranthus do... that slight dewy smallest "droplets"  and they will also collect dirt..

usha di
Usha di
===========

Narain Singh Chauhan

Feb 28, 2015, 7:46:13 AM2/28/15
to Ushadi Micromini, Anurag Sharma, Vijayasankar, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Most likely Abutilon indicum.

J.M. Garg

Mar 7, 2015, 7:27:36 AM3/7/15
to efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, Ushadi Micromini, Narain Singh Chauhan, Dinesh Valke, Anurag Sharma

Some earlier relevant feedback:

[...]

Most likely Abutilon indicum.- from Chauhan ji

 efi pages on Abutilon indicum & Abutilon hirtum

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

DSC_0732.jpg
DSC_0721.jpg
DSC_072111.jpg
DSC_0723.jpg
DSC_07231.jpg
DSC_0724.jpg
DSC_0726.jpg
DSC_07261.jpg
DSC_072611.jpg
DSC_0727.jpg
DSC_0709.JPG
DSC_0712.JPG
DSC_07121.jpg
DSC_0711.JPG
DSC_0718.jpg
DSC_0719.jpg
DSC_072011.jpg

surajit koley

Mar 8, 2015, 3:30:00 AM3/8/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, Ushadi Micromini, Narain Singh Chauhan, Dinesh Valke, Anurag Sharma
One my request, concerning Abutilon in another thread, has not been addressed yet, leave aside met, yet I have received this mail, perhaps to express my view on it, view of a minnow, Huh!

I agree with Dinesh Ji's view. I do not think it is or the one in https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/wzOrPt8dSyA/1h3CqyUe0xUJ is Abutilon pannosum.

I also do not think this is Abutilon hirtum.

Except the hairs at hilum, which I fail to explain for want of literature, I think it is probably Abutilon indicum G. Don, where number of carpels can be 20 or more. Yes, I read that FoP records, in A. hirtum, seed with minute shinning stellate hairs, more so at hilum. At the same time FoC records seeds in A. indicum are sparsely stellate.

Thank you
Regards
surajit

Anurag Sharma

Mar 8, 2015, 8:14:26 AM3/8/15
to surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, Ushadi Micromini, Narain Singh Chauhan, Dinesh Valke
Thank you very much sir, I too had the doubt about the hair at the hilum.
If only there was a definitive key that bore absolutely no ambiguity.

I will take this as Abutilon indicum.

surajit koley

Mar 8, 2015, 10:44:45 AM3/8/15
to Anurag Sharma, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, Ushadi Micromini, Narain Singh Chauhan, Dinesh Valke
Anurag Ji,

I request you to count the number of mericarps in Dinesh Ji's photograph https://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/6257781510 in the thread https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/1E9XV3RBkZI/LdC_s8ZY-0oJ. I think the species in that thread is A. indicum.

I am sad that my knowledge is so little.

Thank you
Regards
surajit

Anurag Sharma

Mar 9, 2015, 3:18:12 AM3/9/15
to surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, Ushadi Micromini, Narain Singh Chauhan, Dinesh Valke
The number of mericarps in that photo seem to be just over 20, as in mine sir.
Thank you.

surajit koley

Mar 9, 2015, 12:10:25 PM3/9/15
to Anurag Sharma, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, Ushadi Micromini, Narain Singh Chauhan, Dinesh Valke
Thank you very much Anurag Ji, I can see 23 clear mericarps in that pic. It means A. indicum (L.) Sweet can have more than 20 mericarps!

But, it doesn't mean that your species is A. indicum.

Because, there are differences. One is hair on seed. Second is the tip/beak of mericarp is not that curved and pointed as in usual A. indicum.

So, your species may be some other. But, not A hirtum or A. pannosum I think.

Surprisingly, we do not have records of Abutilon bidentatum Hochst. ex A. Rich. in our database. FoP has description, FBI very little. Can you retrieve more from somewhere?

Thank you
Regards
surajit

Anurag Sharma

Mar 9, 2015, 10:46:04 PM3/9/15
to surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, Ushadi Micromini, Narain Singh Chauhan, Dinesh Valke
Will do sir. ill get back to you on this.

Thank you.

surajit koley

Mar 10, 2015, 12:23:56 PM3/10/15
to Anurag Sharma, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, Ushadi Micromini, Narain Singh Chauhan, Dinesh Valke
Dear Anurag Ji,

I am fed up with non-availability of correct info on Abutilon or many other genera, yet I am trying to ID a plant to species level....!!!

I fully subscribe your view, "If only there was a definitive key that bore absolutely no ambiguity."

Sorry, dear, I am really sorry.

Thank you

Regards

surajit

Anurag Sharma

Mar 10, 2015, 10:36:53 PM3/10/15
to surajit koley, indiantreepix
I will check that link sir. Thank you.
Maybe one day when this forum is with enough thoroughly validated links, we could come up with a key based on the photos available right here.