Hooghly Today : Lindenbergia indica Kuntze

surajit koley

Dec 6, 2012, 10:35:50 AM12/6/12
to efloraofindia
06dec12_DSCN8949.jpg
06dec12_DSCN8953.jpg
06dec12_DSCN8954.jpg
06dec12_DSCN8955.jpg
06dec12_DSCN8957.jpg
06dec12_DSCN8958.jpg

jmgarg1

Dec 12, 2012, 6:24:34 AM12/12/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Nidhan Singh, Balkar Singh, Tabish Qureshi, Tanay Bose, Vijayasankar Raman
There is a lot of confusion in this regard. The Plant list gives three names as unresolved as per link:
http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-2498856 (Lindenbergia urticifolia Lehm.)
Few books from India talks about Lindenbergia indica (L.) Kuntze as per the following links:
Refrences are also there from India of  Lindenbergia indica Vatke with Lindenbergia urticifolia Lehm. as synonym as per the following links:

Which name we should consider as the correct name ?
May be Singh ji, can sort out the matter with his great knowledge.

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 2015 members & 1,39,500 messages on 30/11/12) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 7500 species).

surajit koley

Dec 12, 2012, 12:25:29 PM12/12/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Nidhan Singh, Balkar Singh, Tabish Qureshi, Tanay Bose, Vijayasankar Raman
Sir,

According to F. B. I. iv. 262. -
L. urticaefolia Lehm. = Stemodia ruderalis Vahl. Symb. ii. 69.; Roxb. Fl. Ind. iii. 94.; Wall. Cat. 3923. = S. muralis Roxb. in Don Prodr. 89. = Brachycoris parviflora Schrad, Ind. Sem. Gott. 1830.

According to The Plant List S. ruderalis Retz. is also unresolved!

Do not know if Stemodia muraria Roxb. ex D. Don, Prodr. FL. Nepal. 1825 is same as Stemodia muralis Roxb. in Don Prodr. 89. of F. B. I. iv. 262.

Our group has some posts of Lindenbergia muraria and my species might be the same.

Some points from F. I. iii. 94.-95. :-
Stemodia ruderalis Willd. iii. 345. & c.
  • flowers axillary, solitary, sub-sessile
  • found on old walls about Calcutta
  • flowers during the rain
  • calyx ten furrowed, five toothed, permanent
  • upper lip very narrow, bifid; inside of both (lower & upper lip) hairy, and beautifully marked with small purple dots
Thankm you & Regards,

surajit

jmgarg1

Dec 13, 2012, 12:23:45 AM12/13/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Nidhan Singh, Balkar Singh, Tabish Qureshi, Tanay Bose, Vijayasankar Raman
Thanks, Surajit ji,
Question is all these refer to the same plant or different plants ? And which name we should follow for our India Plant ?
Our experts may help in this regard.

surajit koley

Dec 21, 2012, 2:26:48 AM12/21/12
to efloraofindia
Sir,

This is Lindenbergia urticaefolia Lehm. of "Bengal Plants"

Relevant links :
  1. http://www.ipni.org/ipni/idPlantNameSearch.do;jsessionid=C18D5362518C615EF960285696343915?id=805075-1&back_page=%2Fipni%2FeditAdvPlantNameSearch.do%3Bjsessionid%3DD07595DB891430FB673E8AD4591E84F8%3Ffind_infragenus%3D%26find_isAPNIRecord%3Dtrue%26find_geoUnit%3D%26find_includePublicationAuthors%3Dtrue%26find_addedSince%3D%26find_family%3D%26find_genus%3DLindenbergia%26find_isGCIRecord%3Dtrue%26find_infrafamily%3D%26find_rankToReturn%3D%26find_publicationTitle%3D%26find_authorAbbrev%3D%26find_infraspecies%3D%26find_includeBasionymAuthors%3Dtrue%26find_modifiedSince%3D%26find_isIKRecord%3Dtrue%26find_species%3D%26output_format%3Dnormal
  2. http://www.ipni.org/ipni/idPlantNameSearch.do;jsessionid=DA7B4A0D043CB4C247E943E01A110F0C?id=809906-1&back_page=%2Fipni%2FeditAdvPlantNameSearch.do%3Bjsessionid%3DDA7B4A0D043CB4C247E943E01A110F0C%3Ffind_infragenus%3D%26find_isAPNIRecord%3Dtrue%26find_geoUnit%3D%26find_includePublicationAuthors%3Dtrue%26find_addedSince%3D%26find_family%3D%26find_genus%3DStemodia%26find_isGCIRecord%3Dtrue%26find_infrafamily%3D%26find_rankToReturn%3D%26find_publicationTitle%3D%26find_authorAbbrev%3D%26find_infraspecies%3D%26find_includeBasionymAuthors%3Dtrue%26find_modifiedSince%3D%26find_isIKRecord%3Dtrue%26find_species%3D%26output_format%3Dnormal
  3. http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/genus.pl?6860
Regards,

surajit
plantaginaceae_Lindenbergia_urticifolia_Lehm_14dec12_DSCN9157.jpg

J.M. Garg

Aug 7, 2013, 6:31:14 AM8/7/13
to efloraofindia, surajit koley, Gurcharan Singh, Nidhan Singh, Balkar Singh, Prasad Dash, Karuna Das, Satish Phadke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, D.S Rawat

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world): http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 2135 members & 1,61,500 messages on 31/7/13) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 8500 species & 1,70, 000 images).
06dec12_DSCN8949.jpg
06dec12_DSCN8953.jpg
06dec12_DSCN8954.jpg
06dec12_DSCN8955.jpg
06dec12_DSCN8957.jpg
06dec12_DSCN8958.jpg

surajit koley

Aug 8, 2013, 12:25:51 PM8/8/13
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Nidhan Singh, Balkar Singh, Prasad Dash, Karuna Das, Satish Phadke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, D.S Rawat
Dear Garg Sir,

The following words are copied from the literature (Pennell) you have cited -
"......... the free lobes of both lips rounded; ......" (for L. ruderalis of Pennell; not of Voigt)

I am very sorry that i fail to find any free lobes in the upper lip of my species.

Thank you

Regards

surajit

J.M. Garg

Aug 9, 2013, 12:52:09 AM8/9/13
to surajit koley, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Nidhan Singh, Balkar Singh, Prasad Dash, Karuna Das, Satish Phadke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, D.S Rawat
Hi, Surajit ji,
As you identified it earlier as Lindenbergia urticaefolia Lehm., which is now considered a syn. of  Lindenbergia ruderalis (Retz.) Voigt as per latest litrature: Scrophulariaceae of the Western Himalayas By Francis . Pennell (2007- Description & Keys- Lindenbergia grandiflora, macrostachya & ruderalis. Also mentions L.indica)

Pennel is cosidered an authority on Indian Scrophulariaceae.

surajit koley

Aug 9, 2013, 3:33:40 AM8/9/13
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Nidhan Singh, Balkar Singh, Prasad Dash, Karuna Das, Satish Phadke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, D.S Rawat
Dearest Garg Sir,

Have a look please, for L. ruderalis, at the following sites -
  1. http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=3&taxon_id=200020714
  2. you will see a number of pics, that fit Dr. Pennell's description, eg. - http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=109006&flora_id=800
Again, i am sorry, i do not think this is my species. Neither KEW does think all (synonyms used by Dr. Pennell) is same -
  1. http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-2498864
  2. http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-2498855
  3. http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-2587063
Still, if you think Dr. Pennell is the last word then why not take the synonym Stemodia muraria Roxburgh ex D. Don ???, which is accepted as Lindenbergia muraria (Roxburgh ex D. Don) Brühl ???

Thanks

surajit

J.M. Garg

Aug 17, 2013, 5:50:39 AM8/17/13
to surajit koley, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Nidhan Singh, Balkar Singh, Prasad Dash, Karuna Das, Satish Phadke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, D.S Rawat
Thanks, Surajit ji,
Stemodia muraria Roxburgh ex D. Don is also a syn. of Lindenbergia ruderalis (Retz.) Voigt as per latest litrature: Scrophulariaceae of the Western Himalayas By Francis . Pennell (2007- Description & Keys- Lindenbergia grandiflora, macrostachya & ruderalis. Also mentions L.indica)

J.M. Garg

Aug 17, 2013, 7:08:01 AM8/17/13
to surajit koley, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Nidhan Singh, Balkar Singh, Prasad Dash, Karuna Das, Satish Phadke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, D.S Rawat
Also reconstructed efi page : Lindenbergia ruderalis

surajit koley

Aug 17, 2013, 12:37:58 PM8/17/13
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Nidhan Singh, Balkar Singh, Prasad Dash, Karuna Das, Satish Phadke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, D.S Rawat
Dear Garg Sir,

  1. the book you are referring is "Scrophulariaceae of the Western Himalayas". i think it doesn't cover entire India and the same can be ascertain by these very words "possibly within our territory is also......"
  2. please, see the attached screenshots of Flora Indica, Voigt, this thread and another recent post - https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/INM9PDos1gI/NX_FkoaJ_ZEJ
  3. please, note Voigt gives no flower description, instead equates it with F.I.
  4. please note F. I. clearly informs that the upper lip of this flower is very narrow and found on old walls about Calcutta, also note, it is Stemodia ruderalis Willd. iii. 345 & c.
  5. I do not know if the same above is synonymous with S. muralis Roxb.or the ones in the document you have cited.
Thank you,

Regards,

surajit

Flora_indica_vol3_p94.jpg
post.jpg
Voigt_p501.jpg

surajit koley

Aug 17, 2013, 12:40:36 PM8/17/13
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Nidhan Singh, Balkar Singh, Prasad Dash, Karuna Das, Satish Phadke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, D.S Rawat
Dear Garg Sir,

You may also like to see these remaining screenshots in this thread.

Thank you.

Regards,

surajit
Bengal_Plants_vol2_p760.jpg
Bot_Bihar_Orissa_vol2_p624.jpg
Fl_Br_Ind_vol4_p262.jpg

surajit koley

Dec 25, 2014, 9:57:00 AM12/25/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Nidhan Singh, Balkar Singh, Prasad Dash, Karuna Das, Satish Phadke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, D.S Rawat
Respected members,

I request your views regarding accepted name of this species. Specially in context of recent two threads -
  1. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/indiantreepix/-17Bt037DPE/Tv3t3GqczmgJ
  2. https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/UNf0xbE-6vM/PLl9AflVuGcJ
I have measurements of leaves, flowers, part of the plant in this set; I have picture of fruit as well. I am also attaching relevant entries in old literatures. This species, as per characters shown in the attached photographs, should be Lindenbergia urticifolia Lehm. of "Bengal Plants" or L. urticaefolia Lehm. of "botany of Bihar and Orissa" and "Flora of British India" or Stemodia ruderalis of "Flora Indica".

Thank you
Regards
surajit

a medium sized individual.jpg
inflorescence.jpg
Flora_indica_vol3_p94.jpg
Haines.jpg
Prain.jpg
Voigt_p501.jpg
brittle stem.jpg
flower with narrow upper lip.jpg
flowers with bracts.jpg
leaaves at base .jpg
pedicellate flower.jpg
beaked capsule.jpg
corolla.jpg
hairy inside.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jun 3, 2020, 6:12:46 AM6/3/20
to efloraofindia, surajitkoley
This should be Lindenbergia indica as per keys, images, details and references herein.

surajit koley

Jun 6, 2020, 12:30:01 AM6/6/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Yes Sir.