Thunbergia grandiflora Roxb. from Hooghly

surajit koley

Aug 18, 2012, 3:38:50 PM8/18/12
to efloraofindia
Sir,

KEW says Thunbergia grandiflora Roxb. is a synonym of Thunbergia alata Bojer ex Sims. But 'google search' gives all yellow flowers for Thunbergia alata Bojer ex Sims !

Habit & Habitat : climber, found outside a residence
Date : 18/8/12, 4.41 P.M.
Place : Barijahati (Hooghly)
website visited :

surajit
DSCN8901.jpg
DSCN8924.jpg
DSCN8902.jpg
DSCN8904.jpg
DSCN8905.jpg
DSCN8907.jpg
DSCN8909.jpg
DSCN8912.jpg
DSCN8917.jpg
DSCN8920.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 18, 2012, 4:11:56 PM8/18/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Yes Surajit
Very nice photographs

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

satyendra tiwari

Aug 18, 2012, 9:00:32 PM8/18/12
to efloraofindia
Dear Surjit ji,
I hope new comers will learn from your posts. How to do homework before posting it on Eflora.
Nice Pictures. A similar plant is growing on fence in village Tala Umaria M.P. I will check when it flowers.
Regards.
Satyendra

Satyendra K.Tiwari.
Wildlife Photographer, Naturalist, Tour Leader
H.NO 129, P.O.Tala, Distt Umariya.
M.P. India 484-661
Park Entry fee is constantly under revision since last one year. We take no responsibility for any changes in park rules / fees. We will endaevour to let you know as soon as we know of such changes.
To know more about Bandhavgarh visit following links.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/satyendraphotography
http://tigerdiaries.blogspot.com
http://skayscamp.wetpaint.com
SKAY'S CAMP is awarded QUALITY rating by Tour Operator For Tigers (TOFT). http://www.toftigers.org/accommodation/Default.aspx?id=15
Review Skay's Camp on TripAdvisor
00-91-7627-265309 or 09425331209

ushadi Micromini

Aug 18, 2012, 10:09:41 PM8/18/12
to satyendra tiwari, efloraofindia
yes Surajit
grows at the hort and elliot park on chowringhee and many places in and around the canals in shyambazar etc...  saw them during the whirlwind durgapuja pandal hopping a couple of years ago....

your second question I think is the Thunbergia alata... its well accepted that thunbergia alata is a distinctly different species... it had different structure of flowers and leaf...
I am enclosing a picture here, from NYBG where plants are displayed with labels once it s classified by their  botanists and horticulturists team... I value their opinion above any website for sure...

this was labelled  a t. alata orange flowers... did not photograph the label because I have my self had been growing the typical Yellow flowered t. alata vine for many many years as part of my nostalgia of India garden... t. alata is south african origin as far as I know.. ..yet  my Grandma's garden on the east coast or the west coast always had them almost growing like wild ... this link shows both colors....
http://www.plantzafrica.com/planttuv/thunbergalata.htm

To confuse the issue its also called black eyed susan by some areas of the english speaking world including popular name in seed catalogues and popular flower for cutflower trade in USA and europe   and now grows wild in the meadows all over...and by the roadsides ....this Black eyed susan is Rudbeckia hirta  of Aster family...   http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/black-eyed_susan.htm
ecologically an important plant, its considered so at least in the USA  you'll see that in the site above.....
enjoy
Usha di

Usha di
===========

Thunbergia alata vine LBL one orange flower 002 sm send to Eflora.jpg

surajit koley

Aug 18, 2012, 10:18:37 PM8/18/12
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Good morning Sir,

Thank you very much for confirming. I am surprised to note that you were still online at late night, yesterday!

Regards.

surajit

surajit koley

Aug 18, 2012, 10:21:50 PM8/18/12
to satyendra tiwari, efloraofindia
Good morning Sir,

Thank you very much for the encouraging note, i will try to keep it up.

Regards,

surajit

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 6:30 AM, satyendra tiwari <kays...@gmail.com> wrote:

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 18, 2012, 10:30:54 PM8/18/12
to ushadi Micromini, satyendra tiwari, efloraofindia
Sorry Surajit ji and Ushadi
I said yes to the plant being T. grandiflora without reading your first line about KEW The Plant List listing.
Having gone through the Plant List, with so many missing names, unresolved names, and many wrong synonymy records, I have become increasingly unsure about The Plant List. I prefer to follow GRIN for records which are dealt there and periodically updated by its scientists. GRIN as well as several recent treatments recognise T. grandiflora. as distinct species.
Yes Ushadi is right, T. alata is a sufficiently distinct from T. grandiflora, and to call T. grandiflora its synonym at least I find hard to digest.

If there is any species closest and can be combined with is T. laurifolia. The two are very close.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
--
Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Aug 18, 2012, 10:32:02 PM8/18/12
to ushadi Micromini, satyendra tiwari, efloraofindia
Good morning Usha Di,

Thank you very very much for elaborating on T. alata & T. grandiflora and those links. I thought KEW was the last word! I hope NYBG stands for The New York Botanical Garden.

Regards,

surajit

--
Usha di
===========

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 18, 2012, 10:33:15 PM8/18/12
to ushadi Micromini, satyendra tiwari, efloraofindia
Dear Surajit ji
I am presently at California and would return to India only in January, 2013
It is 7.30 in the evening now.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

ushadi Micromini

Aug 18, 2012, 10:41:20 PM8/18/12
to Gurcharan Singh, satyendra tiwari, efloraofindia
Gurcharanji
correct...
yet the t. laurifolia and t. grandiflora ... i find has different colored intensity of the blue of the flowers and the yellow or whites of the  necks ...

someone with a lot of taxonomy knowledge will have to dissect and tell me...

yes to the confusion with the plant list ... I think it perhaps has personnel that are not very familiar with all the tropical flora or the computer program that they started using is unwieldy... it will have to become  a little fuzzy to allow a bit more separation of species and allow for fuzziness in nature...   at this point they seem to be a bit black and white ... too rigid by far... MOBOT and Kew has good botanists and scientist so I dont understand this woody/black and white / no flexibility kind of thinking and blatant ignorance of many common things...

usha di
==
--
Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Aug 18, 2012, 10:45:07 PM8/18/12
to Gurcharan Singh, ushadi Micromini, satyendra tiwari, efloraofindia
Sir,

Form now on i am going to give priority to GRIN in my search preferences.

Wishing best for your California trip, if it were not the net, we would certainly miss you, and i never like to  miss you.

Regards,

surajit

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 8:00 AM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 18, 2012, 10:49:24 PM8/18/12
to ushadi Micromini, satyendra tiwari, efloraofindia
Ushadi
I have several written communications from The Plant List. They se4em to be simply compiling the results of participating Institutions. I have personal rapport with few scientists of MOBOT. Perhaps I can't write here what they think about The Plant List.

What is most horrible about the Plant List that they don't include all names of IPNI, their own website based on Index Kewensis, Although these names are in both these databases, and they claim the Plant List to be the most complete listing of the World plants.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

surajit koley

Aug 18, 2012, 10:55:24 PM8/18/12
to Gurcharan Singh, ushadi Micromini, satyendra tiwari, efloraofindia
Gurcharan Sir & Usha Di,

The truth is that initially i thought this flower should go to Bignoniaceae family for its sepal shape and its 4 stamens, which i thought is comparable with my earlier post of Spathodea campanulata!

Regards,

surajit

ushadi Micromini

Aug 19, 2012, 12:15:54 AM8/19/12
to surajit koley, Gurcharan Singh, satyendra tiwari, efloraofindia
yes nybg is that...
 a prime study place for botany ethnobotany and plain old gardeners' resource for information and plant materials  and a visual delight  for all including a casual visitor and safe even when it gets dark..., run by honest people at all levels...

i wish all indian bot gardens would be like it...   would be wonderful.
usha di
--
Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Aug 19, 2012, 1:10:12 PM8/19/12
to ushadi Micromini, Gurcharan Singh, satyendra tiwari, efloraofindia
Usha Di,

NYBG also gets priority in my search list, hereafter.

Regards,

surajit

ushadi Micromini

Aug 20, 2012, 1:01:55 AM8/20/12
to surajit koley, Gurcharan Singh, satyendra tiwari, efloraofindia
Surajit: I am not sure if they have such computerised database facilities at present... I meant I trust their information on the cards by the plants  ( when you are there personally visiting NYBG )
or when you call them...  they are digitizing their herbarium, whole of it but not sure how they are putting the database together so general public can access them .... i have not looked too carefully into it....

I trust them implicitly about any information they give out ... that's all.

otherwise like Gurcharanji has mentioned MOBOT and KEW and  GRIN is as good.... and google images then pick and choose....

usha di
==
--
Usha di

surajit koley

Aug 20, 2012, 2:26:53 AM8/20/12
to ushadi Micromini, Gurcharan Singh, satyendra tiwari, efloraofindia
Yes, Usha Di, i have noticed their herbarium pictures available at their website.

Regards,

surajit