Spathodea campanulata ? :: 10/03/12 :: Hooghly (WB) SK-1 (indiantreepix@googlegroups.com)

surajit koley (Google Docs)

Mar 10, 2012, 12:42:09 PM3/10/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Click to open:

Sir,

This afternoon i shot these pictures on the ‘central avenue’ (near Medical College) in Kolkata (Calcutta). This is a big tree of about 40-50 ft. While returning by bus i noticed more of this tree at various corners of the city. I picked up a flower that fell on the footpath and in no time took some photographs.

Species : Spathodea campanulata ?

Type : tree, roadside plantation

Date 10-March-2012, 3.51 p.m.

Place : Chittaranjan Avenue, Kolkata (Calcutta)

(all images 800x600, except the last two)

flower picked up from footpath

continued........

dissected flower

continued.......

another view

part of the tree

continued................

leaves

tree

trunk

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

---------------- END --------------------

Google Docs makes it easy to create, store and share online documents, spreadsheets and presentations.
Logo for Google Docs

Dinesh Valke

Mar 10, 2012, 1:50:49 PM3/10/12
to surajit koley (Google Docs), indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Surajit ji, ... Spathodea campanulata P.Beauv. (family: Bignoniaceae).
Native of Uganda, planted as ornamental or avenue trees in our country.

Regards.
Dinesh

surajit koley

Mar 10, 2012, 1:53:34 PM3/10/12
to Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
It's great when Dinesh Sir is with us. A Big Thank You.
Regards,
Surajit

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 10, 2012, 10:06:55 PM3/10/12
to surajit koley, Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Another great set of photographs Surajit ji

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Satish Phadke

Mar 11, 2012, 7:11:03 AM3/11/12
to surajit koley (Google Docs), indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Spathodea campanulata
Spathodea is a monotypic genus i.e. it contains only this species under it.
A very commonly planted avenue tree all over India.
Non native. Originates from Africa.

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 11:12 PM, surajit koley (Google Docs) <surajitno...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Dr Satish Phadke

surajit koley

Mar 11, 2012, 7:44:53 AM3/11/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, surajit koley, Dinesh Valke
Thank you Sir. The inside of the calyx too has vibrant colour, attaching a
photo of the same.
Regards,
Surajit
(mail delivery failed...!)
calyx640x480DSCN0235.jpg

surajit koley

Mar 11, 2012, 7:52:30 AM3/11/12
to Satish Phadke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sir,
It was the first time i noticed this beautiful tree. Thank you for confirming.
Regards,
Surajit