Premna sp.(Verbenaceae) for ID

M Sawmliana

Jun 12, 2014, 11:27:53 AM6/12/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Location : Lengpui, Mizoram. Altitude : 400 - 900 m. Date : 12-06-2014. Habit : Middle-sized deciduous tree. Wood scented, durable for post. Habitat : It grows wild in the secondary forest, etc. Note : Leaves are eaten cooked with meats.Heartwood used for house post. Premna sp. ?
Bark.JPG
Blaze.JPG
Flowerss.JPG
Old blaze.JPG

M Sawmliana

Jun 12, 2014, 12:15:15 PM6/12/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, June 12, 2014 8:57:53 PM UTC+5:30, M Sawmliana wrote:
Location : Lengpui, Mizoram. Altitude : 400 - 900 m. Date : 12-06-2014. Habit : Middle-sized deciduous tree. Wood scented, durable for post. Habitat : It grows wild in the secondary forest, etc. Note : Leaves are eaten cooked with meats.Heartwood used for house post. Premna sp. ?

Regards,
M.Sawmliana
Leaf (2).JPG
Leaf.JPG
Leaves.JPG

J.M. Garg

Jun 19, 2014, 6:49:34 AM6/19/14
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2350 members & 1,90,000 messages on 31/5/14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 9500 species & 1,90,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

Leaf (2).JPG
Leaf.JPG
Leaves.JPG

surajit koley

Jun 19, 2014, 1:17:34 PM6/19/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Dear

Flora Indica informs -
Premna latifolia Roxb. : - bark ash-coloured / corymbs axillary and terminal, compound / wood is white, used for various economical purpose / leaves have pretty strong agreeable smell and used in curry. But, FBI informs leaves have 7 pairs of nerves.

Premna longifolia Roxb. : distrib. Bengal / bark ash to greenish brown / petiole 2 to 3 inches / corymbs terminal, large / smell agreeable. Nerves 6 pairs (FBI)

Premna integrifolia L. : it is connected with with several citations / sometimes thorny / upper half of leaf margin sometimes bears teeth / nerves 4 to 5 pair / leaves edible (KEW). Flora Indica informs (P. serratifolia) "the whole plant has a heavy unpleasant smell".

I think your plant is one of the above three.

Thanks n regards

J.M. Garg

surajit koley

Jun 26, 2014, 9:53:19 PM6/26/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Garg Sir,

The options in my mail, referred here, was for the post at https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/TyjkObnAlgA/D8OWVBi6IZoJ. I hope this post and the one linked above are same.

Out of the three species I gave a short account on I would say that this tree is Premna serratifolia L.

Thanks you and regards

surajit koley

Jun 26, 2014, 10:30:15 PM6/26/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
It is quite confusing!!! The "Vawngthla .JPG" in https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/t3rZ5uSwrx4/rMYJ6u0fuMYJ issame as "Leaves.JPG" in the thread.

Regards

J.M. Garg

Jun 28, 2014, 1:16:59 AM6/28/14
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana, surajit koley
Thanks a lot, Sunilkumar ji.

Jul 23, 2014, 7:51:57 AM7/23/14
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Jul 23, 2014, 1:22:03 PM7/23/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Without calyx character it is hard to decide, I think it is Premna integrifolia L.

Thank you

Regards

M Sawmliana

Nov 6, 2016, 4:41:18 AM11/6/16
to efloraofindia, jmg...@gmail.com, msawm...@gmail.com, surajitno...@gmail.com
 It is Premna milleflora C.B.Clarke

J.M. Garg

Nov 6, 2016, 4:54:59 AM11/6/16
to M Sawmliana, efloraofindia
Thanks, Sawmliana ji.
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).