commelina in canal from Hooghly 17/11/12 sk

surajit koley

Nov 17, 2012, 7:45:41 AM11/17/12
to efloraofindia
Good evening

Of the 20 species of Commelina described in The F. B. I., vol6., p369-374; only three species - C. sikkimensis Clarke, C. salicifolia Roxb.; C. appendiculata Clarke have spathes more than One and a Half inch.

The fourth one C. undulata Br. doesn't have any spathe size mentioned in the book, but do have leaves between 4-5 in. And it has been mentioned as a slight variety of C. obliqua.

I do not have stats on leaf size of this species (it was not possible to measure it), but comparing the spathe size with that of leaves, i think my species has leaves of bigger than 15 cm x 1 cm.

We can leave C. sikimensis (leaves 2-3 in x 1/4-1/3 in).

Which of the above three is my species? Or should i go for an exotic one?

Species : UNKNOWN
H & H : wild herb in a canal, prostrate, partly erect, growing along with water hyacinth on water surface.
Date : 15/11/12, 10.30 a.m.
Place : Hooghly

Thank you & Regards,

surajit
DSCN7431.jpg
DSCN7432.jpg
DSCN7433.jpg
DSCN7434.jpg
DSCN7436.jpg
DSCN7438.jpg
DSCN7439.jpg
DSCN7440.jpg

jmgarg1

Nov 25, 2012, 1:28:51 AM11/25/12
to efloraofindia, mnan...@gmail.com, annaanc...@gmail.com, manudev madhavan, surajit koley

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 2000 members & 1,37,000 messages on 31/10/12) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 7500 species).

DSCN7431.jpg
DSCN7432.jpg
DSCN7433.jpg
DSCN7434.jpg
DSCN7436.jpg
DSCN7438.jpg
DSCN7439.jpg
DSCN7440.jpg

mayur nandikar

Nov 25, 2012, 3:19:30 AM11/25/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia, annaanc...@gmail.com, manudev madhavan, surajit koley
Dear All,

Posted Commelina, is I think Commelina diffusa Burm. f. Fl. Ind. 13. t. 7. f. 2. 1768. [=C. nudiflora of Moon, Cat. 5. 1824; Hook. f., Fl. Br. India, 6: 369. 1892. non L., 1753]. ID based on field (in vegetative) observations of mine, I may be wrong (seeds 5, not appendaged, testa reticulate are the few key chr. to ID the species).

Commelina appendiculata is having spathes of 5 to 10 cm long, 2 to 2.5 cm wide flowers, (seeds 2-3, with appendages, testa smooth)

I personally do not find any qualitative differences in C. sikkimensis & C. diffusa.

And C. undulata is with fused spathes at margins. And the posted plant is with spathes free on margins.

Spathes length, pubescence is vary according the environment, so it could be difficult to judge the species, basis of quantitative characters.

Seed and Capsule characters are play important role in species differentiation at least in genus Commelina.

Thanking you.
--
Mayur Nandikar
Research Student,

surajit koley

Nov 25, 2012, 9:18:48 AM11/25/12
to mayur nandikar, jmgarg1, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Mayur Ji for the ID & keys to Commelina.

Thank you Garg Sir.

So, it is the same species as in my earlier uploads at https://groups.google.com/d/topic/indiantreepix/d-klP7pd_VY/discussion and at https://groups.google.com/d/topic/indiantreepix/6Xf1XiDWPRE/discussion. As for sizes of spathes i must add that flower sizes also vary, because the flowers in my first upload (in the 1st link) is smaller than the rest.

I hope Commelina diffusa Burm. f. Fl. Ind. 13. t. 7. f. 2. 1768. is the same as -
 C. diffusa, Burm. Fl. Ind. 18, t. 7, f. 2. as in the attached screenshot of part of F. B. I. vi. 369.
or -
Commelina diffusa N. L. Burman, Fl. Indica. 18, plate 7, fig. 2. 1768. at FoC.

Thank you & Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

Nov 25, 2012, 9:19:59 AM11/25/12
to mayur nandikar, jmgarg1, efloraofindia
Sir,

Here is the attached screenshot.

Regards,

surajit

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 1:49 PM, mayur nandikar <mnan...@gmail.com> wrote:
c_nudiflora.jpg

J.M. Garg

Sep 28, 2015, 7:20:36 AM9/28/15
to efloraofindia, surajit koley
Commelina longifolia Lam. as per another thread.

Sep 28, 2015, 2:00:27 PM9/28/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you Garg Sir, an outdated literature - http://biodiversitylibrary.org/bibliography/16058#/summary members may find interesting!

Thank you