grass Chionachne? from Hooghly 8/10/12 sk2

surajit koley

Oct 8, 2012, 2:15:30 PM10/8/12
to efloraofindia
Sir,

Found this grass in a roadside waste place. Is this the same Chionachne koenigii (Spreng.) as in my earlier post at - https://groups.google.com/d/topic/indiantreepix/FW5XrKtEnho/discussion?

Species : Chionachne koenigii (Spreng.)
Habit & Habitat : about 5.5. feet high, some even 7 feet or more; leaf avg. 45 cm x 5 cm
Date : 8/10/12, 10.11 a.m.
Place : Hooghly

Thank you & Regards,

surajit
DSCN3621.jpg
DSCN3641.jpg
DSCN3652.jpg
DSCN3658.jpg
DSCN3659.jpg
DSCN3622.jpg
DSCN3623.jpg
DSCN3625.jpg
DSCN3628.jpg
DSCN3630.jpg
DSCN3633.jpg
DSCN3634.jpg
DSCN3639.jpg

Rohit Patel

Oct 9, 2012, 3:03:56 AM10/9/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Can u try with Coix ??????

DR. ROHITKUMAR MANGALBHAI PATEL, PhD
Sr. RESEARCH ASSOCIATE
GUJARAT INSTITUTE OF DESERT ECOLOGY
P.C.# 83, MUNDRA ROAD,
OPP., CHANGLESHWER TEMPLE
BHUJ-KACHCHH-370001
GUJARAT, INDIA
MO.NO.:- 09724337687

surajit koley

Oct 9, 2012, 12:24:11 PM10/9/12
to Rohit Patel, efloraofindia
Sir,

It looks like Coix lacryma-jobi. Moreover, as per Flora of Pakistan  the leaves of Chionachne koenigii are narrower than what can be seen in my post. But i am not sure.

Regards,

surajit

manoj chandran

Oct 9, 2012, 1:18:33 PM10/9/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
This is Coix gigantea. You can see the large wings on the glumes of the male spikelets. The earlier post was not showing the spikelets very clear. It could also be  Coix gigantea. You can see if the plant in the earlier post had winged glumes and whether the stems/leaf sheaths were having stinging hairs, if so it is Chionachne. The female spikelet of Chionachne koenigii is flatter than Coix. Both are tall and the habit and habitat are also similar in both genera.

surajit koley

Oct 9, 2012, 1:34:14 PM10/9/12
to manoj chandran, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sir,

Thank you very much for all details on Coix and Chionachne. This grass is from another place and i could not get closer to the species of the earlier post. I think i will be able to identify the three species in future, based upon the keys you have given here. Descriptions available in Flora of China and Flora of Pakistan are often confusing. specially regarding the leaves sizes.

Regards,

surajit

jmgarg1

Oct 20, 2012, 9:32:41 AM10/20/12
to manoj chandran, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Manoj ji, for the Id.
Both GRIN as well as The Plant List treat Coix gigantea J.Koenig & Chionachne koenigii (Spreng.) Thwaites as the syn. of Chionachne gigantea (J.Koenig) Veldkamp as per links:

Do you think that they are different ?

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1980 members & 1,33,000 messages on 30/9/12) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 7500 species).

manoj chandran

Oct 22, 2012, 1:32:19 AM10/22/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir,
Thank you for the links. I think they have made a grave mistake. It is ok whatever genus name they want to put, Coix and Chionachne may be treated under the same genus, though there are characters sufficient enough to treat them differently. However, both koenigii and gigantea are entirely different species.
The main difference between the two genera are the shape and position of the 'bead', i.e, the female spikelet. In Coix, it is enclosed by the leaf sheath modified involucre to look like a spherical ovate to orbicular bead and completely exserted, whereas in Chionachne, the female spikelet is a compressed, oblong bead and not exserted completely and the leaf sheath is not modified into an involucre . Another major difference is the presence of stinging hairs in Chionachne, whereas Coix does not have such hairs. Hence Coix is more palatable and a good fodder, whereas Chionachne is not. Coix is more common in moist and waterlogged and abandoned agriculture fields, canal banks, etc., wheras Chionachne is a species found in similar habitat in forest areas.
Regards...
Manoj Chandran

J.M. Garg

Dec 2, 2019, 12:01:43 AM12/2/19
to efloraofindia
Relevant feedback from another thread:
.............. Coix gigantea (both Hoogly photos) .....
It is clear that Chionachne koenigii is definitely different from Coix gigantea even when treated as Chionachne gigantea. As per priority rule, the genus Coix will prevail over Chionachne, even if someone wants to consider both under the same genus. But there are very distinct differences between the two genera. The new combination of Chionachne gigantea with all the others being treated as synonyms is published in the revision of Chionachne in Blumea. But definitely there is some mistake. I have not yet gone through the full paper of revision of Chionachne published in Blumea. Once I get a copy of this and go through, I will respond further.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 13,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than 2,00,000 images are directly displayed on 30.8.19).

DSCN3621.jpg
DSCN3641.jpg
DSCN3652.jpg
DSCN3658.jpg
DSCN3659.jpg
DSCN3622.jpg
DSCN3623.jpg
DSCN3625.jpg
DSCN3628.jpg
DSCN3630.jpg
DSCN3633.jpg
DSCN3634.jpg
DSCN3639.jpg

dr.rakesh Singh

Dec 2, 2019, 9:02:22 AM12/2/19
to efloraofindia
This is very similar to my recordings from Siwan , Bihar , though my photos are not that good .

J.M. Garg

Dec 2, 2019, 11:32:34 AM12/2/19
to efloraofindia, dr.rakesh Singh
Thanks a lot, Manoj ji.