grass Coix? Hooghly 18/9/12 SK

surajit koley

Sep 18, 2012, 1:04:43 PM9/18/12
to efloraofindia
Sir,

I found this grass on a narrow strip of wasteland lying between railway tracks and a paddy field. I captured only a few distant shots using my 5x compact. It was not possible to go closer to record leaf or inflorescence size. So, i give an approximate value. Could it be Coix lacryma-jobi L.?

Species : UNKNOWN
Habit & Habitat : height - avg. 5 feet, a few more than 7 feet, leaves - 1 foot or more x 1.5 inches or a bit more
Date : 18/9/12, 9.58 a.m.
Place : Hooghly

Regards,

surajit
grass_kmk_120918_DSCN2054.jpg
grass_kmk_120918_DSCN2057.jpg
grass_kmk_120918_DSCN2057b.jpg
grass_kmk_120918_DSCN2059.jpg
grass_kmk_120918_DSCN2061.jpg

manoj chandran

Sep 19, 2012, 12:42:03 AM9/19/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hai !
This is Chionachne koenigii (Spreng.) Thw. Also known as Coix koenigii.
Regards...
Manoj Chandran

surajit koley

Sep 19, 2012, 12:22:09 PM9/19/12
to manoj chandran, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much Sir for the ID of this grass.

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

Nov 4, 2012, 8:04:02 AM11/4/12
to manoj chandran, indian...@googlegroups.com, J.M. Garg
Sir,

I am adding some more pictures in this thread. This grass is growing 20 feet away from the the grass in the previous set of photographs in this post. The place is the same strip of the land lying between rail tracks and paddy filed.

I think this is also Coix gigantea as per your keys in another thread at - https://groups.google.com/d/topic/indiantreepix/DSlTblj9k0I/discussion.

These pictures were taken yesterday, 3rd Nov., 2012.

Thank you very much,

Regards,

surajit

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 10:12 AM, manoj chandran <mach...@gmail.com> wrote: