Mollem National Park :: Jasminum multiflorum :: DVMAR07/07

Dinesh Valke

Mar 2, 2015, 9:14:28 AM3/2/15
to efloraofindia

Mollem National Park
Mollem National Park ... Goa
Date: 23 APR 2011 ... Altitude: about 200 m asl

Jasminum multiflorum (Burm.f.) Andrews ... (family: Oleaceae)
Jasminum multiflorum (Burm.f.) Andrews

Kunda (Sanskrit: कुन्द)

Kunda (Hindi: कुंद)
Regards.
Dinesh

gurinder goraya

Mar 2, 2015, 6:29:20 PM3/2/15
to Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Dear Dinesh ji,

What a lively and refreshing pic!!! As I opened the file, I felt as if the room has got filled with soothing fragrance of the jasmine flowers.... thanks for sharing the pic.

Regards,

Dr. G S Goraya, IFS
Deputy Director General (Research),
Indian Council of Forestry Research & Education,
New Forest, DEHRADUN-248 006.
Uttarakhand, India.

Tel: 0135-2757775 (O); 094180 25036 (Mob.);

Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 19:44:25 +0530
Subject: [efloraofindia:217210] Mollem National Park :: Jasminum multiflorum :: DVMAR07/07
From: dinesh...@gmail.com
To: indian...@googlegroups.com

Mollem National Park
Mollem National Park ... Goa
Date: 23 APR 2011 ... Altitude: about 200 m asl

Jasminum multiflorum (Burm.f.) Andrews ... (family: Oleaceae)
Jasminum multiflorum (Burm.f.) Andrews

Kunda (Sanskrit: ?????)

Kunda (Hindi: ????)
Regards.
Dinesh

Nidhan Singh

Mar 2, 2015, 9:20:13 PM3/2/15
to gurinder goraya, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Very beautiful pics Dinesh Ji..
--
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Assistant Professor
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

Dinesh Valke

Mar 3, 2015, 12:47:35 AM3/3/15
to Nidhan Singh, gurinder goraya, indiantreepix
Thank you very much Gurinder ji and Nidhan ji for the appreciation.
Regards.
Dinesh

Ushadi Micromini

Mar 3, 2015, 2:30:43 AM3/3/15
to Dinesh Valke, Nidhan Singh, gurinder goraya, indiantreepix
Spectacular graphic set up
esp the second picture
love the diffuse brick  color border at bottom
throws the flowers in a better contrast ...
very important for white flowers

technically great too
usha di
Usha di
===========

surajitkoley

Mar 4, 2015, 10:11:08 PM3/4/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Dinesh Valke
Dinesh Ji,

It looks different to what I have, identified by Santhosh Sir, twice.
I think your flickr uploads of J. multiflorum and J. coarctatum got mixed up.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you
Regards
surajit

Dinesh Valke

Mar 7, 2015, 7:01:01 AM3/7/15
to surajitkoley, efloraofindia
I went through all the posts in the group's database. Those posted from the north India as J. multiflorum are definitely different from what I have posted. The posted plant agrees very well with J. coarctatum.

I also found another post from south (Anurag's ANFEB29) which was thought to be J. multiflorum - but you have commented as J. coarctatum.

Many many thanks Surajit ji for validating this ID. Will correct my notes at flickr soon.

Regards,
Dinesh

surajit koley

Mar 7, 2015, 10:26:47 AM3/7/15
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dinesh Ji,

I think the confusion lies in the description of bracts. Even Flora Indica recorded bracts are few, lanceolate in J. pubescens. Surprisingly FI doesn't give description of bracts of J. coarctatum, only informs. "amply bracted."

Sir Prain also recorded that bracts, in J. pubescens, often absent, if present ovate-lanceolate.

Only Haines, in his BoBO, described "bracts same shape as leaves".

Perhaps Rheede's illustration may also created confusion which was addressed in FBI. You might have already read the FBI and other literature. Yet I attach here the FBI and BoBO entry, for further examination.

Thank you very much.

Regards

surajit

FBI_jasminum.jpg
Haines_jasminum.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Mar 8, 2015, 6:30:54 AM3/8/15
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Thanks Surajit ji for dissection of the various descriptions !

Just for information, a descriptive name given in Tamil lexicon [Madras], University of Madras for J. rottlerianum ... synonym of J. coarctatum var coarctatum. is white-bracted jasmine ! Not sure whether the bracts of J. coarctatum are indeed white-coloured; it could also imply the bracts are brighter OR lighter tone than that of other Jasminum species.

Regards.
Dinesh

surajit koley

Mar 8, 2015, 10:21:03 AM3/8/15
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Yes, Dinesh Ji, I agree, I have read about white bracts in FBI, of coarctatum and rottlerianum. FBI says "prominent white" in both. I couldn't find, in the net, the paper, 'Taxonomic notes on two...', Santhosh Ji mentioned in the thread - https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/w71Qu08WXV8/kK1z788DNQwJ.

However, Wight recorded, in his Ic Pl, bracts of J. rottlerianum are with "pale whitish hue". FBI has a var. of rottlerianum, var. thwaitesii from 'Nilgherries' where bracts are "whitish".

I can be wrong while trying to guess and express my thoughts about the two species, coarctatum complex, and mutiflorum, my points are -
  • in illustration of Burm. f. of J. multiflorum no bract can be seen
  • FoC informs bracts in multiflorum are leafy, basal ovate, upper linear (please also see note in FBI)
  • if you see the corolla tubes in your photographs you will notice tube is rather extended, inflated in the upper part, just bellow the spreading lobes, which I think are missing in multiflorum uploads, both in cultivated form and in wild form
  • I think in multiflorum corolla tube evenly dilated from base to lobes
  • if you permit me I think your https://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/12909870533/sizes/l  series is multiflorum
Thank you
Regards
surajit

Dinesh Valke

Mar 8, 2015, 11:04:57 AM3/8/15
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Surajit ji, thanks very much ... by now, I have lost my familiarity with coarctatum & multiflorum; I will have to slowly build it up in due course by meeting them in future.

About the point where you are suggesting one of my plants as multiflorum, requesting you to look at other views of the same plant and express your views with confidence. Will then gladly correct my notes at flickr.

Regards.
Dinesh

surajit koley

Mar 8, 2015, 12:57:52 PM3/8/15
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dinesh Ji,

I am really sorry that I gave you a wrong direction, regarding the ID of https://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/12909870533/sizes/l. There is a problem here and in the series you have linked. I only stressed on bracts, overlooked number of corolla lobes.

Again I think none of the above series is J. coarctatum.

But, now I am hesitant about multiflorum too, for corolla lobes should be 7-9 (FoC), or 6-9 (FoP, FI). Here they are five.

The sepals in your pics are long, linear, pubescent; nerves are 4 pairs.

If we go through FBI we are left with only sambac, multiflorum and malabaricum. We can skip three or four more for they are not distributed in South-West I think.m Rest of the FBI species have sepals either short to minute lobes or glabrous.

We can skip malabaricum for number of sec. nerves is more in that species.

For, sambac, it is a real problem. It can have 5 corolla lobes (FoP). But, in wild form cymes should be few flowered, 3 (FBI), 1-5 (FoC).

Roxburgh's J. bracteatum is synonymous with J. pubescens Willd. of FBI, this var. can have 5 (5-8) corolla lobes (FI).

So, please note loops of lateral veins, your species should not be sambac, I think, either multiflorum or bracteatum Roxb. Please do check your local flora and give your opinion.

Thank you
Regards
surajit

surajit koley

Mar 8, 2015, 10:35:50 PM3/8/15
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh Ji,

You can go ahead with J. multiflorum, even after the shortage of at least one petal. The lower leaves of 2nd pic in the series clearly shows smaller leaf, just as in KEW herb.

Thank you very much for bearing with me.

Regards

surajit