Better name for "Agents"

Dmitry A.

Jan 23, 2011, 7:03:09 PM1/23/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Not too long ago we have added Agent functionality (Admin->Configuration->Website section) which allows you to schedule the Events to be run on specific time.

Perhaps, we have come across a better name for it now - Job Scheduler or Event Scheduler

I am for new Event Scheduler name - it's more descriptive than current Agents, but at the same time it directly tells you what it does since in that section we are defining which Events should be run when in date/time. Job Scheduler is close but might be misleading since we actually do NOT have such term as a Jobs in In-Portal...

Please post your opinion which of two (original or 2 new ones) you like more and explain why (if not to hard for you).

Cheers!

DA

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Jan 23, 2011, 7:06:12 PM1/23/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
I'd personnally see the things inside as "tasks", so I propose "Task Scheduler"

Dmitry A.

Jan 23, 2011, 7:32:20 PM1/23/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for posting your opinion Phil.

Do you know how the section works and which fields define what? The reason why I am asking that there is NO Task term or functionality in this section, while Event is what we actually schedule to run in specific time and repeat.

I am just trying to follow though your idea.

DA

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Jan 23, 2011, 7:45:16 PM1/23/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
Event is good also, but I see an Event as something which happens, and a Task as something we make happening ;-)

The perfect, but too long name would have been "maintenance schedule", as all these agents are maintening inportal, right?

2011/1/24 Dmitry A. <dand...@gmail.com>

Dmitry A.

Jan 23, 2011, 7:50:47 PM1/23/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
Not entirely true Phil.

Events can be ANYTHING - import, update, cleanup, basically any ACTION. The purpose of this section is to be able to schedule Events that are programmed in In-Portal already (or to be programmed) to be triggered by the website on specific date/time.

DA

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Alexander Obuhovich

Jan 24, 2011, 2:12:43 AM1/24/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
Here is more technical info.

Events, are PHP methods, that are created to do something, e.g.
  • create record in database, when user hits "Save" button on edit form
  • import rss articles
  • login user and validate his password
All events do something. Only difference is, who performs event invocation (calls it). It could be:
  • user (by specific button clicking on the page)
  • another event (one event requires additional action to be performed, that only other event know how to perform)
  • event scheduler (time-based event invocation)

I'm for "Event Scheduler".

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Jan 24, 2011, 4:41:39 AM1/24/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
thanks for clarification. Last one from me: "Regular Events" :)

Alexander Obuhovich

Jan 24, 2011, 7:03:02 AM1/24/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
Funny, but that was name of that section before it was renamed to "Agents".

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Jan 24, 2011, 7:55:26 AM1/24/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
ah :)

Dmitry A.

Jan 25, 2011, 12:10:26 AM1/25/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
Okay, creating a new task then!

DA

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Jan 25, 2011, 4:12:57 AM1/25/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
ok, and which name do we stick on?

2011/1/25 Dmitry A. <dand...@gmail.com>
Okay, creating a new task then!

DA

Dmitry A.

Jan 25, 2011, 11:05:32 PM1/25/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
I believe we all agreed on "Event Scheduler" for the new name.

Here is a new task for this:

0000981: Rename Agents section to "Event Scheduler"

Alex, what is your opinion about renaming the other parts which involve Agents terms, ie:

- Adding Agent "New Agent" => Scheduling New Event
- Editing Agent "Agent Name" => Editing Event Schedule "Title of Event"

DA

Alexander Obuhovich

Jan 26, 2011, 4:00:53 AM1/26/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
This "Editing Event Schedule" sound a bit too complicated. That page is more alike Reoccurring Event Reminder that Microsort Outlook Calendar has.

Based on this I propose "Adding Reoccurring Event" and "Editing Reoccurring Event".

And section becomes "Reoccurring Events" instead of "Agents". This will 100% tell users, that events, listed here will be executed on regular basis, according reoccurring rules.

Maybe "Editing Reoccurring Sequence" or something like this maybe even better.

DA

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Jan 26, 2011, 6:33:21 AM1/26/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
Using "microsoft-like" terminology is a good idea, as most end (admin) users are used of these terms, and we can also assume that Microsoft had thought a lot for choosing their words, why not using this work :-)

Dmitry A.

Jan 26, 2011, 12:02:57 PM1/26/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
Ok, it's fine by me.

I like - "Reoccurring Events" instead of Agent, but here is an idea.

I believe we can easily improve this Reoccurring Events NOT always stay reoccurring - in some cases you want to schedule a task to be executed and then to disappear. I think we can add this functionality shortly - not too hard at all.

This means that we should NOT limit ourselves to "Reoccurring Events" terms. I still think "Event Scheduler" is a broader and better terms here since we are scheduling the events to be run after all - some might be reoccurring, some not.

What do you think?

DA

Alexander Obuhovich

Jan 26, 2011, 1:12:43 PM1/26/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
Then propose all changed phrase translations here.

DA

Dmitry A.

Jan 27, 2011, 11:09:22 PM1/27/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Once again, I am proposing to change:

1. Agents => Scheduled Events OR Event Scheduler (let me know which one you like more)
2. Adding Agent "New Agent" => Scheduling New Event
3. Editing Agent "Agent Name" => Editing Event Schedule "Title of Event"

There might be a few more phrases that need to be changed, but they will be changed based on what we select for the main terms change.

Thanks for your time and opinion!

DA

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Jan 28, 2011, 6:56:53 AM1/28/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
not too bad ;-)

2011/1/26 Alexander Obuhovich <aik....@gmail.com>
Then propose all changed phrase translations here.

Alexander Obuhovich

Jan 28, 2011, 12:17:57 PM1/28/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
Ok.

Then event handler class would be renamed from "AgentEventHandler" to "EventScheduleEventHandler" :)

Dmitry A.

Jan 28, 2011, 3:37:58 PM1/28/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
In other words, we are ready to completely get rid of Agent term in translations and Code?

Please confirm so I can update the task accordingly.

DA

Alexander Obuhovich

Jan 29, 2011, 3:56:30 AM1/29/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I guess I just have to live with EventScheduleEventHandler class now.

DA

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Jan 29, 2011, 1:03:49 PM1/29/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
:D

Alexander Obuhovich

Nov 14, 2011, 6:02:57 AM11/14/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
Maybe it's already late to suggest, but I've see awesome name to give to agents on some website:

Scheduled Tasks.

So we have a task scheduled to run a given event at a specific times. Sounds very clean.

Phil ..:: domicilis.biz ::..

Nov 14, 2011, 8:21:26 AM11/14/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
well, it's so close to my very first proposal (Task Scheduler), that I can't say anything bad about it :)

Dmitry A.

Nov 19, 2011, 2:25:23 PM11/19/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I have re-read our discussion from the start and here are some of the replies we had:

Myself: The reason why I am asking that there is NO Task term or functionality in this section, while Event is what we actually schedule to run in specific time and repeat.

Alex:
==========
Here is more technical info.

Events, are PHP methods, that are created to do something, e.g.
  • create record in database, when user hits "Save" button on edit form
  • import rss articles
  • login user and validate his password
All events do something. Only difference is, who performs event invocation (calls it). It could be:
  • user (by specific button clicking on the page)
  • another event (one event requires additional action to be performed, that only other event know how to perform)
  • event scheduler (time-based event invocation)
I'm for "Event Scheduler".
==========

I guess, my main concern with naming it Scheduled Tasks - is it really a Task we are scheduling since we really work with Events on most if not all levels of In-Portal. So the questions is why do we need to change term Events with Tasks since we already in similar situation of calling this whole section Agents.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

DA

Alexander Obuhovich

Nov 19, 2011, 5:15:23 PM11/19/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
The Agent is a combination of settings:
  • last invocation status
  • event name
  • agent name
  • ....
which is not pure event. Also class name EventSchedulerEventHandler still sounds strange to me.

Dmitry A.

Nov 20, 2011, 4:12:58 PM11/20/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com
Okay, let's see how newly proposed name will look first:

- Adding Agent "New Agent" => Adding Scheduled Task

- Editing Agent "Agent Name" => Editing Scheduled Task "Title"

- Rename Unit Config and all Classes:
AgentEventHandler => ScheduledTaskEventHandler (scheduled_task_eh.php)
AgentTagProcessor => ScheduledTaskTagProcessor (scheduled_task_tp.php)

- table Agents change to ScheduledTasks (or ScheduledSystemTasks)

Anything you don't like or I am missing here?

By the way, I don't believe it's too late yet to use new naming if we agree on something else. The main point is to be happy with what's it called and not regret the changes down the road so I am okay with exploring the final naming since task has not been committed just yet.

DA

Alexander Obuhovich

Nov 21, 2011, 3:18:30 AM11/21/11
to in-port...@googlegroups.com