Stop the "newer version is available" notices!!

Meltemi

Jan 7, 2010, 8:54:03 PM1/7/10
to Growl Discuss
I've upgraded to 1.2 on two machines and every day or so they both get
another Growl notification that a "newer version is available" and I
should click to download...

-- - I've tried checking and unchecking "Check for updates
automatically". Doesn't help!

-- - I've tried reinstalling 1.2 over the current installed 1.2 to no
avail.

-- - I've looked for duplicate Growl.prefPane in /Library/
PreferencePanes (found it!), in ~/Library/PreferencePanes (no such
folder), AND in /System/PreferencePanes (Growl.prefPane not present).

Short of uninstalling and then re-installing on both machines what is
going on here?!? It's getting annoying! Was all working fine until
1.2...

Peter Hosey

Jan 8, 2010, 5:32:52 AM1/8/10
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On Jan 7, 2010, at 17:54:03, Meltemi wrote:
> I've upgraded to 1.2 on two machines and every day or so they both get
> another Growl notification that a "newer version is available" …

Interesting.

Please try this:

http://bitbucket.org/boredzo/application-locator/downloads/

In that app, type in “com.growl.growlhelperapp” and press enter, and
let us know where it takes you.

Meltemi

Jan 12, 2010, 6:54:10 PM1/12/10
to Growl Discuss
On Jan 8, 2:32 am, Peter Hosey <p...@growl.info> wrote:

> In that app, type in “com.growl.growlhelperapp” and press enter, and
> let us know where it takes you.

takes me here:

/Library/PreferencePanes/Growl.prefPane/Contents/Resources/
GrowlHelperApp

Joyride

Mar 5, 2012, 4:01:09 AM3/5/12
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Has this been resolved?

Please post the instructions to stop this distracting, persistent upgrade notice.

Christopher Forsythe

Mar 5, 2012, 9:26:04 PM3/5/12
to growld...@googlegroups.com
There are instructions linked here:  http://growl.info/growlupdateavailable

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 3:01 AM, Joyride <icedb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Has this been resolved?

Please post the instructions to stop this distracting, persistent upgrade notice.

douglasheld

Mar 22, 2012, 5:08:38 AM3/22/12
to Growl Discuss
I am running Growl 1.2.2 on OS X Lion.

On a guess, I've opened System Preferences->Growl->Applications

Select Growl, the application. Uncheck "enabled"
After a restart of Growl, one time I did see this box return to
checked. So I suggest the additional step:

Select Growl. Click Configure... and then Notifications.

Select "Growl update available" from the list. Uncheck "Enabled".

Let's see how that works.