NEW: Shared Tags and Broader Smart Queues

Cameron (GQueues)

Feb 24, 2012, 7:23:03 PM2/24/12
to gqu...@googlegroups.com
Two new features rolled out today:

1. Shared tags - you can now view, add and remove tags on tasks in queues that are shared with you.  These tasks also show up when you click on a tag name to see all tasks with that tag.

2. Broader Smart Queues - assignments and tasks shared with you now show up in smart queues.  Hopefully this makes it easier to see everything in one spot.

I've already received some feedback about still having the option to only see tasks you own in smart queues.  I'll look towards making this an option you can set in the smart queue definition.

-Cameron

Mike Wilday

Feb 24, 2012, 7:28:41 PM2/24/12
to GQueues Discussion Forum
Thanks Cameron!

Mike Wilday

Feb 24, 2012, 8:12:33 PM2/24/12
to GQueues Discussion Forum
Cameron,

As you consider the option for only seeing tasks you own, consider
that someone may want to include tasks assigned to them but NOT queues
that have been shared with them.

On another note, I have seen drop down lists before that allow you to
Cntrl-click to select more than one option... what is the possibility
of adding this functionality to the drop down in the Smart Queues
definition so that a person could select more than one queue?

Mike

Stacey Frye

Feb 25, 2012, 2:35:23 PM2/25/12
to GQueues Discussion Forum
Either of these options would help solve the problem of seeing
everything in the lists and would give us the option to see all if we
needed to.

Matthew Rideout

Feb 26, 2012, 12:05:21 PM2/26/12
to gqu...@googlegroups.com
Cameron, this has infuriated me. My display of "all Items" now includes hundreds of items from other people which I do not care to see. I only want to see all of my own queues and items., not everyone else's.

I also do not appreciate functionality changing so drastically without warning or input.

Cameron (GQueues Team)

Feb 26, 2012, 3:32:11 PM2/26/12
to gqu...@googlegroups.com
Matthew - I'm sorry for the frustration this has caused and the lack of warning.  I realize now some people still want to limit smart queues to just tasks they own.  I'm working on adding this option and should have it out in the next day or two.

Again, my apologies.

Cameron

Stacey Frye

Feb 27, 2012, 9:23:12 AM2/27/12
to GQueues Discussion Forum
Counting the days.... Thank you for addressing this so quickly.

On Feb 26, 2:32 pm, "Cameron (GQueues Team)" <came...@gqueues.com>
wrote:
> Matthew - I'm sorry for the frustration this has caused and the lack of
> warning.  I realize now some people still want to limit smart queues to
> just tasks they own.  I'm working on adding this option and should have it
> out in the next day or two.
>
> Again, my apologies.
>
> Cameron
>
> On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Matthew Rideout
> <mride...@marshallpr.com>wrote:
>

> > Cameron, this has infuriated me. My display of "all Items" now includes *hundreds
> > *of items from other people which I do not care to see. I only want to
Message has been deleted

Jacob Floyd

Feb 27, 2012, 11:38:04 AM2/27/12
to gqu...@googlegroups.com
You've been talking about this feature for quite some time. I'm glad to see you've finished it now.

Hooray for Cameron!

--Jacob Floyd

Jonathan

Feb 28, 2012, 9:53:24 AM2/28/12
to gqu...@googlegroups.com
In my Smart Queue definition, I don't see how to designate tasks that have been assigned to me (as opposed to from me).  Is the feature not turned on right now?  I'm confused.

Jonathan

Cameron (GQueues Team)

Feb 29, 2012, 12:54:52 PM2/29/12
to gqu...@googlegroups.com
In Smart Queue definitions you can now choose whether the tasks come from your entire account ( tasks you own, tasks shared with you and tasks assigned to you), just tasks you own or tasks you own and those assigned to you.

Inline image 1

Hopefully this will allow you to see exactly what you desire now.  Thanks everyone for bringing up this issue and your patience as I implemented these options.

-Cameron

Cameron (GQueues)

Feb 29, 2012, 1:05:11 PM2/29/12
to gqu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonathan -

If you just want to see your assignments you can use the built-in Assignments queue:

Otherwise, now with this new feature, tasks assigned to you are automatically included when they meet the criteria of the Smart Queue.  For example, now when you look at your Overdue Smart Queue, it will show all the overdue tasks in your own queues, as well as any tasks assigned to you that are overdue.  Does that make more sense?

-Cameron

MikeM

Mar 9, 2012, 11:32:25 AM3/9/12
to gqu...@googlegroups.com
I'm a bit confused on how the 'shared tags' feature works.   I have one other person, who is setup as a collaborator in several of my queues.   In my shared queue, I have tagged items.  (Product Management, for example).   'Product management' shows up in my Tag panel list, but not in my collaborators Tag panel list.  How can my collaborator see the tags I have created, and vice-versa?    We tried creating a smart queue, but it never presents you with a list of tags created by other users (only your own).    The idea is to have a shared 'product management' tag, so either of us can run a report from all the shared queues to use it for our open items meetings with PM.

Thanks for the help!

Mike

Cameron (GQueues Team)

Mar 13, 2012, 8:25:41 PM3/13/12
to gqu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike -

Before, when you went to a queue that was shared with you, if the tasks in that queue had tags you would not be able to see them as a collaborator.  Now those tags are visible to you, and you can click on them to see all tasks with that tag.

Tags from shared queues are not automatically added to your list of tags / Tag Panel.  This decision was intentional.  Just because someone shares a queue with you doesn't mean you necessarily want all their tags.

So here's how it can work for your situation:

CoworkerX creates a queue and shares it with you.  CoworkerX tags tasks with 'product management'.  If you want this tag as well, then just tag any task with 'product management' and it will be added to your list of tags and you can create smart queues off of this or just click the tag name in the tag panel.  Doing so will pull all tasks with this tag from the queues you own, as well as those queue shared with you.

You can also add tags to your account without having to add the tag to a specific task by going into Settings:

Inline image 1
Does that help?

-Cameron

MikeM

lak...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2012, 10:36:40 AM3/31/12
to gqu...@googlegroups.com
Smart queues is a good feature! Thanks.

But it's a bit strange that week  in the smart queues doesn't match with week in my calendar. In Russia, week starts at Monday, and ends in Sunday, but beginning of the week in smart queues still starts at sunday. Could you please fix it.

I have the following scenario: At the end of each week i look over all task i completed during the week. So i've created the smartQueue "lastWeek" and on whenever i want to check progress split by categories/queues I press the "achived" button (if i understand it right, "Archived" is something like "Completed") and analyze completed tasks sorted by queues. Very comfortable. If only the week could start at Monday. The other thing that is need is to look one or two or a few weeks back in the past.
May be, it's not what is the smartqueues were made for, may be, what i'm talking about would better fit in the possible future "Report" feature or something like that.

Cameron (GQueues Team)

Mar 31, 2012, 4:47:11 PM3/31/12
to gqu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike -

You can set what day your week starts on in GQueues Settings.

http://www.gqueues.com/help/calendarIntegration#weekStart

A smart queue for tasks from the beginning of this week to the end of this week are based on this setting.

-Cameron

Mike Lakunin

Mar 31, 2012, 5:11:23 PM3/31/12
to gqu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cameron!

This is what i'm talking about. I have this option set, and when i pick a date it works well (it shows as it should that monday is the first day of the week), but it does not for smart queues.
For example now (it's already sunday in Russia), it shows me tasks from the next week ( from sunday the1st  to 7th of April), while actually it should show tasks from the 26th of march to1st of april.

Thanks,
Mike

On Sunday, April 1, 2012 12:47:11 AM UTC+4, Cameron (GQueues) wrote:
Hi Mike -

You can set what day your week starts on in GQueues Settings.

http://www.gqueues.com/help/calendarIntegration#weekStart

A smart queue for tasks from the beginning of this week to the end of this week are based on this setting.

-Cameron

Cameron (GQueues Team)

Apr 4, 2012, 12:21:57 PM4/4/12
to gqu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike -

I was able to confirm the bug.  I've created a fix which will go out with the next update to the site.  Thanks again for reporting this issue.

-Cameron

te...@ruddellfarms.com

Apr 11, 2012, 5:17:42 PM4/11/12
to gqu...@googlegroups.com
 Wondering if possible to share tags? Been finding that when my employer creates tags, or vice versa, we do not have one another's tags in our tags list automatically....am i missing something? or is that not yet possible?
Message has been deleted

Cameron (GQueues Team)

Apr 13, 2012, 11:24:32 AM4/13/12
to gqu...@googlegroups.com
Yes, tags are shared (meaning they show up in shared queues), but they are NOT automatically added to your task list.  See my explanation earlier in this discussion on how you and a co-worker can use the same set of tags:

-Cameron

Mike Lakunin

May 18, 2012, 8:10:16 AM5/18/12
to gqu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cameron!
Concerning the announcement of the new release. Was the fix applied in this release?

This bug was pretty annoying for me.
Thanks in advance,
Mike

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 9:36 AM, <lakunma> wrote:
[...]

Cameron (GQueues Team)

May 18, 2012, 12:02:34 PM5/18/12
to gqu...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for not following up, Mike.  I just double-checked and yes, this fix went out in the latest release (with the new look), so smart queues should be working correctly now with timezones and weeks starting on alternative days.

-Cameron

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gqueues/-/ScjG5juaHf8J.

ldexter...@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2016, 2:43:33 AM12/30/16