Resolving client issues when emulated stack trace is not available

wytten

May 31, 2012, 10:58:47 AM5/31/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking for practical advice here; we have a GWT application in pre-production pilot.
It is working rather well, but occasionally transient client errors occur.
We are using an uncaught exception handler, but the information that it reports is
very sparse (For example in IE6, "Object doesn't support this property or method")

I've tried turning on emulated stack traces in development, but due to performance
I haven't been able to leave it turned on, and therefore it is not active in the pilot environment.

What else I can do to track down these issues?  In one case the problem consistently happens
on 2 or 3 client machines, but not on any of the others.

Regarding the practical usability of emulated stack traces, I'm surprised that no one else seems
to have reported this problem.  Only yesterday I had a similar experience in development where
I thought using emulated stack traces would save the day, only to be disappointed again that
turning them on made the application unusable.  (I believe this is a client memory issue)
Should I open a GWT issue?  A possible enhancement that comes to mind is to create emulated
stack traces only for certain packages, to conserve memory.

Thanks.

Paul Robinson

May 31, 2012, 11:27:57 AM5/31/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
You can deobfuscate non-emulated stack traces. Check out com.google.gwt.logging.server.StackTraceDeobfuscator

You need to arrange for the symbol maps created at compile time to be available.

Note that you can also set up another permutation so that you have emulated stack traces or not, and set up two host html files to choose whether emulated stack traces are on. That way, you can have a production compile that most people use, but then occasionally you can switch to see the same thing with emulated stacks turned on.

Emulated stacks tend to show slightly different information from deobfuscated stack traces.

HTH
Paul

wytten

May 31, 2012, 3:56:39 PM5/31/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that, I am now generating multiple permutations, and have updated the stackoverflow question with this information.