FireFox 5.0

john destefano

Jun 13, 2011, 9:59:08 AM6/13/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi,

Just updated my OS (Ubuntu 11.04 -64) and got the latest version of
firefox which is 5.0. The GWT plugin no longer works. Says that it's
not compatible with 5.0. Any idea when a compatible version will be
released?

Thx

Jim Douglas

Jun 13, 2011, 1:23:15 PM6/13/11
to Google Web Toolkit
You must have installed a beta; the current released version of
Firefox is 4.0.1.

Firefox 5 is scheduled for release next Tuesday (June 21st).

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases

Hilco Wijbenga

Jun 13, 2011, 2:47:25 PM6/13/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

AFAIK, FF5 is not out yet. So what you have is either FF4 or the FF5
preview. The plugin works with FF4. Do you really want the GWT team to
spend time on getting it to it to work with a *preview* version? :-)

Khun Yee Fung

Jun 15, 2011, 12:10:55 PM6/15/11
to Google Web Toolkit
I got FF5.0 when I updated my Ubuntu development box last week. A
mistake somewhere? I rolled it back to FF4.0.1 when the GWT plugin
would not run on it.

If you don't want to wait until FF5.0 is supported by GWT, you can
roll FF back to 4.0.1.

To roll back to 4.0.1,

1. Start Synaptic Package Manager
2. Search for firefox. And then click on the line.
3. Click on the "Package" menu item at the top (between "Edit" and
"Settings").
4. Choose "Force Version".
5. Select 4.0.1.

Click "Apply" to get FF 4.0.1 back.

Every time you update Ubuntu from now on, make sure FF is not updated
by un-selecting the checkbox beside FF.

Thomas Broyer

Jun 15, 2011, 12:19:38 PM6/15/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
…or check your "software sources" (don't know how they call it in English, but well, your package sources) and make sure you don't have any Firefox-related PPA, such as http://ppa.launchpad.net/mozillateam/firefox-next/ubuntu or http://ppa.launchpad.net/mozillateam/ppa/ubuntu.

Or maybe you're updating to Oneiric rather than Natty? Oneiric has Firefox 5.0 beta: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/

Chris Conroy

Jun 15, 2011, 2:08:57 PM6/15/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Given that Mozilla has a very recent track record of making binary incompatible changes leading up to release (even after claiming they were frozen), it doesn't make sense for us to invest any time in supporting FF5 until we have at least some notion of the binary interfaces being stable. Presuming no major breakages, we should be able to support FF5 shortly after proper its proper release.

Joris

Jun 22, 2011, 5:05:30 AM6/22/11
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I just upgraded to FF5, and now get the message "Development Mode requires the
Google Web Toolkit Developer Plugin". But it doesn't work for FF5 (Sorry, the
GWT Developer Plugin only supports Firefox 3.0 - 4.0 at present). When should
it be working for FF5?

Thanks!

ialpert

Jun 22, 2011, 11:05:05 AM6/22/11
to Google Web Toolkit
I did the upgrade/downgrade myself today... Was going to use chrome's
version of the plugin but it's really under performing.

On Jun 22, 6:05 am, Joris <j...@get.be> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just upgraded to FF5, and now get the message "Development Mode requires the
> Google Web Toolkit Developer Plugin".  But it doesn't work for FF5 (Sorry, the
> GWT Developer Plugin only supportsFirefox3.0 - 4.0 at present).  When should

Samyem Tuladhar

Jun 22, 2011, 11:09:34 AM6/22/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Firefox is automatically upgrading to version 5 today and then GWT plugin stops working. Since they have got the final release out now, it should be considered API frozen now right?

Chris Conroy

Jun 22, 2011, 11:21:18 AM6/22/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
As I said in my previous mail, there is going to be lag between their release and our ability to support Firefox 5. They released just yesterday, and upgrading the plugin sdks and spinning new builds is not the quickest process in the world. To continue working with GWT Devmode, you should either downgrade your installed version or simply run a Firefox 4 binary uninstalled (you can download, extract, and run by grabbing tarballs off of Mozilla's FTP server)

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Samyem Tuladhar <sam...@gmail.com> wrote:
Firefox is automatically upgrading to version 5 today and then GWT plugin stops working. Since they have got the final release out now, it should be considered API frozen now right?

Thad

Jun 22, 2011, 11:39:54 AM6/22/11
to Google Web Toolkit
FireFox 5.0 is out today. I was alerted to it by FireFox 4.0.1, and
just downloaded it.

kfer38

Jun 25, 2011, 3:35:28 PM6/25/11
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
FF5 has been out for many days now and there's still
no gwt plugin for it so I'm still using ff4. I tried switching to chrome
but had many difficulties using it. I get errors in eclipse, and
my project causes chrome to always display "unresponsive script...
kill process or wait" message which gets annoying. One question
I have is,how to you change the default browser on
eclipse and speedtracer plugin?

Filipe Sousa

Jun 25, 2011, 4:16:25 PM6/25/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, Google-We...@googlegroups.com
I compiled the plugin for Fedora 15 x86_64 bit and it works for me.

Thomas Broyer

Jun 27, 2011, 7:59:41 AM6/27/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, Google-We...@googlegroups.com

Hristo Sabev

Jun 27, 2011, 3:00:52 PM6/27/11
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Any suggestions when the windows release would be available?

Thomas Broyer

Jun 27, 2011, 7:07:35 PM6/27/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, Google-We...@googlegroups.com
I think it should be included now, along with OSX support, starting with r10402 a few hours ago.

Chris Conroy

Jun 27, 2011, 7:21:48 PM6/27/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
The production update URL just went live :-) You should get an auto-update shortly, or you can manually grab the plugin from http://gwt.google.com/missing-plugin/MissingPlugin.html

I'll note that Mozilla didn't have an OSX 64 bit SDK released until this morning, and that was a blocker for our ability to release. Once the process for their new release schedule settles down, we'll hopefully be able to have quicker turnaround. That may take a couple of releases, however.

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 7:07 PM, Thomas Broyer <t.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think it should be included now, along with OSX support, starting with r10402 a few hours ago.

ialpert

Jun 27, 2011, 8:48:27 PM6/27/11
to Google Web Toolkit
> The production update URL just went live :-) You should get an auto-update

Excellent! Any insite into Chrome's slowness with the plugin (or
should i post a new discussion thread)?

Chris Conroy

Jun 27, 2011, 9:39:52 PM6/27/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Please discuss that on a separate thread. Short answer: there is some progress being made on a couple of fronts, but no real performance improvements to speak of yet.

Cristiano

Jun 28, 2011, 4:06:55 AM6/28/11
to Google Web Toolkit
good, thank you!