Lienzo is now GA and it's Pixel Perfect!

Alfredo Quiroga-Villamil

Dec 14, 2012, 1:11:28 PM12/14/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
All:

Just a quick announcement letting everyone know that Lienzo is now GA!

If you are looking to do anything canvas based, games, animations, new unthinkable widgets for either mobile or web based apps, I think you will find that Lienzo covers in this, its 1.0 version the vast majority of the things you will need.

We have invested a great deal of time to make sure the library is as solid as it can be. However, nothing beats community feedback and new ideas. There are a handful of things that we plan on adding to the toolkit in the next release, but if you have any suggestions, please feel free to drop us a line. Lienzo is an Apache 2 library and its creation is the result of our own needs so we are not only producers but also consumers of the package.

As part of this release we put a lot of effort into creating not only the software itself but also good resources to help you in your journey to create literally anything you can think of. That's how powerful canvas and GWT together we think can be.

As usual, none, none of this would have been possible without GWT. We extend our gratitude to those that continue to make GWT better and hope that this latest addition helps others create things that were only possible in our imagination before, at least creating them in a much easier fashion.

Lienzo User Guide:

Lienzo Explorer:

Lienzo Download:

The Emitrom Team
lienzo_banner.png

darkflame

Dec 15, 2012, 11:53:57 AM12/15/12
to Google Web Toolkit
Just had a quick look at the Explorer examples, some really nifty
stuff there!
Too late for us to implement into our current project, but fantastic
work!

On Dec 14, 7:11 pm, Alfredo Quiroga-Villamil <laww...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> All:
>
> Just a quick announcement letting everyone know that Lienzo is now GA!
>
> If you are looking to do anything canvas based, games, animations, new
> unthinkable widgets for either mobile or web based apps, I think you will
> find that Lienzo covers in this, its 1.0 version the vast majority of the
> things you will need.
>
> We have invested a great deal of time to make sure the library is as solid
> as it can be. However, nothing beats community feedback and new ideas.
> There are a handful of things that we plan on adding to the toolkit in the
> next release, but if you have any suggestions, please feel free to drop us
> a line. Lienzo is an Apache 2 library and its creation is the result of our
> own needs so we are not only producers but also consumers of the package.
>
> As part of this release we put a lot of effort into creating not only the
> software itself but also good resources to help you in your journey to
> create literally anything you can think of. That's how powerful canvas and
> GWT together we think can be.
>
> As usual, none, none of this would have been possible without GWT. We
> extend our gratitude to those that continue to make GWT better and hope
> that this latest addition helps others create things that were only
> possible in our imagination before, at least creating them in a much easier
> fashion.
>
> *Community: *
>
> https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/111441257302891144143
>
> *Lienzo User Guide:*
>
> http://wiki.emitrom.com/wiki/index.php/Lienzo_User_Manual
>
> *Lienzo Explorer:*
>
> http://www.emitrom-lienzo.appspot.com/
>
> *Lienzo Download:*
>
> http://www.emitrom.com/lienzo/download
>
> The Emitrom Team
>
>  lienzo_banner.png
> 37KViewDownload

Alfredo Quiroga

Dec 15, 2012, 3:32:59 PM12/15/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, Google Web Toolkit
Thank you much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone

Oliver Krylow

Dec 15, 2012, 4:01:36 PM12/15/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

Hi, this looks very interesting. Do you think this is practical for mobile devices?

What do you think the battery drain would be compared to normal gwt widgets and css animations especially?

The explorer showcase unfortunately does not behave well on my mobile phone ( galaxy sII android 4.2). The canvas is not scrollable and does not scale. I assume you focused on targeting the desktop first, which makes sense :-)

In case you plan to target mobile I am the future I would be lost interested to help in any performance related tests, especially animations.

- Oliver

Alfredo Quiroga-Villamil

Dec 15, 2012, 4:35:51 PM12/15/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi Oliver:

We think is very practical for Mobile Devices. One thing that is of particular interest to us is for the most part the universality of a widget created based on canvas. You are more or less guaranteed it'll look the same in any desktop/mobile or any device for that matter implementing the canvas spec. Something that was once a dream for many using webkit but due to the current fragmentation, it has become harder to achieve.

In this case for static "views", a canvas it's nothing but a bunch of pixels drawn on the screen which is out of the box resolution independent. So compare that to building complex DOM structures in the browser and there is already a gained benefit. When it comes to animations for example, the way things are done is pretty efficient I have to say. An animation is typically wrapped in a requestAnimationFrame (http://google-web-toolkit.googlecode.com/svn/javadoc/2.4/com/google/gwt/animation/client/AnimationScheduler.html). This is a rather efficient operation since it allows the browser to realize the animation in the most efficient way.  Very important since it allows the browser to trigger the next animation step when it needs to. Something interesting in this area is how the actual implementation works. If you go to a different tab, navigate away from the view, etc... all the animations are suspended. That by itself will automatically save CPU cycles, battery and resources. Also the sort of animations that we can now create are not bound the the ones provided by browsers. We can animate anything we want to in previously unimaginable ways.

Lienzo 1.0 supports most the core functionality that will be needed to build things on top for Mobile or Desktop. That is, we support dragging in a mobile device, events, etc... Things such as scrolling, scaling and others are likely to be created and added as another library that will seat on top of it. More of a widget library at that point. Hard to draw the line but as of now that's the idea. Doesn't mean they won't get added to Lienzo directly in the near future.

Help is something that we really, really need. More so when it comes to creating test cases, analyzing performance, battery on mobile devices, CPU utilization, you name it. We have made Lienzo very extensible so creating widgets or modules on top of it should be very easy. Creating a chart library, widgets and other cool things. We have created some examples for possible widgets such as Sliders, Progress Bars, Toggle Buttons and we were ourselves surprised to realize how simple it was to do so. And they are slick. Since you have total control over shadows, gradients, I mean you can pretty much do whatever you want. So yes, please by all means if you have some time and can give it a try and see if you can come up with some tests, etc... it would be really, really cool.

Man sorry for the long email :( didn't mean for it to be this long.

Really appreciate the feedback/questions/ideas and we look forward to a lot more so we can improve things and make them better for all.
Alfredo Quiroga-Villamil

AOL/Yahoo/Gmail/MSN IM:  lawwton

Aldin Habibović

Dec 15, 2012, 12:44:39 PM12/15/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I want just one: GWT+MySQL JDBC + Google App Engine :)

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 5:53 PM, darkflame <dark...@gmail.com> wrote:
ook at

David

Jan 2, 2013, 2:42:20 PM1/2/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
This is wonderful!

Do you know where I can find the bits of the demo source that are not visible in the Lienzo Explorer?  i.e. com.emitrom.lienzo.demo.client.common.WidgetLayer

thanks

Alfredo Quiroga-Villamil

Jan 2, 2013, 3:08:48 PM1/2/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com