The new GMail layout

Jaroslav Záruba

Oct 21, 2011, 4:13:37 AM10/21/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hello

Once again I wonder if/why Google doesn't use GWT on its own projects...? Looking at the ?leaked? video of the new GMail layout we see the window being resized, and the layout redraws/resizes *after* the window resizing is done. This doesn't look like GWT to me, where the new panels resize themselves instantly as you move the mouse. Am I mistaken? If the layout is written in GWT why do we see that slow resizing there?

Regards
  J. Záruba

Alain Ekambi

Oct 21, 2011, 4:19:20 AM10/21/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Was nt  GMail created before GWT ?
GWT is beeig used in a lot of other google projects.

Gal Dolber

Oct 21, 2011, 4:24:14 AM10/21/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Gmail does not use gwt but http://code.google.com/closure/

Don't use GWT because Google made it and use it in some projects.. decide by yourself if is a good fit for your needs or not.
I didn't use Closure, but I'm sure its a great project. If you're not sure with gwt you should definitely try Closure or some other alternative.

And finally, you can easily make those kind of adaptive panels using layout panels with percentage sizes, or controlling the resize programmatically.

Regards

2011/10/21 Jaroslav Záruba <jarosla...@gmail.com>

Guit: Elegant, beautiful, modular and *production ready* gwt applications.

http://code.google.com/p/guit/

Jaroslav Záruba

Oct 21, 2011, 4:42:31 AM10/21/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Resizing panels programatically is what causes that kind of delays. GWT introduced the new panel layouts to get rid exactly of that, so the resizing is done natively by browser, as you probably know.
I don't need to decide about GWT, I love it! :)

Thanks for that Closure info guys, I didn't know that,