Re: Eclipse Update has broken all GWT Projects?

Dennis Haupt

Jul 28, 2012, 8:21:37 AM7/28/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
i simply cannot resist
***USE INTELLIJ***
;)

what happens if you open the project with an old version? don't you have
any backups?

Am 28.07.2012 00:58, schrieb Chris:
> I just updated eclipse and now all GWT projects are broken. I inspect
> the installation and I see everything is installed, the problem is that:
>
> *All my run configurations are gone
>
> *There is no option to run anything as Web Application.
>
> *Error log includes:
> -Unable to restore perspective: Workspace - Java.
> -Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in:
> "org.eclipse.ui.workbench".
>
> *Errors in build path:
> [Persisted Container]
> "com.google.gwt.eclipse.core.GWT_CONTAINER"
> gwt-user.jar (missing)
> gwt-dev.jar (missing)
>

> Can anyone offer a suggestion what I might do to fix this?
>
> What is a persisted container?
>
> Is there a roll-back mechanism in Eclipse?

Joseph Lust

Jul 28, 2012, 11:12:29 AM7/28/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Generally speaking, always be careful when updating Eclipse. Pick and choose the updates as there is no better way to break Eclipse than to run Update. For example, for various platforms 1.7 SVN clients are still quite sparse, but the Subclipse plugin will always gleefully leap from 1.6.x to 1.8.x on update, breaking your SVN support.

However, on that same issue, JetBrains is a bit of a stalwart. Just because you pay for it, does not mean their updates come quickly. Last year their TeamCity plugin (for IntelliJ and Eclipse) was delayed nearly 7 months, in cause you wanted to support SVN 1.7. ;)

Sincerely,
Joseph

Jeffrey Chimene

Jul 29, 2012, 1:34:09 AM7/29/12
On 7/27/2012 3:58 PM, Chris wrote:
> I just updated eclipse and now all GWT projects are broken. I inspect
> the installation and I see everything is installed, the problem is that:
>
> *All my run configurations are gone
>
> *There is no option to run anything as Web Application.
>
> *Error log includes:
> -Unable to restore perspective: Workspace - Java.
> -Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in:
> "org.eclipse.ui.workbench".
>
> *Errors in build path:
> [Persisted Container]
> "com.google.gwt.eclipse.core.GWT_CONTAINER"
> gwt-user.jar (missing)
> gwt-dev.jar (missing)
>

> Can anyone offer a suggestion what I might do to fix this?
1st: Don't panic.

You are @ Juno now? I noticed that the update to Juno actually Just
Worked (kind of). Usually, I've had to completely reinstall Eclipse to
get the next version.

Anyway: Did you possibly install GWT outside of Eclipse at one point?
Also, it looks like Google Plugin for Eclipse (GPE) is broken. I did
notice that GPE seemed to break when moving to Juno.

It seems you're just missing GWT, and you might need to reinstall GPE.
Your build info is stored as part of your workspace. But, since GPE
isn't loading, there's nothing that Eclipse cannot provide you access to it.

Try installing Google Plugin For Eclipse, but only enough to get GWT
going. Do you use App Engine? If not, don't select that. Do you need the
UI designer? If not, don't select it. You can always go back and
reinstall those items.

RyanZA

Jul 29, 2012, 10:10:10 AM7/29/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I've seen this before. To fix it, just go to properties for the project, open the 'Google' section, then select 'Web Toolkit'. Change to 'Use specific SDK' and then pick a valid one. If there are no valid ones, just add the path manually in 'Configure SDKs'.

At least, that's always worked for me.

On Saturday, July 28, 2012 12:58:57 AM UTC+2, Chris wrote:
I just updated eclipse and now all GWT projects are broken.  I inspect the installation and I see everything is installed, the problem is that:

*All my run configurations are gone

*There is no option to run anything as Web Application.

*Error log includes:
  -Unable to restore perspective: Workspace - Java.
  -Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in: "org.eclipse.ui.workbench".

*Errors in build path:
[Persisted Container]
 "com.google.gwt.eclipse.core.GWT_CONTAINER"
gwt-user.jar (missing)
gwt-dev.jar (missing)

Can anyone offer a suggestion what I might do to fix this?

Jeffrey Chimene

Jul 29, 2012, 10:42:13 AM7/29/12
On 7/29/2012 7:10 AM, RyanZA wrote:
I've seen this before. To fix it, just go to properties for the project, open the 'Google' section, then select 'Web Toolkit'. Change to 'Use specific SDK' and then pick a valid one. If there are no valid ones, just add the path manually in 'Configure SDKs'.

At least, that's always worked for me.

Haven't heard from the OP, but if he's upgraded to Juno, he might need the newer GPE. It's always possible to add the GWT libraries, but that might not be enough to get out of the ditch.