Drag & drop

Celinio

Oct 29, 2011, 4:13:59 PM10/29/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi GWT developers,

what can GWT offer regarding the drag and drop capabilities ?

1) Can i easily do some drag and drop, in the same web page, from one widget to another ?
2) Can i easily do drag and drop some file from the file explorer to a widget in a web page ?

I'm thinking of providing the drag and drop feature to the user, if he needs to attach a document to form (instead of using the Import/Upload button).

Thanks for helping.

Bruno Sandivilli

Oct 29, 2011, 6:24:22 PM10/29/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

Bruno Sandivilli

Oct 29, 2011, 6:24:35 PM10/29/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
+1

Ed

Oct 30, 2011, 3:02:35 PM10/30/11
to Google Web Toolkit
See the probject gwt-dnd: http://code.google.com/p/gwt-dnd/
The owner is a member of the gwt dev team.
- Ed

darkflame

Oct 31, 2011, 9:15:37 AM10/31/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Strongly second "gwt-dnd". Its excelent, very very flexible and works
well.

I have worked on two rather massive projects which used it for a
(game) inventory system and it really saved a lot of work. We even
have used it to have dragging and dropping accross multiple
inventorys.

Not sure exactly why it isnt built into GWT, but its certainly no pain
to use.
Just be very sure to track your drophandlers and be sure to unattach
them correctly when they arnt attached to the page anymore.

Konstantin Zolotarev

Oct 31, 2011, 10:31:53 AM10/31/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Also GWT has native HTML5 DnD support.

You could find more info about it here :GWT + HTML5: A web developers dream!

Celinio

Nov 11, 2011, 11:59:29 AM11/11/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
2) Can i easily do drag and drop some file from the file explorer to a widget in a web page ?

I  haven't seen any example that does that.
Is is possible ?
The presentation of John La Banca about GWT + HTML5 has a part about the drag and drop feature but it's from one widget to another widget.
I would like to know if it's possible to drag a file from the windows file explorer and add it to a widget, for instance a celltable.

Thanks !

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Konstantin Zolotarev <Konstantin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Also GWT has native HTML5 DnD support.

You could find more info about it here :GWT + HTML5: A web developers dream!

Derek

Nov 12, 2011, 9:04:26 AM11/12/11
to Google Web Toolkit
You can do it using some of the drag and drop HTML5 javascript stuff.
http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/dnd/basics/

There aren't any GWT libraries that wrap around the Javascript, but
you can make your own using overlays.