Google axing GWT?

dka...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2012, 12:31:09 PM4/26/12
to Google Web Toolkit
Some of my contacts down in Atlanta tell me Google is making big
changes to the GWT team and word is they are going to eliminate GWT
and a number of other projects. Can anyone from Google confirm or
deny?

dominikz

Apr 26, 2012, 12:43:14 PM4/26/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

dka...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2012, 1:34:31 PM4/26/12
to Google Web Toolkit
Yes I am aware of this. There have been further developments recently
in terms of staff, and supposedly one of the other projects being cut
is Dart. I'll admit, maybe some of the current (and former) GWT team
members down in Atlanta aren't seeing the whole picture, but from
where they sit it looks pretty grim.

On Apr 26, 11:43 am, dominikz <dominik.zalew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gee man...
>
> are you aware of all this?https://groups.google.com/d/topic/google-web-toolkit/YgVlmth_6SU/disc...

Joseph Lust

Apr 27, 2012, 1:11:09 PM4/27/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I'll keep praying for GWT. Let's see what transpires at Google IO in June.

Joe

Mauro Oliveira

Apr 27, 2012, 3:26:09 PM4/27/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
+1

On 27 April 2012 14:11, Joseph Lust <lifeo...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'll keep praying for GWT. Let's see what transpires at Google IO in June.

Joe

Steve

Apr 27, 2012, 4:12:26 PM4/27/12
to Google Web Toolkit
https://plus.google.com/110412141990454266397/posts/8nmmgp4AChM

Enjoy.

On Apr 27, 3:26 pm, Mauro Oliveira <mauro.no...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1

Daniel Mauricio Patino León

Apr 27, 2012, 4:19:47 PM4/27/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I think GWT its a very good open source project. We use it to develop RIA and we love it. Like  Joseph i'll pray to google make it better and improve it.
What about a thread where people +1 if want that google keep working on it? there  exist one?

Greetings from Mexico.
--
ISC. Daniel Mauricio Patiño León.
Director ejecutivo

Paul Stockley

Apr 27, 2012, 8:48:12 PM4/27/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
It looks like the GWT guys who left to go to new startups are still using GWT. This bodes well for future support even if Google isn't directly involved anymore.

El 27 de abril de 2012 15:12, Steve <stra...@gmail.com> escribió:
https://plus.google.com/110412141990454266397/posts/8nmmgp4AChM

Enjoy.

On Apr 27, 3:26 pm, Mauro Oliveira <mauro.no...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1
>
> On 27 April 2012 14:11, Joseph Lust <lifeofl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I'll keep praying for GWT. Let's see what transpires at Google IO in June.
>
> > Joe
>
> > --

> >http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.

Gmane

Apr 27, 2012, 1:23:26 AM4/27/12
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
I don't know about this story, but if that would be the case, then GWT
will be just "WT". I think many people have checked-out the GWT source
and even Google would no longer officially support it, I think the
community will still be there. Unless there comes a better way of
translating Java to Javascript code. Cheers.

Travis Webb

Apr 27, 2012, 1:48:39 PM4/27/12
to Google Web Toolkit
Hey Joe! Funny seeing you here.

Obviously Google is making a lot of people nervous, with the following
factors at play:
1. the release and promotion of Dart
2. the unusually long time lapse since the 2.4 release
3. the lack of any roadmap

#2 and #3 were sort of humorously posted as bugs, but the GWT dev team
didn't take kindly to this.

The release lapse between 1.4-->1.5 was a full year, so perhaps we're
in for a similar wait for 2.4-->2.5. Google and the community are
heavily invested in GWT, so it will live on regardless of what Google
decides.

-tjw

Eric Clayberg (Google)

Apr 30, 2012, 10:52:48 AM4/30/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
GWT is not based in ATL and we are definitely not axing it. GWT has been based in Mountain View for most of the past year and that is where all of the GWT 2.5 work that Ray Cromwell references is being done. GWT 2.5 has taken a bit longer to get out than we originally planned, but it also includes some very significant new functionality (like Elemental which Ray references in his G+ post). The GWT project remains very stable and viable, and we plan to keep it that way long term (keep in mind that Google relies on GWT just as much as the external community). Any changes planned for the GWT team will actually help ensure that and are unrelated to anything going on in ATL.

Eric Clayberg (Google)

Apr 30, 2012, 10:54:35 AM4/30/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
The Dart project is also not based in ATL and most definitely is not being cut in any way, shape or form.

It continues to do extremely well and is on track for a major release later this year.

Raja Khan

Apr 30, 2012, 2:29:12 PM4/30/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Eric for taking the time to address...

Travis Webb

May 5, 2012, 2:03:42 PM5/5/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Eric,

Thanks for replying. I have been looking for such comforting words from someone inside Google and have been unable to find them until now. Not having a roadmap truly leaves us in the dark, which is the cause of speculation on this topic. You can keep it sufficiently vague to cover your own asses, but even something like "GWT 2.6 is be released between 2013 and 2015" would be tremendously useful. That the world's organizer of information is keeping its community in the dark by withholding information is a bit ironic, and some might call this hypocritical. Thanks again for the reassurance.

-tjw

Eric Clayberg (Google)

May 5, 2012, 10:37:01 PM5/5/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
We are hoping to release GWT 2.5 soon (before the end of the quarter).

Handw

May 6, 2012, 9:01:07 PM5/6/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
That is a really good news.

Jmscavaleiro

May 7, 2012, 4:13:32 AM5/7/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
that's great Eric. Is very good to know. GWT developers needs this kind of information to continuing to believe in this technology.

Keep the good work and please consider to brief about this topic and GWT developers concerns inside Google. W need to be heard. We love and believe in google just please don't betray our confidence. We need infos.

Best regards,
João Cavaleiro.

Hermann RANGAMANA

May 7, 2012, 3:58:37 PM5/7/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,
That's good to hear! Is there any "what's new" list of this new version of gwt ?

thanks again!

Dmitry Degtyarev

May 10, 2012, 8:09:28 AM5/10/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the news. There is really quite a lot of discussion about the future of the project GWT. We invest extensively in the study of GWT by our experts, therefore, do not want to be at an impasse.

Dimitrijević Ivan

May 11, 2012, 9:57:10 AM5/11/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

1) Compiler optimizations that reduce code by size by 30% uncompressed, and 15% gzipped

2) SourceMap support and Source-Level Java debugging in Chrome (and hopefully Firefox)
3) A „super draft mode“ that can recompile many apps in under 10 seconds and most under 5
4) New „to the metal“ „modern browser“ HTML bindings
5) Testing framework that makes GUI testing delightful
6) Incremental compile support to speed up production compiles

Travis Webb

May 12, 2012, 10:52:48 PM5/12/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info Eric. It's really important that you guys maintain confidence among developers. No one in their right mind adopts a technology if they can't be sure of whether the current release is its last. I know Google is historically non-committal in this area, but for such a mature and ubiquitous project it's time that Google lay its cards on the table.

-tjw