Deployment API

nik cubrilovic

Jul 7, 2011, 1:33:02 AM7/7/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Is there any plan to provide a deployment API? Let me give you an idea of the scenario. I build an application, for example a CMS for small to medium businesses. Instead of hosting a single large instance that is multi-homed for each customer, I deploy the application by setting up an appengine account for each customer, or they provide the credentials, and I then deploy the application along with their configuration to their appengine instance (or apps for domain).

At the moment, I could mimick this by proxying the auth and forms and then wrapping appcfg.py, or digging into the python SDK and finding the modules and methods that appcfg.py uses for deployment.

Ideally, there would be a deployment API, and even better, an appengine 'app store' where apps customers or appengine customers can shop for apps and click to deploy to their own appengine instances.

I think this would be a big hit - especially with open source software. A one-click install could give a Google account user their own hosted blog, or todo list, or mini-CRM, or whatever.

What is the best way to achieve this atm? I think it would be interesting if a user lands on my site, decides that they would like to try out the application, and within an oauth request and a click (where they specify the appid they wish to use) my server can deploy the application for them.

Apologies if this is already out there somewhere in some form, I searched but couldn't find any mention of anything specific like this

Cheers,
Nik

Ikai Lan (Google)

Jul 8, 2011, 2:43:23 PM7/8/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
There already is something like this for apps customers called the "Apps Marketplace":

As far as a deploy API goes: the answer is "maybe". Even for developers that don't sell apps, there are a lot of use cases where people want deployments integration with their continuous integration environments.

Ikai Lan

Rajkumar Radhakrishnan

Sep 12, 2011, 10:11:50 PM9/12/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Updating this thread, so that if someone ends up on this thread looking a deployment API to enable deployment to multiple customers..

Ideally, there would be a deployment API, and even better, an appengine 'app store' where apps customers or appengine customers can shop for apps and click to deploy to their own appengine instances.

I think this would be a big hit - especially with open source software. A one-click install could give a Google account user their own hosted blog, or todo list, or mini-CRM, or whatever.

..they are most likely looking for a Marketplace for Google App Engine apps.

Don't forget to star this feature request, if you would provide a "one-click install" for your customers.

Thanks & Regards,
Raj

Build online database applications, over Google App Engine.
iFreeTools Creator - http://creator.ifreetools.com